X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Michael Collins conducts...

With the BBCSO in a London performance of An American in Paris, used as a filler yesterday afternoon but well worth catching if you like the piece. It just seemed to be one of those performances where everything feels right inc a wonderfully played trumpet solo, as big and blousy as you like, it made me think of Harry James.
    I hadn't realised that Mr Collins conducted this sort of large-scale symphonic stuff. More please.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gradus View Post
    I hadn't realised that Mr Collins conducted this sort of large-scale symphonic stuff.
    No, he came to Bristol, with Isabelle van Keulen and I think probably London Winds, and conducted Weill's Concerto for violin and winds. It was an electrifying performance and I bought a CD of the work. But since then I haven't really found it that interesting. What a difference live performance can make.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
    X