X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DoctorT
    • Sep 2024

Ulster Orchestra's new Principal Conductor

I see that the Ulster Orchestra has just appointed JoAnn Falletta as its new principal conductor. I'm looking forward to hearing her, never knowingly having heard her conduct before. Hopefully we'll get some American music. Has anyone any comments?
  • amateur51

She's a name I know but nothing more. She's obviously an experienced conductor in USA, having conducted Virginia Symphony Orchestra and Buffalo Symphony Orchestra long-term (thanks wiki )

Youtube has a lot of film of her talking enthusiastically about her work & her orchestra but I haven't found anything of her 'in action'.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      She's a name I know but nothing more. She's obviously an experienced conductor in USA, having conducted Virginia Symphony Orchestra and Buffalo Symphony Orchestra long-term (thanks wiki )

Youtube has a lot of film of her talking enthusiastically about her work & her orchestra but I haven't found anything of her 'in action'.
      She's recorded for Naxos, including a programme of works by Griffes.

Comment

• Ventilhorn

Originally Posted by amateur51
        She's a name I know but nothing more. She's obviously an experienced conductor in USA, having conducted Virginia Symphony Orchestra and Buffalo Symphony Orchestra long-term
        We shall see how the Lady gets on. (Possible Prom appearance this year?)

However, I'm pleased to see the departure of Kenneth Montgomery - both for the orchestra's sake and his
        I'm sure we all wish him well..

VH:

Comment

• DoctorT

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
          She's recorded for Naxos, including a programme of works by Griffes.
          Thanks Ofcachap. I've just discovered this on my shelves: must give it a spin.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Wewill have towait and see. There is only one woman(imo), that has made any impact on the British orchestral scene and that is Marin Alsop.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

The late Ruth Gipps may not have been generally well known but she started several youth orchestras and trained many young players years ago.

Comment

• Ventilhorn

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                The late Ruth Gipps may not have been generally well known but she started several youth orchestras and trained many young players years ago.
                Mention must also be made of Kathleen Riddick, who championed women's rights to play in any orchestra, based on merit and not gender (Both the RPO and LSO were "male only" except for the occasional harpiste) and she formed her own excellent orchestra.

I played for her at Dorking Halls in the 1950s in a programme including Strauss's "Don Juan" and I was most impressed.

.Can't say the same about Jane Glover, I'm afraid, but that is, of course, my personal opinion

VH

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

I'm surprised about JoAnn Falletta, but she does seem to get a good sound from her orchestras. I liked her recording of Tyberg's symphony 3, and she also conducted some works by Siegmeister, such as the clarinet concerto. I think she could do very well.

Comment

• salymap
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

And the other, better known Ruth, Dame Ruth Railton, first conductor and founder of the wonderful National Youth Orchestra. Plus Imogen Holst, of course. Lots of women, mostly forgotten today

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Lets hope it will change. The Maestri of today are still prominently men, which at the present, seems quite out of context?
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Has the BBC even appointed a woman guest conductor?
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

I heard Kathleen Riddick a number of time with the Surrey Philharmonic Orchestra and she was very good, mentioned earlier by Ventilhorn. She was an imposing figure in huge flowery dresses, with a clear and energetic control of the orchestra. Her accompaniment in concerti knocked spots off many better known names. I think it was Brahms but I am sure I remember her with our own Peter Katin at Dorking.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

I briefly though the BBC Scottish might have appointed Susanna Mälkki in such a role, but it appears not.

Comment

• salymap
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Ruth Gipps had contacts apparently. My boss sent me to a little concert of new British works, accompanied by the composers concerned. We heard there would be a special guest, there was, the Duke of Edinburgh!
                              It was even in the DT Court Circular next day. The good looking young Naval Officer sat tapping his foot in time with the music, rather a fish out of water I thought. Great fun.

Unfortunately it didn't do much for the new works by Adrian Cruft and, I think, Phillip Cannon, which didn't catch on. 75% of new works seem to disappear which is sad but inevitable I suppose.
                              Last edited by salymap; 07-06-11, 08:05.

Comment

Working...
                              X