• Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Martyn Brabbins conducts the BBC Singers - broadcast 29.09.17

Recorded on 23rd September at Milton Court, London

This is Rattle: Birtwistle

Martyn Brabbins conducts the BBC Singers in Varèse, Machaut, Byrd and Birtwistle.

Varèse: Octandre
    Machaut: Messe de Nostre Dame (with Plainsong Tropes arranged for instruments by Harrison Birtwistle)
    Byrd: Lamentations
    Birtwistle: Pulse Sampler; The Moth Requiem

BBC Singers
    Nash Ensemble
    Martyn Brabbins, conductor

Ancient and modern meet in an intriguing programme that folds time back across the centuries, juxtaposing Varèse, Machaut, Byrd and Birtwistle.
    Simon Rattle has long championed Sir Harrison Birtwistle's music. Now Birtwistle returns the compliment with a personally-curated musical greeting.
    In his first concerts with the LSO, Rattle reaffirms his commitment to the powerful, unmistakably personal music of Harrison Birtwistle. Birtwistle's own vocal music - and that of his forebears - forms the heart of this musical tribute from composer to conductor.

Martyn Brabbins conducts the BBC Singers in the intimate but atmospheric space of Milton Court, in a work that they co-commissioned: the poignant and profoundly beautiful Moth Requiem of 2012. But Birtwistle layers the concert with memories and echoing voices from across eight centuries - from Machaut to Byrd and Varèse.
  • Quarky
    • Dec 2010

An excellent concert. Breaking down some fences.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

I heard this from the end of the Byrd Lamentations onwards - a work I didn't know existed. I agree with Vespare's assessment of "excellent"; and it was so good to re-encounter The Moth Requiem - I hadn't previously responded very positively to this piece, but last night's performance was riveting. Brabbins is a terrific conductor: I shall listen to the whole concert later today.

I missed the beginning of the broadcast, so didn't understand the references to Rattle at the end of the concert, nor in the Beeblurb that Alpie has quoted in the OP?
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        I heard this from the end of the Byrd Lamentations onwards - a work I didn't know existed...
        It's nearly always identified by its first words De Lamentatione, rather than Lamentations, I don't know why - possibly because it isn't exactly the text needed for liturgical use? But is not nearly as often performed as the Tallis, or even the White, or Byrd's own settings of words of regret and loss (for the old faith).

I enjoyed the concert. Ther treatment of the Machaut was very effective I thought

Comment

• bluestateprommer
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          I heard this from the end of the Byrd Lamentations onwards - a work I didn't know existed. I agree with Vespare's assessment of "excellent"; and it was so good to re-encounter The Moth Requiem - I hadn't previously responded very positively to this piece, but last night's performance was riveting. Brabbins is a terrific conductor: I shall listen to the whole concert later today.

I missed the beginning of the broadcast, so didn't understand the references to Rattle at the end of the concert, nor in the Beeblurb that Alpie has quoted in the OP?
          All the references to SSR obviously alluded to the fact that this was part of the "This Is Rattle" opening festival for the LSO's new season, to state the amazingly obvious. In this particular context, if memory serves, all the living composers whom SSR featured in his opening concert as LSO Music Director got the opportunity from SSR to design her/his own program for smaller ensembles. This was obviously Birtwistle's curated programme. Agree with the general consensus of the high quality of the performances, although I would have slightly preferred a bit more space between the intermixed Machaut and Birtwistle movements (more time to "come up for air", so to speak). Regardless, well done all around.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
            All the references to SSR obviously alluded to the fact that this was part of the "This Is Rattle" opening festival for the LSO's new season, to state the amazingly obvious. In this particular context, if memory serves, all the living composers whom SSR featured in his opening concert as LSO Music Director got the opportunity from SSR to design her/his own program for smaller ensembles. This was obviously Birtwistle's curated programme.
            So - what you're saying, bsp, is that ...
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
            X