Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton

Thanks Pet!

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      Thanks Pet!
      No problem, though I did mention it in message 8 above!
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

All I can say is that the orchestra is playing at its very best this morning.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
          I'm looking forward to the ballet bits, and to the scenes from the Viennese countryside

(No, really )
          Asks silly quesion ....

Presumably the ballet bits are pre-recorded - looks like summer, and how are the dancers syncing to the music in the hall?

Comment

• Prommer
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            Like Richard, I rather enjoy the extras. Some good looking dancers are no hindrance to pleasure!
            Nor are the pleasing number of (rather attractive and elegant) women dotted around the orchestra.

Wonderful playing, agreed. The Dude is bringing some youthful vigour to this, for which many thanks, fan as I was of Pretre, who had bottled a more vintage fizz...

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Just waiting for the close up of Julie Andrews...

Comment

• Prommer
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                Just waiting for the close up of Julie Andrews...
                Ach, tradition...

Comment

• Prommer
                  • Dec 2010

Anyone yet aware of who will be conducting next year?

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Interesting rules for the VPO:
                    * Only a musician who plays in the Vienna State Opera Orchestra (originally Court Opera Orchestra) can become a member of the Vienna Philharmonic
                    * The orchestra is artistically, organizationally and financially autonomous, and all decisions are reached on a democratic basis during the general meeting of all members.
                    *The day-to-day management is the responsibility of a democratically elected body, the administrative committee.
                    The first rule, linking performance in opera is one which would be difficult for many orchestras, not being near anywhere where opera is an option, but could it be helpful for a few? Possibly a factor in the way the VPO plays.

Other orchestras have rules, but probably few require a link to opera.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                      I will also take the opportunity of pointing out, as happens annually in this parish, that the Danube is not blue.
                      Well - strictly speaking, water is a pale shade of blue, and appears so from outer space.

So the Danube, which looks almost black, sourced in the Black Forest and ending in the Black Sea, really is blue.

Comment

• Prommer
                        • Dec 2010

I fancy Dudamel has been watching tapes of Kleiber conducting-dancing his way through this concert....

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

For a few seconds I thought we were going to get the horses synced to the music - but no! Running around in the fileds is not the same....

Comment

• pastoralguy
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                            Interesting rules for the VPO:

The first rule, linking performance in opera is one which would be difficult for many orchestras, not being near anywhere where opera is an option, but could it be helpful for a few? Possibly a factor in the way the VPO plays.

Other orchestras have rules, but probably few require a link to opera.
                            That was always Sir Alexander Gibson's dream for orchestral music in Scotland. His plan was to have an orchestra that would combine Scottish Opera duties with being a symphony orchestra. Alas, the SNO players had other ideas.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                              • Nov 2010

I can never watch this concert without wondering what the net worth of the audience would be.

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                                That was always Sir Alexander Gibson's dream for orchestral music in Scotland. His plan was to have an orchestra that would combine Scottish Opera duties with being a symphony orchestra. Alas, the SNO players had other ideas.
                                One could also ask "why specifically opera?" - couldn't there be a link to ballet too? I do know conductors who refuse to go anywhere near ballet, on the grounds that it's too rigid, and don't want to be subservient to dance. Which makes me wonder if many of the really significant conductors of the past ever conducted ballet - Walter, Klemperer, Toscanini, Giulini etc.

I don't think all ballet has to be like that, and some performances could probably benefit from conductors with a bit of imagination, but what do I know?
                                Obviously there might have to be compromises, but is that impossibly bad?

Comment

Working...
                                X