• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    Depressing though - those sorts of dress codes whether formal or informal put people off and are inherently discriminatory .

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      Depressing though - those sorts of dress codes whether formal or informal put people off and are inherently discriminatory .
      Indeed - and I do wonder what is the effect of the prominent televising of this event (and the LNotP) has on those viewers whose sole encounter with the world of "Classical Music".
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Two hours of sheer bliss, instantly recorded to HD, followed by an overnight transfer to DVD, which also included the 1951 MGM version of Show Boat, recorded on BBC 4, New Year's eve. Checked this morning and both programmes look splendid in pristine prints. A wee dram to enhance the pleasure of a revisit this afternoon, dedicated to the memory of our dear salymap, Pamela, bless her, who died earlier last year - I'm sure she would have approved my choice!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          Indeed - and I do wonder what is the effect of the prominent televising of this event (and the LNotP) has on those viewers whose sole encounter with the world of "Classical Music".
          Yeah, and all those black blokes at reggae gigs with dread-locks and spliffs - so off-putting.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
            Yeah, and all those black blokes at reggae gigs with dread-locks and spliffs - so off-putting.
            Point taken - not many reggae gigs televised, come to think of it ...

Comment

• Richard Barrett
              • Jan 2016

Here we go again... of course the occasion "just wouldn't be the same" without all the glittery ostentation, but isn't it weird that there are in the 21st century still those who seem to enjoy seeing rich people having rich-people-type fun?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                Here we go again... of course the occasion "just wouldn't be the same" without all the glittery ostentation, but isn't it weird that there are in the 21st century still those who seem to enjoy seeing rich people having rich-people-type fun?
                I’m not sure that I am enjoying seeing rich people have fun. I think that I’m enjoying something else. Is there a way that we can ruin it for them and not spoil it for me?

Sid, Ruislip.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

It's Downton Abbey with better tunes.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                    Far too much duplication for me to even consider it. Interesting to see from the contents list, most helpfully provided by an Amazon reviewer, that there are several items taken from Boskovsky concerts. Clearly, the Austrian Radio have the concert recordings in their archives so they should do a deal with Universal or Sony and release them! Boskovsky, for me, stands head and shoulders above anyone else in this music and releases, say, of the 1970s concerts would be most welcome.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

I was rather amazed that Les Patineurs had never been played before at the NYD concert.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                        I think if you "read" it as a piece of performance where there is no fourth wall and the "audience" are actually those watching on TV it kind of makes "sense" ?
                        A bit like those gardens where you are only permitted to view them from outside and not inhabit the landscape.

It is a shame that for many folks this (and LNOTP) are what they assume orchestral music is "about".

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                          I think if you "read" it as a piece of performance where there is no fourth wall and the "audience" are actually those watching on TV it kind of makes "sense" ?
                          A bit like those gardens where you are only permitted to view them from outside and not inhabit the landscape.

It is a shame that for many folks this (and LNOTP) are what they assume orchestral music is "about".
                          How much fun are the wealthy audience actually having I wonder ? Every year there is a crop of regulars who are patrons of charity as well as the VPO, but who are all those inscrutable Japanese? I gather that the orchestra do the same programme for students and young people, perhaps they should broadcast that for a change

Comment

• jonfan
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                            I enjoyed this concert very much. I thought Dudamel looked slightly nervous at the start but by the second half had relaxed into it and was clearly enjoying himself. Nice programme of music too: good to hear the Waldteufel.

Happy New Year all!
                            Yes I thought he was on edge in the first half but his smile was less forced in the second. The highlights for me were Pique Dame and the Skaters Waltz.
                            The stage looks awful to perform on with everyone squashed together with the singers up and away and out of it all together. The double basses are placed in alcoves at the back, not for any musical reason, but that's the only place they can go.

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
                              Yes I thought he was on edge in the first half but his smile was less forced in the second. The highlights for me were Pique Dame and the Skaters Waltz.
                              The stage looks awful to perform on with everyone squashed together with the singers up and away and out of it all together. The double basses are placed in alcoves at the back, not for any musical reason, but that's the only place they can go.
                              You want go see a crowded platform at the NYDC? Watch this from 1975!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• gradus
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                                You want go see a crowded platform at the NYDC? Watch this from 1975!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7XqLD8iIDA
                                Carlos Kleiber in the audience?

Comment

Working...
                                X