X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
    The same forces played a stunning Bruckner 7 in the same venue this last week. Highly recommended.
    Yes I heard it. A particularly fine Adagio I thought. A stunning week of concerts from Snape all in all. A pity that there are so few comments here as this was Radio 3 at its best with some excellent presentation and audio.
    (though I did think Liz Watts sounded a bit distant in the finale of Mahler 4. )

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

excellent presentation.
      Martin Handley!

Comment

• edashtav
        • Jul 2012

The same forces played a stunning Bruckner 7 in the same venue this last week. Highly recommended.
        I agree their Bruckner Seventh was a worthy contribution to AB's anniversary celebrations. The Snape Maltings' acoustics are wonderful.
        Last edited by edashtav; 23-06-24, 16:28.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Marvellous musicianship from Alban Gerhardt and Steven Osborne in this evening's concert from Snape Maltings. Ian Bostridge joined them for the second of 2 'weird' encores - AG's description not mine!

Comment

• silvestrione
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            Marvellous musicianship from Alban Gerhardt and Steven Osborne in this evening's concert from Snape Maltings. Ian Bostridge joined them for the second of 2 'weird' encores - AG's description not mine!
            Yes, thanks, finally got round to listening to it. Marvellous music making. Strange piece that Schubert: mostly cello accompanied by piano. I am allergic to \Bostridge in the way some people are to Pears, but in the Bach encore, Gerhardt's cello was truly eloquent.

Edit: were there two encores? If so, I somehow missed the first.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post

Yes, thanks, finally got round to listening to it. Marvellous music making. Strange piece that Schubert: mostly cello accompanied by piano. I am allergic to \Bostridge in the way some people are to Pears, but in the Bach encore, Gerhardt's cello was truly eloquent.

Edit: were there two encores? If so, I somehow missed the first.
              The first 'weird' encore, which came after 49 minutes, was a reprise of the 2nd movement of the Britten sonata.

Comment

• silvestrione
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

The first 'weird' encore, which came after 49 minutes, was a reprise of the 2nd movement of the Britten sonata.
                Ah, I skipped the Britten, never got on with that piece. Thanks

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Pavel Haas Quartet & Boris Giltburg - Brahms Piano Quartets (live from Wigmore Hall)

I’ve been meaning to heap praise on this concert since it was broadcast on 10 June - and now I get round to it, only 4 days remain to listen:

Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

As a Brahms fan, I can’t believe I’d never heard the No 2 in A (Op 26) before last month - the Op 25 in G minor has been so familiar for decades (both in the original version, and in the Schönberg orchestration)…

… but what a gorgeous piece the No 2 is! And what a lovely performance this was. I had the feeling it took some of the first movement for the performers to settle down, but the slow movement was absolutely wonderful. I’ve listened to the concert many times in the past month.

A reminder of what R3 can do - no kindergarten-level presentation, no pointless ‘curation’ (e.g. one movement a day ) …. Just a straight concert relay of great performers opening the door to a neglected masterpiece

"...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• edashtav
                    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                    Pavel Haas Quartet & Boris Giltburg - Brahms Piano Quartets (live from Wigmore Hall)

I’ve been meaning to heap praise on this concert since it was broadcast on 10 June - and now I get round to it, only 4 days remain to listen:

Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

As a Brahms fan, I can’t believe I’d never heard the No 2 in A (Op 26) before last month - the Op 25 in G minor has been so familiar for decades (both in the original version, and in the Schönberg orchestration)…

… but what a gorgeous piece the No 2 is! And what a lovely performance this was. I had the feeling it took some of the first movement for the performers to settle down, but the slow movement was absolutely wonderful. I’ve listened to the concert many times in the past month.

A reminder of what R3 can do - no kindergarten-level presentation, no pointless ‘curation’ (e.g. one movement a day ) …. Just a straight concert relay of great performers opening the door to a neglected masterpiece

Comment

• silvestrione
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Yes, we may not praise them enough when it's due: excellent relays from Aldeburgh presented so well by Martin Handley, and Opera on 3 had Idomeneo from Munich excellently presented by Andrew Mc Gregor with Flora Wilson.

Comment

• jonfan
                        • Dec 2010

Another wonderful Bruckner symphony from BBC forces, this time No 5 from the Phil conducted by John Storgards broadcast on 9 July. Stunning expressive work from string, wind and brass choirs. The climax is the final movement as it should be in this piece, the fugue taken at a quick rhythmic pace with no wallowing as the final glorious conclusion is reached. A glorious performance.

Comment

• smittims
                          • Aug 2022

I'm sorry I didn't hear Juanjo Mena do the fifth during his time at the BBC Philharmonic. He did do splendid performances of the other three major-key symphonies, 4, 6 and 7. They are excellent in this repertoire.

I wonder what tonight's R3 in concert will be like. It looks like a stop-gap event between the end of FNIMN and the start of the Proms. At first glance it looks like another of these curious attempts to 'find a wider audinece', but maybe it will please some. .

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                            I wonder what tonight's R3 in concert will be like. It looks like a stop-gap event between the end of FNIMN and the start of the Proms. At first glance it looks like another of these curious attempts to 'find a wider audinece', but maybe it will please some. .
                            In which case they'd have done better to leave it as FNIMN, which is what it is to all effect. It isn't a R3 evening concert and presenting it as such might deter the FNIMN audience they are trying to build? Wonder if Petroc will have to do a lot of Proms plugging - of the "more accessible" concerts perhaps, along the lines of "if you liked that..." perhaps.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                              • Apr 2014

Another wonderful Bruckner symphony from BBC forces, this time No 5 from the Phil conducted by John Storgards broadcast on 9 July. Stunning expressive work from string, wind and brass choirs. The climax is the final movement as it should be in this piece, the fugue taken at a quick rhythmic pace with no wallowing as the final glorious conclusion is reached. A glorious performance.
                              Yes completely agree. It was another in a succession of very good Bruckner and I think Mahler by the BBC Phil and BBC SSO over the last month. It augurs well for an outstanding Proms season (if they are doing any !)

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

Yes completely agree. It was another in a succession of very good Bruckner and I think Mahler by the BBC Phil and BBC SSO over the last month. It augurs well for an outstanding Proms season (if they are doing any !)
                                Prom 9 BBC SSO Kindertotenlieder

Comment

Working...
                                X