• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Rachel Podger land Brecon Baroque R3 in Concert Tuesday 31 October

Rachel Podger leads Brecon Baroque in "Harmony and Invention", a programme of Italian music, including Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

Recorded at Theatr Brecheiniog on 28th October
    Presented by Nicola Heywood Thomas

Giovanni Gabrieli, Legrenzi, and Vivaldi's
    Rachel Podger leads Brecon Baroque in music from Venice, including Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

The Guardian reviewed
    I Fagiolini delivered a gutsy, refined rendering of Monteverdi’s Other Vespers and the Brecon Baroque gave the Four Seasons thrilling new life
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

She gave the Brecon Baroque Festival a mighty good plug when she was presenting (for the first time) Saturday Classics at the weekend!

Baroque violinist Rachel Podger introduces music that has inspired her.

(near the end)

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Thanks for the thumbs up, DS! Will be listening!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• doversoul1
        Ex Member
        • Dec 2010

Very much enjoying this concert on iPlayer. I was looking forward to hearing this:

Vivaldi’s concerto The Four Seasons is such obviously familiar territory that it might seem best avoided. But Rachel Podger – director of the Brecon Baroque festival and her ensemble of the same name – has the knack of breathing new life into the repertoire. She did precisely that by prefacing each of the concertos with the descriptive sonnets Vivaldi had originally matched to the music. The words were read first in Italian by lutenist Daniele Caminiti – earlier the expressive soloist in Vivaldi’s lute concerto (RV230) – and then in English by Podger, and this approach permitted the musical embodiment of the personae and meteorological phenomena to emerge in fresh lighthttps://www.theguardian.com/music/20...ing-monteverdi

...but it seems to have been edited off.

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if those in control thought that the sonnets might be too highbrow and that listeners may be lost because of them. Good grief!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
            • Jan 2011

Really enjoyed this on iplayer. Have also enjoyed RP's stint on Saturday Classics - she seems to be enjoying herself immensely!

The concept in the thread title of Rachel Podger_land is intriguing - A Baroque Stravaganza, perhaps, somewhere just outside Brecon?

OG

Comment

• Quarky
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
              Really enjoyed this on iplayer. Have also enjoyed RP's stint on Saturday Classics - she seems to be enjoying herself immensely!

The concept in the thread title of Rachel Podger_land is intriguing - A Baroque Stravaganza, perhaps, somewhere just outside Brecon?

OG
              Rachel can do no wrong, as far as I am concerned.

If Schubert's symphony was a formative influence, then I guess I ought to try harder with it!!

Comment

Working...
              X