• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tetrachord
    • Apr 2016

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    It's Downton Abbey with better tunes.
    You need to go to the Musikverein website and see how those tickets are obtained. They are expensive but a lot of money is raised for charity when the tickets go to auction. It's mostly celebrities (I spotted Julie Andrews, who introduced the American telecast) and I'm sure the Austrian Chancellor was there with his entourage etc. And there are people there from a large number of different nationalities. It's an occasion.

Downtown Abbey is a tired old series about boring English aristocrats that English television does so well, over and over and over...

Comment

• Tetrachord
      • Apr 2016

Originally posted by gradus View Post
      Carlos Kleiber in the audience?
      No, in 1975 Carlos Kleiber had a thick head of brown hair and no grey. Here's something taken just 5 years earlier: ABSOLUTELY BLOODY GORGEOUS!!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

"When he shall die,
      Take him and cut him out in little stars,
      And he will make the face of heaven so fine
      That all the world will be in love with night...."

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

I attended a Vienna Philharmonic concert in the Musikverein in May 2008 (Mahler 3 with Semyon Bychkov) and no-one in their right mind could ever call me rich! I went along in my best suit, which, like me, has seen better days, and remained impervious to death stares if there were any.

It was easy to book online, collect the ticket etc. Had a wonderful time and I fully recommend a visit.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Tetrachord
          • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          I attended a Vienna Philharmonic concert in the Musikverein in May 2008 (Mahler 3 with Semyon Bychkov) and no-one in their right mind could ever call me rich! I went along in my best suit, which, like me, has seen better days, and remained impervious to death stares if there were any.

It was easy to book online, collect the ticket etc. Had a wonderful time and I fully recommend a visit.
          A lot of the people who go there are in a similar situation to you and me; I've seen them walking out of very standard apartment blocks to get onto the U4 at my station to go to the Musikverein when I was living there. I can assure you that "rich" doesn't define quite a lot of the Viennese who attend the Musikverein regularly. I always used to know who was going there when I was on the train because everybody was well dressed; sure enough we'd alight together at Karlsplatz and walk briskly in the same direction!!

We're going back for 3 months next year (health permitting) and for this we go without a new car and ours is 10 years old now. Well worth the sacrifice; oh yes.

Comment

• Prommer
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tetrachord View Post
            No, in 1975 Carlos Kleiber had a thick head of brown hair and no grey. Here's something taken just 5 years earlier: ABSOLUTELY BLOODY GORGEOUS!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty_sFEn46P8
            Have now spotted the chap gradus may have meant, and no, it is definitely not Kleiber.

Comment

• CallMePaul
              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
              I thought Dudamel had done his homework well and conducting from memory when so many of these pieces sound the same (to my untutored ear I hasten to add!). I think Karajan set off on the wrong piece in his NYDC outing. Does any one know if Sir Simon has been asked to do the honours?
              I believe that he conducts the Berlin Phil in a NYD concert so will not be available until he moves to the LSO

Comment

• Tetrachord
                • Apr 2016

How's this for a conducting style??!!!!!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

... or even this:

Little girl conducting a choir - Mini Maestro, Kyrgyzstan Very talented little girl from Kyrgyzstan conducting a church choir during Sunday morning service. ...
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

... and of course :

This is 3 year old Jonathan conducting to the 4th movement of Beethoven's 5th Symphony.

[ How much did Bernstein get PAID! ]

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

I did not understand anyone to suggest that it was a bling audience always at the Musikverein . The point is that the NYD concert has now become a very exclusive event when the attire of the audience in the 1975 video suggested that was not the case then .

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                        I did not understand anyone to suggest that it was a bling audience always at the Musikverein.
                        I was just about to point that out. I've been there myself, in my usual attire (stylish but casual ) - I would have enjoyed the opportunity to return a death stare or two but sadly none were forthcoming.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

I did not understand anyone to suggest that it was a bling audience always at the Musikverein . The point is that the NYD concert has now become a very exclusive event when the attire of the audience in the 1975 video suggested that was not the case then .
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Prommer
                            • Dec 2010

Did I hear correctly that the leader was Rainer Honeck? if so, any relation to Manfred Honeck, once of that parish?

Comment

• Prommer
                              • Dec 2010

Well, yes, and no... You are behind the times if you think the very wealthy always dress 'well'.

In fact, often grungily, though seldom actually cheaply... though that may not always be obvious to the naked eye.

Except for those (now rather rare) hermitic billionaires whose meanness extends to themselves...!

You are right that most of the senior-ish and horrendously white crowd here appear to 'dress up' a bit, and relatively formally. Erm, middle class Viennese burghers, in other words. (Without much obvious relish...)

Comment

• Alison
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Prommer View Post
                                Did I hear correctly that the leader was Rainer Honeck? if so, any relation to Manfred Honeck, once of that parish?
                                I was wondering the same. I missed a few of the familiar faces in the violins this year. Must confess I find the leader a very attractive gentleman!

Comment

Working...
                                X