X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Andras Schiff plays and conducts Chicago SO 4/11/17

Fantastic Concert. First half was Haydn Symphony 88 and Bartok Divertimento. Second was Bach Keyboard Concerto #5 and finale was Beethoven PC1. Schiff is a very activist Conductor and the reduced Orchestra followed him closely. In the Beethoven he would leap off the stool to lead the purely Orchestral Parts. He played the longest of the composer’s cadenzas in I, which I had never heard before. It’s quite long, about 2/3 of what has preceded it, and very madcap, very much of a piece with the whole mock military style of the movement.
    Schiff oozes charisma. There was sustained applause and he played Bartok’s Swineherd Dance for an encore. I wish that he came to Chicago more often
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Do you know if the concert was recorded to be available to listen to online?

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Do you know if the concert was recorded to be available to listen to online?
      It probably was, but when it become available is the issue. WFMT, our local station that broadcasts on line at 320bps, usually plays these concerts a few weeks afterwards on Sunday afternoons here. There is no “I Player” type service here

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

Btw, Bryn

, fellow in the seat next to me was visiting from Dundee...he does something with early music groups there but I didn’t recognize the names of the ensembles. He and his friends had a great time as well.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Sounds like a wonderful concert, RFG. I hope they make a recording.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

He is in Birmingham on 18th November I see - one does wonder who does the planning for their concerts - to see Uchida, Pires and Schiff in three weeks would put a strain on the bank balance

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
              He is in Birmingham on 18th November I see - one does wonder who does the planning for their concerts - to see Uchida, Pires and Schiff in three weeks would put a strain on the bank balance
              Although it makes it easier to do comparisons.
              Given the choice it’s better to have to many choices then to few

Comment

Working...
              X