Gordon Crosse: Symphony No. 3 "Between Despair and Dawn" (world premiere)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Slater
    • Mar 2007

Gordon Crosse: Symphony No. 3 "Between Despair and Dawn" (world premiere)

It seems that the world premiere performance of Gordon Crosse's Symphony No. 3 is to be broadcast tomorrow (27th October), tucked away in Radio 3's 'Afternoon Concert', some time before 5pm.

Also included are works by Rachel Portman, Edwin Roxburgh and Sally Beamish (Diodati - UK premiere).

The section of the programme containing all of these works begins at about 3.25pm.

Link to BBC programme page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09b0yd7.

It seems to have been recorded at a concert in Maida Vale on 6th October: https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/emncd4
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
    It seems that the world premiere performance of Gordon Crosse's Symphony No. 3 is to be broadcast tomorrow (27th October), tucked away in Radio 3's 'Afternoon Concert', some time before 5pm.

Also included are works by Rachel Portman, Edwin Roxburgh and Sally Beamish (Diodati - UK premiere).

The section of the programme containing all of these works begins at about 3.25pm.

It seems to have been recorded at a concert in Maida Vale on 6th October: https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/emncd4
    Thanks for the flyer, Andrew! I hadn't realised that Gordon Crosse was still living!!! Sally Beamish and Edwin Roxburgh are very fine composers, in my book - Roxburgh an educationalist of great merit too, whose performance of Stockhausen's Trans with a student orchestra I heard on R3 many years ago, and taped. Ms Portmen's name is new to me. I shall definitely be listening.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Ms Portmen's name is new to me. I shall definitely be listening.
      "Portman", S_A (there's only one of her): you may know her work from her many film and television scores (Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit, Sirens, Where Angels Fear to Tread.)

My thanks to Andrew, too.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

...It seems to have been recorded at a concert in Maida Vale on 6th October: https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/emncd4
        I applied foraticket but was unsuccessful.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
          • Aug 2015

Great news.

He has just turned 80 and there is a flurry of events including an airing of "Purgatory" in Singapore.

It will be Singapore’s first immersive experiential opera, where live painting, devised theatre, poetry, visual art, and opera will merge for an hour of macabre spectacle.

Gordon Crosse - Composer. 516 likes · 15 talking about this. The official Facebook page to support and promote the music of composer Gordon Crosse (1937-2021). Page managed by Mark Hewitt...

Comment

• Beresford
            • Apr 2012

Gordon Crosse is very much alive and active. Last Sunday I went to a Musical Celebration of his 80th birthday (which is on 1st December) in Manchester University, given by some of his long time collaborators - John Turner (recorders), Richard Simpson (oboe), Lesley-Jane Rogers (soprano) and the Solem string quartet. Gordon was there; he spoke briefly, thanking the performers and composers who contributed items for the concert. The programme was:

Gordon Crosse - Three songs 1988 - 2008
            Peter Hope - Summer Sings.
            John Manduell - Verses From Calvary - a setting of a Yeats poem
            Dvorak - Cypresses - quartet arrangement of his love songs based on poems by Gustav Pfleger-Moravsky.
            John Joubert - setting of a Wendy Cope poem.
            Cheryl Frances-Hoad - I'll Have the Whetstone - A fun song based on a poem in The Guizer by Alan Garner.
            Rob Keeley - Cadeau - a medieval French song set in "cod organum" style, and offered with friendship and admiration.
            Robin Holloway - Terzettino No 5 - string trio.
            Kevin Malone - I Live in Love-Longing - song.
            Gordon Crosse - String Quartet No 5 (2015).
            Vic Hoyland - Yellow Sands - setting words from Shakespeare's Tempest.
            Elis Pehkonen - Awake my Lute "...the atonal start is a description of the flight from Westray to Papa Westray - the shortest commercial flight in the world". The notes say, rather poignantly, "This is the last piece of music I intend to write".

According to Wikipedia, Gordon composed very little for about 17 years, while he was working on computer software, and he was persuaded by John Turner to restart in 2007.
            There was a lovely atmosphere in the Cosmo Rodewald Concert Hall, with many old friends, composers and musicians, glad to be part of the celebration.

I first came across the music of Gordon Crosse at this clarinet recital:
            Filmed Live at the Martin Harris Centre, The University of Manchester 13th December 2013 Dov Goldberg - clarinet Gordon Crosse (born 1937) A Year and a Day,…
            Last edited by Beresford; 26-10-17, 22:16.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

Thanks Andrew

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Following the, I thought, powerfully impressive Roxburgh and Crosse works, it was a shame that time ran out for performance of the Sally Beamish piece, Diodati, which according to RT was due its UK premier at this concert. Did I miss an apology? Ms Beamish's website write-up suggests a work every bit on a par with its weighty companion pieces:

I'll have a double please - make it Beamish!

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                  • Mar 2007

I was in the car, but I could have sworn that there was a Beamish piece in the programme - didn't catch the title, though!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

I was in the car, but I could have sworn that there was a Beamish piece in the programme - didn't catch the title, though!
                    I was called out for a few minutes - maybe that was it!!!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      I was called out for a few minutes - maybe that was it!!!
                      Yes Diodati begins a little after 2:28 and lasts just over 11 mins.
                      I was very impressed with these four pieces.
                      Last edited by EdgeleyRob; 27-10-17, 23:41.

Comment

Working...
                      X