• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Fatma Said; Lunchtime Concert, Sunday, 21/1/18

This is a repeat of last Monday's broadcast, but I missed it then, and haven't seen any reference to it elsethread. Many of us will remember the vividly good impression this singer made on us when Cali drew our attention to her Brahms in the "Woy U Listening 2" Thread just before Christmas. In this, her Wigmore Hall debut with pianist James Vaughan she sings works by Schumann, Mendelssohn, Poulenc, and Egyptian composer, Sherif Mohie El Din (b1964). Sara Mohr-Pietsch presents.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]
  • Zucchini
    • Nov 2010

With looks like this it should have been on telly

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
      With looks like this it should have been on telly
      https://arcana.fm/tag/fatma-said/
      The Brahms song mentioned by fhg happily was, well on video...

Thanks for the reminder in post #1 - the repeat today was well-timed and I was able to listen. Great voice (very good piano too - now I'm practising song accompaniments, my ears are ever-more attuned to and impressed by pianists' contributions...). I wasn't quite drawn in as much as I'd expected, perhaps that says something about the performances - but more likely about the fact it was coming through the radio... Songs and singers are the ultimate example of music best heard live - I bet the recital was entrancing live in the hall.
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Quarky
        • Dec 2010

Accepting she has a great voice, I have the impression she would fit easily into the pop-classical world of Katharine Jenkin and André Rieu. Assuming she would like to go that way.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Vespare View Post
          Accepting she has a great voice, I have the impression she would fit easily into the pop-classical world of Katharine Jenkin and André Rieu. Assuming she would like to go that way.
          Nothing similar occurred to me while listening. In my experience the ambience of a Wigmore Hall Lieder recital is far removed from the world of those two.

Comment

• Quarky
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
            Nothing similar occurred to me while listening. In my experience the ambience of a Wigmore Hall Lieder recital is far removed from the world of those two.
            My comments were based on Caliban's video clip and various clips available on You Tube, which emphasized "glamour".

Although I did not attend the Wigmore recital, I believe she may have been attired in jeans and a formless woolly- pully. No glamour, just voice.

I remain of the view she could go in a pop direction, if she wanted, but (hopefully) may stay "strictly classical".

Comment

Working...
            X