• Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Edinburgh 70: Mariinsky Orchestra, RSNO, Gergiev - broadcast 13.09.17

Edinburgh 70: Mariinsky Orchestra, RSNO, Gergiev
    Radio 3 in Concert

Two of the world's finest orchestras combine in this evening's concert from the Usher Hall, recorded last month during the Edinburgh International Festival. Russian conductor Valery Gergiev leads each in turn. His own Mariinsky Orchestra begins with Prokofiev's first symphony, the 'Classical', and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra performs Britten's Variations on a Theme of Frank Bridge, Britten's tribute to his former teacher. After the interval the orchestras join forces for Shostakovich's mighty Fourth Symphony, a work of gargantuan force and proportion.

Prokofiev: Symphony No 1 in D 'Classical', Op 25
    Britten: Variations on a Theme of Frank Bridge
    Shostakovich: Symphony No 4 in C minor, Op.4

Mariinsky Orchestra
    Royal Scottish National Orchestra
    Valery Gergiev Conductor
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Will be tuning in for this, no question. I've never forgotten Gergiev's Prom of the Shostakovich 4 in 2002 with the (then) Kirov Orchestra, a stunning performance.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• johnb
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      Will be tuning in for this, no question. I've never forgotten Gergiev's Prom of the Shostakovich 4 in 2002 with the (then) Kirov Orchestra, a stunning performance.
      I was there too. At the time I was nervous about the concert because I was taking a friend who had next to no experience of classical music, though she was open minded. As you say, it was a stunning performance and I needn't have worried - she was completely enthralled and very excited - so much so that we drove back to Bristol and stayed up watching the Shostakovich again on the video recorder (it was broadcast live on BBC2). I still have the recording, transferred onto DVD - though it isn't very good quality.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

I'll have to catch up on this. Looks great!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
          I'll have to catch up on this. Looks great!
          Catching p on this now. My goodness! When I saw the prok, I thought, oh no! Standard! Yes, standard rep, but when played by Marrinsky Orchestra, it's in their blood! The execution of the strings trills in the first two movements weas something else and also the general all round. I have just arrived at the Britten. Just as good, but I feel, in comparison,Tthe Mariinsky, has the upper hand, it terms of sound and general quality.

Hmm the Shostakovich, is waiting uin the wings. Will report back later.
          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            Catching p on this now. My goodness! When I saw the prok, I thought, oh no! Standard! Yes, standard rep, but when played by Marrinsky Orchestra, it's in their blood! The execution of the strings trills in the first two movements weas something else and also the general all round. I have just arrived at the Britten. Just as good, but I feel, in comparison,Tthe Mariinsky, has the upper hand, it terms of sound and general quality.

Hmm the Shostakovich, is waiting uin the wings. Will report back later.
            The Shosta 4 was something else. I have both the RSNO/Jarvi and Mariinsky/Gergiev but the work heard like this, was sublime. If I may use the word awesome,. it describes it very well!
            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Sir Velo
              • Oct 2012

Just listened to it on the iplayer app streamed via the little Arcam miniblink DAC through which it revealed great depth and detail to the soundstage. I always find this symphony too disjointed to be wholly satisfactory but this was a reading which convinced more than most; the final headlong climax positively overwhelming.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

I must try to hear it since this concert got a very sour review in The Times and earned a measly 2 stars. Friends who were at the concert said it was tremendous.

Who to believe...?

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

I listened to it last night and found all three performances somewhat prosaic. When one has heard the DSCH 4th from the likes of Kondrashin, Wigglesworth and Raiskn, this Gergiev performance pales into insignificance. Not a keeper.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

I didn't think so at all that I would give it 5 stars. I know these works rather well. Please see my posts above.
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                    X