• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Lawes etc; AAM/Egarr; R3 in Concert, Thurs 2/11/17

Following the recent discussions about William Lawes (and last Saturday's BaL on Dowland), Forumistas might be interested in a rare chance to hear his Fantasia a 6 in C in Thursday evening's Live broadcast of the Academy of Ancient Music's concert from the Milton Court Concert Hall in the Barbican. Richard Egarr directs this "mostly-English" programme, also including works by Purcell, Arne, Blow, and Handel's Cuckoo & Nightingale.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Oh thanks for the thumbs up here Ferney! Looking to listen to more of this period in the future.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
      Oh thanks for the thumbs up here Ferney! Looking to listen to more of this period in the future.

I didn't know that Lawes and Dowland were part of the AAM's repertory - but see that they've recorded Gibbons, Byrd, and Castello.

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

I didn't know that Lawes and Dowland were part of the AAM's repertory - but see that they've recorded Gibbons, Byrd, and Castello.
        There was a 1978 set for the Folio Society called 'The Armada Years', where the AAM did the English music and Hesperion XX did the Spanish. And of course Christopher Hogwood recorded Byrd and Gibbons on the harpsichord.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I didn't spot the Lawes discussion under last week's BAL thread (has it been deleted?) but he is a fascinating figure. He took viol consort writing to a new level...some would say up a blind alley...but I love my Fretwork version of sets for 5 & 6 parts (with Paul Nicholson, organ) on the Virgin Classics label. William Lawes was an interesting figure, a favourite of Charles I, who in his status as a personal servant was required to accompany his monarch to Civil War battles. He was not a combatant, but was 'casually shot' by a Parliamentarian at one such engagement.

I love Purcell's Fantasias for viols too. Another late flowering of an almost extinct medium.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
            There was a 1978 set for the Folio Society called 'The Armada Years', where the AAM did the English music and Hesperion XX did the Spanish.
            ... que voici :

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
              There was a 1978 set for the Folio Society called 'The Armada Years', where the AAM did the English music and Hesperion XX did the Spanish.
              Many thanks, Micky - now that would be a CD (re)issue I would certainly acquire.

And of course Christopher Hogwood recorded Byrd and Gibbons on the harpsichord.
              Indeed - some of those recordings on the big box Bryn linked to. I'd previously thought that the AAM ensemble/orchestra was "reserved" for Music written between (roughly) Purcell and Beethoven - really looking forward to hearing how they perform Lawes and Dowland.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                I didn't spot the Lawes discussion under last week's BAL thread (has it been deleted?) but he is a fascinating figure.
                My bad, ardy - the Dowland discussion followed the BaL, but the Lawes discussions appeared on the What Baroque/Early/etc Music Are You Listening To? Thread - begun by Richard Barrett.

Do you know Geoffrey Hill's final collection of poems, Clavics, by any chance? The sequence was inspired by Lawes' (as you say) fascinating life - and his even more remarkable Music, of course.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                  • Jan 2016

My bad, ardy - the Dowland discussion followed the BaL, but the Lawes discussions appeared on the What Baroque/Early/etc Music Are You Listening To? Thread - begun by Richard Barrett.

Do you know Geoffrey Hill's final collection of poems, Clavics, by any chance? The sequence was inspired by Lawes' (as you say) fascinating life - and his even more remarkable Music, of course.
                  Is it possible to move the relevant posts into a Lawes thread?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                    Is it possible to move the relevant posts into a Lawes thread?
                    No sooner said than ...

(Do you know Hill's Clavics at all, Richard?)

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                      • Jan 2016

No sooner said than ...

(Do you know Hill's Clavics at all, Richard?)
                      Thank you sir. And no, I have no idea at all what that is.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                        And no, I have no idea at all what that is.
                        Geoffrey Hill's final poem sequence, which I've been delighting in, baffled by, infuriated with and generally chewing over since February. I'll post an example or two on the "Poetry" Thread - I love the way it plays with simple, "traditional" features of rhyme and regular meter (as if cocking a very eloquent snook at critics of free verse), and the outrageous puns - but is so rich in allusion and so elusive in "meaning". A response to features and ideas he discovered in Lawes' Music and life.

Clavics An elegiac sequence, mourning for the musician William Lawes who was killed at the Battle of Chester in 1645. Delicately constructed, each page has a section made up of two stanzas, together forming the shape of a key. Before long, however, the tone makes it clear that nothing is to be taken at face … Continued

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Geoffrey Hill's final poem sequence, which I've been delighting in, baffled by, infuriated with and generally chewing over since February. I'll post an example or two on the "Poetry" Thread - I love the way it plays with simple, "traditional" features of rhyme and regular meter (as if cocking a very eloquent snook at critics of free verse), and the outrageous puns - but is so rich in allusion and so elusive in "meaning". A response to features and ideas he discovered in Lawes' Music and life.

https://enitharmon.co.uk/product/clavics-geoffrey-hill/
                          ... o you tempter you -

( I might invest 1p plus p&p ]

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            http://amzn.eu/7sYcPXl

( I might invest 1p plus p&p ]
                            Surely it's worth splashing out for the hardback!

But seriously fg, that looks like something I'd be very interested in looking at, thanks for the tip.

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Do you know Geoffrey Hill's final collection of poems, Clavics, by any chance?
                              No...but thanks for the nudge. I'll delve at once.

Comment

Working...
                              X