X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Osborn
    • Jun 2024

Guardian 'The Artists' Artist' - Pianists

The Guardian asked the following to name their favourite pianist of all time and explain their choice. Leaving the v interesting explanations aside, the selections were:
    Stephen Hough > Alfred Cortot
    Leif Ove Andsnes > Dinu Lipatti
    Angela Hewitt > Alfred Cortot
    Vladimir Ashkenazy > Rachmaninov
    Freddy Kempf > Vladimir Horowitz
    Pierre-Laurent Aimard > Aloys Kontarsky
    Jean-Yves Thibaudet > Arthur Rubinstein

Ashkenazy also mentioned Gilels, Serkin and Michelangeli (and I agree) - "...their greatness has nothing to do with brilliance but with their understanding..."

Is that a sensible list? Any additions anybody?
  • cavatina

I'm not sure who his "all-time favorite" was, but Vladimir Horowitz admired Josef Lhevinne (1874-1944). Listening to this, it's easy to see why:

After Horowitz'American debut in Carnegie Hall performing the Tchaikovsky First Piano Concerto in 1928, Rachmaninoff told him, "You may be the loudest and th...

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Yes agreed to the first posting. I can see why to. My favourite pianist would beHorovitz, with Ashkenazy, John Ogdon, Jack Gibbons, Richard Farrell and Emil Gilels to.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

... without question, Joyce Hatto. Or possibly Ida Haendel...

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... without question, Joyce Hatto. . .
          Certainly the critics' favourite!
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• rauschwerk
            • Nov 2010

Solomon. A fabulous technique, always placed at the service of the music (listen to the first movement of the 'Hammerklavier' in his hands). Capable also of the most refined poetic playing (Chopin Berceuse, or Nocturne Op. 27/2). Horowitz thought him boring, but surely cannot have heard his electrifying recording of the Liszt Hungarian Fantasia.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... without question, Joyce Hatto. Or possibly Ida Haendel...

Comment

• salymap
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Solomon, Myra Hess, Clifford Curzon [on a good day], from the past. Also Artur Rubinstein for some wonderful concerts and recitals I have heard him play in. Alfred Brendel, Barenboim, Uchida probably today.

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Rubinstein also and Glenn Gould!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                    Solomon. A fabulous technique, always placed at the service of the music (listen to the first movement of the 'Hammerklavier' in his hands). Capable also of the most refined poetic playing (Chopin Berceuse, or Nocturne Op. 27/2). Horowitz thought him boring, but surely cannot have heard his electrifying recording of the Liszt Hungarian Fantasia.
                    I agree completely, rauschwerk. His early retirement from the concert platform and the recording studio (he was 56?) was a considerable loss. My father often spoke fondly of seeing Solomon performing for the troops in the desert during WWII, including Beethoven's Moonlight sonata, and I reflect that had he enjoyed better health I might easily have seen him in his 70s when he could well have been still in top form. Instead, I treasure his recordings

Comment

• Pianorak
                      • Nov 2010

Joanna MacGregor - and not only for her imaginative and adventurous programming. She runs the whole gamut from Alkan via Bach and Messiaen to Zappa - and her latest recording of Satie is simply superb.

That said my favourite usually tends to be my latest discovery which is right now: Rafael Orozco playing Iberia by Albeniz. Such beauty of tone and dynamic range from ppppp to fffff is just astonishing.
                      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Osborn

I found the Guardian link to the comments of the pianists mentioned in #1:

In the first of a new series of weekly columns, leading pianists choose their favourite performer of all time

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

i am struck by how often Cortot gets this kind of recommendation and confess to ignorance of his work any thoughts on best to look for?

i must also confess to being pretty underwhelmed by both Horowitz and Rubinstein ... but find Lipatti absolutely compelling ... and i would assert that Perahia is well up in any all time list
                          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                            • Nov 2010

amateur51

I absolutely agree with all the praise for Solomon, to have suffered a stroke at the height of his powers was tragic. I never saw him play, but he could often be seen attending concerts on the South Bank, supporting other younger pianists. I particularly treasure his performances of the Grieg and Schumann concertos, the Grieg was the first stereo recording I ever heard, on a huge tape machine at the HMV shop.

On R3 this morning we could hear Rachmaninov playing Carnaval in 1929, amazing playing, but I thought he rushed his fences a bit, which often happens in this piece.

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

... among the oldies, for me - Cortot, Schnabel, Rubinstein, Marcelle Meyer, Yves Nat, Ciani, Michelangeli, Richter.

From the more recent, the ones I find extra-special wd include Zacharias, Zimerman, Hamelin, Staier, Tharaud, Levin.

Comment

Working...
                              X