• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Rattling Through the Week

Has anyone counted how many hours we are to have Sir Simon next week on Radio 3 (I counted 14)? Is this meant to be a gesture of respect and welcome, plain infatuation, or simply a lazy programming?
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
    Has anyone counted how many hours we are to have Sir Simon next week on Radio 3 (I counted 14)? Is this meant to be a gesture of respect and welcome, plain infatuation, or simply a lazy programming?
    The cult of the celebrity has something to do with it, I'm afraid.
    And Just in case you haven't heard his name quite often enough by the end of the weeek, try a read through the 2017/18 Barbican season listings.I know you might expect to see it quite often there, but even so..........
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      The cult of the celebrity has something to do with it, I'm afraid.
      And Just in case you haven't heard his name quite often enough by the end of the weeek, try a read through the 2017/18 Barbican season listings.I know you might expect to see it quite often there, but even so..........
      Spot on. The BBC love celebrities. Rattle will be milked for all he is worth!

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Ignore it all if you want but Thursday's opening concert of the LSO season with Sir S**** R***** looks an absolute cracker and one I wish I could have attended.

The Beeb had a similar love-in with Gergiev back in the day but as long as we get live concerts like Thursday's relayed into our listening rooms I'm not unduly bothered.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• David-G
          • Mar 2012

This is a strange picture of the Barbican:

Sir Simon Rattle conducts his inaugural concert as LSO' musical director.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
            Spot on. The BBC love celebrities. Rattle will be milked for all he is worth!
            Oh dear! much that I am a fan of Sir Simon, there's an over doing regime can spoil things rather.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by David-G View Post
              This is a strange picture of the Barbican:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0949j2y
              Must have been renovated...

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
                Or maybe it's celebrating the fact that the UK has a talented, internationally successful conductor. Why the need to knock it on these boards? I am pleased that Sir Simon has returned to conduct what is probably our top orchestra and like his conducting.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  Or maybe it's celebrating the fact that the UK has a talented, internationally successful conductor. Why the need to knock it on these boards? I am pleased that Sir Simon has returned to conduct what is probably our top orchestra and like his conducting.
                  I agree with all your views and I have attended several of his concerts in Berlin and even interviewed Lady Rattle at Manor Wannsee. But the main area of concern is the fear of over exposure now he is back by the BBC. One forumite counted 14 hours of his conducting to be broadcast in a week which is quite ridiculous.
                  Last edited by Stanfordian; 11-09-17, 16:24.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

I think I can live with 14 hours in one week, so long as it is just one week. Not so different from COTW if you don't happen to like that week's choice?

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                      I think I can live with 14 hours in one week, so long as it is just one week. Not so different from COTW if you don't happen to like that week's choice?

Hiya oddoneout,

I could probably cope with that. As long as that is what it is!

I would agree with a previous post that the LSO is one of the finest orchestras in the country. I heard the Philharmonia on tour in Munich and Berlin in recent years and its sounded first class too.
                      Last edited by Stanfordian; 11-09-17, 16:59.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

I agree with all your views and I have attended several of his concerts in Berlin and even interviewed Lady Rattle at Manor Wannsee. But the main area of concern is the fear of over exposure now he is back by the BBC. One forumite counted 14 hours of his conducting to be broadcast in a week which is quite ridiculous.
                        Well they've got to fill concert spots with something now that the Proms are done! A good fanfare for the returning giant!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

Well they've got to fill concert spots with something now that the Proms are done! A good fanfare for the returning giant!
                          Hiya cloughie,

Despite my initial reservations (silly and totally unfounded) I think the Berliner Phil are in excellent hands with Rattle's replacement Kirill Petrenko. I attended a Philharmonie concert a year ago in Berlin with Petrenko conducting his visiting Bayerisches Staastsorchester an orchestra I believe is world class. Now I can fully understand why he was voted in by the Berliner Phil members as I thought Petrenko was quite inspirational and it was a knockout concert.

Kirill Petrenko's programme was:
                          Ligeti – Lontano
                          Bartók – Violin Concerto No. 1 (Frank Peter Zimmermann)
                          Strauss – Symphonia Domestica
                          Last edited by Stanfordian; 11-09-17, 18:45.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Hiya cloughie,

Despite my initial reservations (silly and totally unfounded) I think the Berli Phil are in excellent hands with Rattles' replacement Kirill Petrenko. I attended a Philharmonie concert a year ago in Berlin with Petrenko conducting his Bayerisches Staastsorchester. Now I can fully understand why he was voted in by the Berlin orchestra members as I thought Petrenko was quite inspirational in a knockout concert.

Kirill Petrenko's programme was:
                            Ligeti – Lontano
                            Bartók – Violin Concerto No. 1 (Frank Peter Zimmermann)
                            Strauss – Symphonia Domestica
                            I have not heard him but you are probably right there, Stanfordian, and I think Rattle's time for a change had come. The LSO will prove a better fit than with the BPO, good as that was, his recordings with them didn't for me have the excitement of his CBSO output.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

I have not heard him but you are probably right there, Stanfordian, and I think Rattle's time for a change had come. The LSO will prove a better fit than with the BPO, good as that was, his recordings with them didn't for me have the excitement of his CBSO output.
                              Hiya cloughie,

I feel that composers, intrumentalists and conductors often do their best work when they are young, fresh and highly motivated. For my money Rattle's CBSO days are a case in point.

Comment

Working...
                              X