Ulster Orchestra's new Principal Conductor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daring Tripod

The only thing I remember about JoAnn Falleta was when my daughter used to play in the Buffalo Symphony and they nearly 'went under' financialy and she was brought in to save the situation despite the Orchestra's objections. She saved the situation by planning a season with a far more popular series of concerts to appeal to a wider audience. The initial issues of Naxos featuring her and her orchestra reflected the lighter side of modern American music and gained some favourable criticisms of the British critics. I wonder how she will fare with the more serious repetoire?

Comment

• bluestateprommer
      • Nov 2010

I have seen JoAnn Falletta conduct once live, a program with the Brahms Haydn/St. Anthony Variations, a concerto (exact one escapes me), and Carl Nielsen 4. She was OK (that's not a put-down, as most conductors are generally OK), not the most profound concert experience (again, most concerts aren't always), but she led solidly. With her recording contract with Naxos, as well as the Ulster Orchestra's own past track record with Naxos, presumably the UO will be making more recordings than in recent years for said label. It's good to see the UO with a newly minted principal conductor rather than drifting for a year without a leader on the podium.

Comment

• RobertLeDiable

I don't know why this discussion has concentrated on the fact that the UO has appointed a woman. More relevant is whether she's the right choice artistically. From reading the news about the appointment I see that she is retaining the musical directorships of two American orchestras, and that doesn't bode too well for the amount of time she'll have for Ulster. Artistically it sounds as if she's nothing special. What the Ulster Orchestra needs is someone really committed and really demanding who will raise artistic standards. Is she it?

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I don't think Ruth Railton, great lady though she was, would have been up there with the big names in the conducting world.

Comment

• Ventilhorn

Originally posted by RobertLeDiable View Post
            I don't know why this discussion has concentrated on the fact that the UO has appointed a woman. More relevant is whether she's the right choice artistically. From reading the news about the appointment I see that she is retaining the musical directorships of two American orchestras, and that doesn't bode too well for the amount of time she'll have for Ulster. Artistically it sounds as if she's nothing special. What the Ulster Orchestra needs is someone really committed and really demanding who will raise artistic standards. Is she it?
            We shall see, after a few hearings.
            To my mind, the last Chief Conductor to achieve anything of note with the Ulster Orchestra was Jan Pascal Tortelier, building on what had been accomplished by the late Sergiu Comissiona.

At least we can be sure that this is not a nepotistic appointment.

VH

Comment

• bluestateprommer
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by RobertLeDiable View Post
              In an ideal world, the focus wouldn't be on the fact that the UO's next principal conductor is female, but the continuing sad reality is that classical music-land is very much male-dominated, in terms of composers and conductors, at the least. It would make waves on this side of the pond as well if a female conductor were to land a relatively known orchestral post.

Regarding Falletta's commitments with her 2 American orchestras, the Virginia Symphony schedule is a pretty modest one, just about 1 concert or so per month for the orchestra. Buffalo's schedule is more extensive, to be sure. However, as a side bar to RLD's point, I wonder that with her Virginia Symphony post, at the least, given that she's been music director there since 1991, if it may not be time for her to step aside there. This would give a new conductor from the younger generations a chance with a regional American orchestra to build her/his own career, as Falletta herself has done. At the risk of sounding Pollyanna-ish, presumably the Virginia Symphony and the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestras wouldn't have kept her on if they didn't feel the chemistry was right.

Likewise, with her UO appointment, I'm inclined to give the UO the benefit of the doubt and presume that they feel that she is the right choice artistically at this time. The UO was obviously willing to go at least one season without a principal conductor, after Kenneth Montgomery's departure, to find the right person and not do a "shotgun marriage".

Comment

• Ventilhorn

Originally posted by DoctorT View Post
                I see that the Ulster Orchestra has just appointed JoAnn Falletta as its new principal conductor. I'm looking forward to hearing her, never knowingly having heard her conduct before. Hopefully we'll get some American music. Has anyone any comments?
                It was 45 years ago, almost to the day, that the Ulster Orchestra gave their inaugural concert in Belfast's City Hall.

I was there, (well I had to be, had I not?). Was anyone else there at that concert in 1966?

More to the point, did anyone listen to last night's concert from the Waterfront Hall, introducing the orchestra's new permanent conductor, JoAnn Falletta, to the good music lovers of Belfast.

What did you think of it so far? (An old Morecambe and Wise line ─ you don't have to complete it)

Ventilhorn

Comment

• PJPJ
                  • Nov 2010

After JoAnn Falletta's first concert with the Ulster Orchestra I get the impression of a rejuvenated orchestra; it's a long time since I heard them playing so well and confidently. Tight rhythms and ensemble, and looser swagger when needed. Joanna MacGregor sounded first-rate in the two Gershwin pieces; what a good piece the Variations is. I'm looking forward to hearing more from this conductor and orchestra.

I'd have preferred an announcer rather than a presenter. I wonder what Holst they recorded last week.
                  Last edited by PJPJ; 15-10-11, 13:34.

Comment

• Ventilhorn

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                    After JoAnn Falletta's first concert with the Ulster Orchestra I get the impression of a rejuvenated orchestra; it's a long time since I heard them playing so well and confidently. Tight rhythms and ensemble, and looser swagger when needed. Joanna MacGregor sounded first-rate in the two Gershwin pieces; what a good piece the Variations is. I'm looking forward to hearing more from this conductor and orchestra.

I'd have preferred an announcer rather than a presenter. I wonder what Holst they recorded last week.
                    I absolutely agree with you.

In 45 years of listening to this orchestra, I have never before heard them so committed and yet so relaxed.

All credit to this new conductor who has breathed fresh air and confidence into a tired and, I'm sure at times, frustrated ensemble.

Shades of the now defunct NILO? (BBC Northern Ireland Light Orchestra) Well, maybe, but I'm sure that Ms Falletta has more strings to her bow than semi-light music.

The audience loved it. Whatever may happen to BBC orchestras in the future, I do hope that the people of Belfast (and the rest of Ulster) do not lose this one.

VH

BTW I was very interested in the presenter's information that the Tango came from South America in the 19th Century.

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

Listened yesterday on the iplayer and really enjoyed the concert the new conductor certainly has the orchestra playing in a very exciting way. The announcer was a little, shall we say, quaint!

Comment

Working...
                      X