• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
    Hiya cloughie,

I feel that composers, intrumentalists and conductors often do their best work when they are young, fresh and highly motivated. For my money Rattle's CBSO days are a case in point.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      Many of my favourite composers don't support Stanf's suggestion - Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Bruckner, Brahms, Wagner, Mahler, Debussy, Janacek, Stravinsky, Schoenberg; they all produced work that is at least as fine as, and often better than, their youthful masterpieces at the end of their lives. (And my bete gris, Verdi, certainly did.

It's possibly true of instrumentalists (and certainly true of singers) - but conductors? Tintner, Wand, Tennstedt all reached pinnacles of their career well past their young and fresh years; and many others who established youthful names for themselves went on to produce their best work in later age.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• doversoul1
        Ex Member
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Well they've got to fill concert spots with something now that the Proms are done! A good fanfare for the returning giant!
        That was my point: now that the proms are over, I was hoping to see/hear more song recitals, chamber music, new music, and early music. But what we have is yet more large orchestras playing largely main stream works. Yes, Sir Simon is a great talent the UK should be proud of but there are so many talented performers and composers in the UK who would merit hugely from Radio 3’s encouragement and promotion, as it did once upon a time to the early music performers in the 70s (so I have heard/read). Ah well.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          Many of my favourite composers don't support Stanf's suggestion - Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Bruckner, Brahms, Wagner, Mahler, Debussy, Janacek, Stravinsky, Schoenberg; they all produced work that is at least as fine as, and often better than, their youthful masterpieces at the end of their lives. (And my bete gris, Verdi, certainly did.

It's possibly true of instrumentalists (and certainly true of singers) - but conductors? Tintner, Wand, Tennstedt all reached pinnacles of their career well past their young and fresh years; and many others who established youthful names for themselves went on to produce their best work in later age.
          I wonder if a perception that composers often produce their best work when young is a recent one ? I think it probably tends to be true of Rock music, ( don't know why, probably something to do with money and commerce) which of course has such a powerful hold on media and perception, but it so obviously doesn't apply to many classical composers, ( I'll throw in RVW and Dvorak) that you wonder why the idea would have any credibility at all. If it does.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

Hiya ferneyhoughgeliebte,

Yes, I was getting rather carried away with my assertion that composer’s often do their best works when they are young. It would be more accurate to say that I am frequently surprised how excellent composer’s early works can be. I’m thinking of Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert, Mahler, Schumann, Britten, Glazunov, Shostakovich, RVW, Walton, Stravinsky, Schoenberg et al.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
              It would be more accurate to say that I am frequently surprised how excellent composer’s early works can be. I’m thinking of Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert, Mahler, Schumann, Britten, Glazunov, Shostakovich, RVW, Walton, Stravinsky, Schoenberg et al.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

I like the look of this afternoon's concert in this series
                Kabalevsky: Overture to Colas Breugnon
                Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 3 in D minor, Op. 30
                William Walton, arr. Rattle: Orchestral Pieces from Façade
                Dvořák: Slavonic Dances, Op. 72 (selection)
                Daniil Trifonov (piano)
                Berlin Philharmonic
                conductor Simon Rattle.

Going to have to give that a listen, I think.
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

... and Rameau, producing his first opera [ Hippolyte et Aricie 1733 ] at the age of fifty.

And his last [ Abaris, ou les Boréades 1763 ] not bad for an eighty-year-old...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    I like the look of this afternoon's concert in this series
                    Kabalevsky: Overture to Colas Breugnon
                    Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 3 in D minor, Op. 30
                    William Walton, arr. Rattle: Orchestral Pieces from Façade
                    Dvořák: Slavonic Dances, Op. 72 (selection)
                    Daniil Trifonov (piano)
                    Berlin Philharmonic
                    conductor Simon Rattle.

Going to have to give that a listen, I think.
                    Ooh! I shall certainly listen to the Rachmaninoff - I hadn't noticed this; many thanks, Cali

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

I'm doing some serious Radio 3 catch up this week. You might think being at home, I have time but there is still other things to do, doctor's appointments, hospital appointments, watching DVDs etc.
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Pianorak
                        • Nov 2010

Ooh! I shall certainly listen to the Rachmaninoff - I hadn't noticed this; many thanks, Cali
                        Ditto.
                        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Just got around to listening - not impressed. At all! Especially the horrible slowed down, camped up lead-in to the final climax.

Not a patch on - for example - the amazing Sunwook Kim / Bournemouth SO / Karabits live performance in 2015, which I've put on to wash out of the ears the mannered nonsense from Berlin

What did you think, ferney and pianorak?
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

With you all the way, Caliban. Awful, soupy stuff. Sorry to say, that's Rattle. Our Simon not flavour of the month for me

Comment

Working...
                            X