X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
    I shouldn't imagine it would be Sir Simon's thing at all. He'd surely struggle to make this music sound natural which was Gustavo's special distinction.
    People might have said that about the Nutcracker recording . More of a trouble would be his addition of La Valse to the programme .

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      He did, however, conduct a couple of Strauss polkas as encores after a VPO Prom so never say never!
      I stand corrected Petty. It's still not a prospect I would relish!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
        That would be somewhat surprising as he hardly ever conducts Boulez's music.
        He did, however conduct Rituel on several occasions, so hardly ever say hardly ever
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

I stand corrected Petty. It's still not a prospect I would relish!
          Just slightly correcting myself, there was only one encore at Rattle's VPO Prom (Sept 6 1999): Eljen a Magyar op 332 http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/evzv2m

Gergiev also conducted a couple of Strauss encores after a VPO concert in the Barbican and I remember one of them was Josef Strauss' Die Libelle.

Don't forget also that Bernard Haitink conducted Voices of Spring after a VPO Prom.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            One thing is notable how much more ordinary and less bling the audience look in 1975
            That's because the "audience" in the 1970's probably were an "audience" and not paying to be extras in a televised movie

It's fine though and i'm sure those who love it had a wonderful time.

Strauss Waltzes without the spaceships don't do much for me.

(though the work on the Leitmotifs in the new Star Wars movie are very impressive )

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

Very good memory, Pet!

I'm just listening again with ever increasing pleasure.

Comment

• Alison
                • Nov 2010

What's the history of that Ziehrer waltz at the NY concerts, Pet?

A Boskovsky speciality? I don't recall it in my time - 2004 onwards.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

What's the history of that Ziehrer waltz at the NY concerts, Pet?

A Boskovsky speciality? I don't recall it in my time - 2004 onwards.
                  Boskovsky included it in his 1979 programme (it's on the Decca recording) but it hasn't been included since as far as I am aware. Without trawling through the VPO concert archive it would be good to have a complete record of all of the NYDC concerts on the internet. My memory isn't going to last for ever!

Comment

• gradus
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Prommer View Post
                    Really, where? Or at what point in this video?? Would love to see that! If so, doing his prep about 14 years in advance...
                    Soon after the beginning as they pan around the audience he's sitting front-ish stalls on the right facing the platform - at least I think it's him.

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                      Soon after the beginning as they pan around the audience he's sitting front-ish stalls on the right facing the platform - at least I think it's him.
                      I've spotted who you mean but no, I'd be pretty sure it's not him.

Comment

• Tetrachord
                        • Apr 2016

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                        I can imagine the 'death stares' but surely that would just make the whole thing more fun - épater les bourgeois and all that.
                        I always got a giggle out of the death stares from the fashionistas!!! Even the men did it!!

Comment

• Tetrachord
                          • Apr 2016

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          - and with the moral highground that Beethoven, Schubert, Bruckner, and Brahms' wearing apparel would attract equal opprobium from these serious Music lovers.
                          Schubert didn't have works performed at the Musikverein and neither did Beethoven. Brahms did and according to Swafford (I'm reading the bio right now) he wore the same livery - coat and matching pants and hat.

And I don't think it has anything to do with "morality" but a sense of occasion and making a statement about the value of the music and the experience. And concert-goers today are predominantly of the middle class, from every country, and generally pretty discerning about their music. I cannot speak about the NYD concert at all as this is a different audience in the main.
                          Last edited by Tetrachord; 03-01-17, 01:04.

Comment

• Tetrachord
                            • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                            Depressing though - those sorts of dress codes whether formal or informal put people off and are inherently discriminatory .
                            Absolutely disagree. Anybody can go to those venues I mentioned and, as I said, I wore jeans myself and good accessories - thereby keeping eyes away from me!! And putting people off? Hardly. Even the folk who stand in the 10 Euro section at the back are fairly well decked out.

Comment

• Tetrachord
                              • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
                              Two hours of sheer bliss, instantly recorded to HD, followed by an overnight transfer to DVD, which also included the 1951 MGM version of Show Boat, recorded on BBC 4, New Year's eve. Checked this morning and both programmes look splendid in pristine prints. A wee dram to enhance the pleasure of a revisit this afternoon, dedicated to the memory of our dear salymap, Pamela, bless her, who died earlier last year - I'm sure she would have approved my choice!
                              1951 "Showboat"! Bliss. Marge and Gower Champion - will I ever forget!!!!?

Comment

• Tetrachord
                                • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                                Here we go again... of course the occasion "just wouldn't be the same" without all the glittery ostentation, but isn't it weird that there are in the 21st century still those who seem to enjoy seeing rich people having rich-people-type fun?
                                Sadly I'm one of these. How I loved to see all those Rolex watches at "Theater an der Wien" and the people who know the protocols and etiquette and men who were openly prepared to cry and show their emotions during sad sections of opera!! I sniffled and became restive and the woman next to me instantly handed me a small packet of those little tissues, with a smile.

Comment

Working...
                                X