• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

R3 in Concert, 17 Feb, Strauss; 4 Last Songs

Fascinated to read in last weekend's press that Jonas Kaufmann's nine-day residency at London's Barbican will include a performance of Richard Strauss's, Four Last Songs, BBCSO/Jochen Rieder, and am delighted to add that this performance will also be broadcast on R3 at 1930 - the 'songs' will conclude the concert; part 2, starting with Elgar's, In the South, scheduled for 20.45 hrs, tonight, (17 Feb). Apparently, Kaufmann's absence from the concert platform for several months is due to a burst capillary on his vocal chords. I'm a fervent admirer of his work; his diction and intuitive response in lieder and the operatic field always refreshing. Recorder at the ready.
  • Simon B
    • Dec 2010

Stanley, disappointment is on the menu as Kaufmann was indisposed and the concert was cancelled. I've not checked, but presumably a different concert will be aired instead this evening.

The Four Last Snogs may be a new departure, but Kaufmann has previously sung Strauss songs written for the female voice - I recall him singing several with the CBSO/Nelsons, some of which had been "arranged" specially, at least to the extent of being transposed into a different key for the purpose...

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon B View Post
      Stanley, disappointment is on the menu as Kaufmann was indisposed and the concert was cancelled. I've not checked, but presumably a different concert will be aired instead this evening.

The Four Last Snogs may be a new departure, but Kaufmann has previously sung Strauss songs written for the female voice - I recall him singing several with the CBSO/Nelsons, some of which had been "arranged" specially, at least to the extent of being transposed into a different key for the purpose...
      Thanks, Simon, albeit such disappointing news. I'll switch on at the starting time and see what options are on offer. Damn, damn, damn, damn!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

I too shall have recorder on standby. I wonder if Kaufmann's replacement will be another male.

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

No Kaufmann in sight: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08dnr53
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
            • Nov 2010

There was some talk of the concert being "rescheduled", but that will take forward planning. I wouldn't expect to see it happen anytime soon.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
              Nicola LeFanu has a blog write-up via the Grauniad on her new composition:

Nice coincidence that The Guardian also has a featured interview with John Adams, nice salutes to 2 composers with 70th birthdays this year.

But back to the concert at hand: maybe the Franz Schreker is the closest substitute for R. Strauss for the evening.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
                There was some talk of the concert being "rescheduled", but that will take forward planning. I wouldn't expect to see it happen anytime soon.
                We had tickets and got an email the day before:

"Jonas deeply regrets that because he has bronchitis this concert is cancelled. In due course we hope to reschedule this concert to a future date.
                Ticketholders will receive a full refund to the original payment method by returning their tickets."

We went to the cinema instead.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
                  Nicola LeFanu has a blog write-up via the Grauniad on her new composition:

Nice coincidence that The Guardian also has a featured interview with John Adams, nice salutes to 2 composers with 70th birthdays this year.

But back to the concert at hand: maybe the Franz Schreker is the closest substitute for R. Strauss for the evening.
                  Aha! - complete change then, the BBC SO excepted - thanks. A very interesting programme: how long since we've heard anything by Ms LeFanu on R3 - 40 + years??

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    Aha! - complete change then, the BBC SO excepted - thanks. A very interesting programme: how long since we've heard anything by Ms LeFanu on R3 - 40 + years??
                    Oh no - her opera Light Passing was broadcast on Hear & Now shortly after its 2004 premiere.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      Oh no - her opera Light Passing was broadcast on Hear & Now shortly after its 2004 premiere.
                      Huh - it must've passed me by then!

(Come to thnk of it, I was busy with relocating here during that year).

Comment

• bluestateprommer
                        • Nov 2010

NL also spoke on "The Essay" last November:

Comment

Working...
                        X