• Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Sakari Oramo Sibelius Cycle: Symphony No 5 (live) 27.09.17

7.30 p.m.
    Radio 3 in Concert

Live from the Barbican. Sakari Oramo begins his Sibelius symphonies cycle with the BBC Symphony Orchestra with Symphony No. 5. Alina Pogostkina joins for Berg's Violin Concerto.

Richard Strauss: Death and Transfiguration
    Berg: Violin Concerto
    Sibelius; Symphony No 5 in E flat major

Alina Pogostkina, violin
    BBC Symphony Orchestra
    Sakari Oramo, conductor

Sakari Oramo conducts music by his fellow countryman Jean Sibelius, launching a Finnish theme for the BBC Symphony Orchestra's 2017-18 Barbican Season's concerts, which includes the complete Sibelius Symphonies. The exhilarating Fifth Symphony, which culminates in the evocation of swans in flight, starts this magnificent journey.

The young Richard Strauss imagines the end of a man's journey through life as his strength ebbs away and his mind reviews his achievements in Death and Transfiguration. And Russian violinist Alina Pogostkina performs Alban Berg's Violin Concerto - an intense and beautifully sensitive hymn devoted to Manon Gropius, the daughter of Alma (née Mahler) and Walter Gropius, who died aged 18.
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

I like Sibelius as much as the next person, ( assuming I'm not standing next to EdgeleyRob) but concert halls do seem to think there is an almost limitless demand to hear the symphonies and the VC.

But they must be right as I'm off to hear 6 and 7 at the RFH on Thursday.

( " Ringside" seats , £10 no booking fee, and hope for something better than rear stalls !!)
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      I like Sibelius as much as the next person, ( assuming I'm not standing next to EdgeleyRob) but concert halls do seem to think there is an almost limitless demand to hear the symphonies and the VC.

But they must be right as I'm off to hear 6 and 7 at the RFH on Thursday.

( " Ringside" seats , £10 no booking fee, and hope for something better than rear stalls !!)

Actually, it's Berg's Violin Concerto, not the mighty Finn's but it's always great to hear His symphonies. We used to hear them a LOT in Scotland when the late, great, Sir Alexander Gibson was music director of the (R)SNO but, alas, they have slightly fallen out of fashion the last few years. There's definitely an appetite for these works since the Usher Hall in Edinburgh was almost full when the RSNO's new music director, Thomas Sondergaard played No. 5 at the end of last season.

Go the Mighty Finn!

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
        Actually, it's Berg's Violin Concerto, not the mighty Finn's but it's always great to hear His symphonies. We used to hear them a LOT in Scotland when the late, great, Sir Alexander Gibson was music director of the (R)SNO but, alas, they have slightly fallen out of fashion the last few years. There's definitely an appetite for these works since the Usher Hall in Edinburgh was almost full when the RSNO's new music director, Thomas Sondergaard played No. 5 at the end of last season.

Go the Mighty Finn!
        Yes, I was just referring to the endless programming of the VC, rather than it being on tonight's programme. Although the Berg gets almost as much exposure.

Anyway, no doubt this new cycle will be excellent.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

I desperately wanted to hear Sir Simon und Die Berliner Philharmoniker play 5, 6 & 7 at the Barbican almost 3 years ago but, alas, I couldn't get the time off work. However, the day before the concert I sprained my ankle very badly on a loose paving stone and ended up in agony. So, after an x-ray, I was signed off work. Despite my pain which involved using a crutch, I 'phoned the Barbican and they had ONE return ticket which I bought.

And so, dosed up to the eye balls with co-codomol 30/500 mg tablets, I caught the 09.00 train from Waverley to Euston, arriving at 13.30. I spent the afternoon at the Barbican with my iPad until the concert which was simply amazing. A taxi back to Euston saw me on the overnight train back to Waverley, arriving knackered and still in pain but delighted to have heard such an iconic event.

Last year, I got the opportunity to speak to Sir Simon about that concert and he remarked 'My God - we were hanging on by our fingertips towards the end. But it took a LOT of convincing to persuade the orchestra to play all that Sibelius!'

Wonderful music!

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
            I desperately wanted to hear Sir Simon und Die Berliner Philharmoniker play 5, 6 & 7 at the Barbican almost 3 years ago but, alas, I couldn't get the time off work. However, the day before the concert I sprained my ankle very badly on a loose paving stone and ended up in agony. So, after an x-ray, I was signed off work. Despite my pain which involved using a crutch, I 'phoned the Barbican and they had ONE return ticket which I bought.

And so, dosed up to the eye balls with co-codomol 30/500 mg tablets, I caught the 09.00 train from Waverley to Euston, arriving at 13.30. I spent the afternoon at the Barbican with my iPad until the concert which was simply amazing. A taxi back to Euston saw me on the overnight train back to Waverley, arriving knackered and still in pain but delighted to have heard such an iconic event.

Last year, I got the opportunity to speak to Sir Simon about that concert and he remarked 'My God - we were hanging on by our fingertips towards the end. But it took a LOT of convincing to persuade the orchestra to play all that Sibelius!'

Wonderful music!
            Great story, PG! Sibelius has always been popular in the UK and that shows no sign of diminishing, even after the anniversary celebrations in 2015 (can it really be that long ago?).

Should be able to catch tomorrow night's concert live.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Up in Yorkshire it is still a rarity to see of the symphonies any but the Second or Fifth programmed in concerts.

Comment

• arthroceph
                • Oct 2012

ref. pastoralguy: cool story!

Comment

• arthroceph
                  • Oct 2012

A new interpretation and yet another of the many times I have listened to the Berg vnconc and I still can't get it.

Somehow my ears need to follow a line, doesn't have to be a melodic line, but a set of sound patterns that sequentially hang together. I can't uncover them in this work!

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Tremendous performance of Sibelius 5 just now. The BBC SO and Sakari Oramo in absolutely cracking form and if you missed it it's one to catch from the I-player.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      Tremendous performance of Sibelius 5 just now. The BBC SO and Sakari Oramo in absolutely cracking form and if you missed it it's one to catch from the I-player.
                      Noted!
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Alison
                        • Nov 2010

Never a big Sibelian, I feel really up for this new 'cycle'.

It's good to hear the orchestra playing so well.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                          • Nov 2010

In the hall tonight I thought that the best performance in a very well played evening was the first item, Strauss's Death and Transfiguration.

This is not heard as often as Zarathustra or Ein Heldenleben, but deserves to be programmed more frequently. It was a completely assured performance and I look forward to hear the BBC SO in more Strauss.

I was sitting about half way back in the stalls, and as so often in this concerto I found it quite difficult to hear the soloist. This is not the first time that I've found the violin to be swamped by the orchestra, especially the frequent interjections from the trombones. Perhaps this is one work that can sound better on a recording than live in the concert hall

I enjoyed the Sibelius, a little too fast in the first movement? Still, the orchestra is in top form and carried it off very well. Altogether a fine evening at the Barbican.

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Certainly echo praise for the Strauss. Terrific lower brass.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Looks like an intriguing concert. Will have to catch up as I will with quite a few broadcasts this week!!
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                              X