Live in Concert - Bach's Goldberg Variations - Lars Vogt ( 7.30 p.m., 22.09.17)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Live in Concert - Bach's Goldberg Variations - Lars Vogt ( 7.30 p.m., 22.09.17)

How to listen to the Goldberg Variations? A work with an apocryphal backstory of a hapless count's sleepless nights, a mystical and labyrinthine Rubik's Cube of architectural structure, the most important work ever for harpischord, or a breakthrough recording by Glenn Gould? Perhaps it's best just to listen to it simply as a beautiful keyboard work. At any rate, the first edition was prefaced with the understated "Clavierübung consisting of an Aria with Diverse Variations for the Harpsichord with Two Manuals Composed for Music Lovers, to Refresh their Spirits, by Johann Sebastian Bach."

To begin, Schubert's set of Four Impromptus, D899, another work whose simple moniker belies the depth within. Although Schubert appears to have approved the title, there's nothing really improvisatory or lightweight about them. Each Impromptu is considerably lengthy and a perfectly thought-out expression of pianism. As well as anticipating the nocturnes of Chopin and John Field, the set is the first group of works by a major composer to break away from the dominance of the sonata form in the piano repertoire.

Schubert: 4 Impromptus D.899
    J S Bach: Goldberg Variations

Lars Vogt - piano.
  • amcluesent
    • Sep 2011

What's going on? The interval's already been 30 mins!

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I don't think it's live. It may have been recorded on Wednesday. The RT is coy about it. I missed any announcements, but am in the middle of the Goldbergs now. OMG they're a hard act to pull off if one knows Schiff or Hewitt.

Talking of the RT, how about this for glaring over-simplification:

Bach's Goldberg Variations follow not the melody but the bass line of the opening aria.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        I don't think it's live. It may have been recorded on Wednesday. The RT is coy about it. I missed any announcements, but am in the middle of the Goldbergs now. OMG they're a hard act to pull off if one knows Schiff or Hewitt.
        Especially with Schiff's 2015 Prom performance having been repeated on TtN last night.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

It was a recording. I think idiosyncratic is how I would sum up the performance of both the Schubert and the Bach, and not something I would make an effort to hear again.
          Neither was I particularly interested in the announcer's musings(over the final applause) as to whether the Goldberg variations are the pianistic equivalent of the Great North Run - the link being location apparently...

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

The RT is coy about it
            That's a charitable view of it. I came to the conclusion last year that no-one at RT saw any need to provide information(accurate or otherwise) for R3 listeners, and so after many decades of buying it I gave up, as none of the other content was of use or interest to me.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              Neither was I particularly interested in the announcer's musings (over the final applause) as to whether the Goldberg variations are the pianistic equivalent of the Great North Run - the link being location apparently...

And yet he is by far and away the most important part of the broadcast, judging by the image on the webpage:

I wonder how many new listeners would think the photo is of Lars Vogt...?

(Actually I thought they'd binned Mr Tomlinson. Sadly not, it seems.)
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                I wonder how many new listeners would think the photo is of Lars Vogt...?
                I have to admit I did.

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

..and he appears to have a rather poorly matched crown on his right maxillary central incisor.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

OK, what I really want to know--do Forumites prefer Piano or Harpsichord?

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                      Somewhat depends upon who is playing the respective instrument.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                        Yes!
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

It can also work minus the sichord.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                            • Nov 2010

...or accordion:
                            Goldberg Variations : Aria, var. 1., 8., 13., 14., 15., 19., 25., 30., Aria da Capo.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              Somewhat depends upon who is playing the respective instrument.
                              - all things being equal, Harpsichord.
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X