Afternoon on 3, 21/11/16 (BBC SO/Brabbins)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maestro267
    • Nov 2010

Afternoon on 3, 21/11/16 (BBC SO/Brabbins)

Absolutely magnificent concert on R3 this afternoon, featuring two of Britain's finest 20th-century symphonists, Edmund Rubbra (No. 11) and Havergal Brian (No. 6), and a Danish masterpiece for trombone and orchestra by Launy Grondahl. The BBC Symphony Orchestra was conducted by Martyn Brabbins, who for me carries on the baton of champion to concert-hall-neglected British composers after the passing of Hickox and Handley.

I've got 19 of Brian's 32 symphonies in my collection, but No. 6 (subtitled 'Sinfonia tragica') is not one of them, so this was a first-time listen to me, and I was extremely impressed (as I have been with all of Brian's music). Straight off the bat we had two of Brian's hallmarks: his fantastic writing for both low brass and tuned percussion. Interesting to hear two offstage trumpets pass fanfares back and forth early in the work. Anyway, this symphony has gone right up in my recording wishlist now. (There's two recordings, on Lyrita (cw Sym. 16 & Arnold Cooke's 3rd Sym.) and Naxos (cw Syms. 28, 29 & 31).
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by maestro267 View Post
    Absolutely magnificent concert on R3 this afternoon, featuring two of Britain's finest 20th-century symphonists, Edmund Rubbra (No. 11) and Havergal Brian (No. 6), and a Danish masterpiece for trombone and orchestra by Launy Grondahl. The BBC Symphony Orchestra was conducted by Martyn Brabbins, who for me carries on the baton of champion to concert-hall-neglected British composers after the passing of Hickox and Handley.

I've got 19 of Brian's 32 symphonies in my collection, but No. 6 (subtitled 'Sinfonia tragica') is not one of them, so this was a first-time listen to me, and I was extremely impressed (as I have been with all of Brian's music). Straight off the bat we had two of Brian's hallmarks: his fantastic writing for both low brass and tuned percussion. Interesting to hear two offstage trumpets pass fanfares back and forth early in the work. Anyway, this symphony has gone right up in my recording wishlist now. (There's two recordings, on Lyrita (cw Sym. 16 & Arnold Cooke's 3rd Sym.) and Naxos (cw Syms. 28, 29 & 31).
    Hi maestro

Yes I listened to this too.
    Excellent Rubbra 11 I must say.
    I can wholeheartedly recommend the Lyrita Brian and Cooke disc.
    Coincidentally I have just been listening to Arnold Cooke 5 & 6,another wonderful Lyrita offering.
    Didn't much like the Schmitt Anthony and Cleopatra that preceded the concert though

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Radio 3 of late has been doing much to promote British composers. I'm not complaining! I will have to catxch up on this, most definetly!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
        Hi maestro

Yes I listened to this too.
        Excellent Rubbra 11 I must say.
        I can wholeheartedly recommend the Lyrita Brian and Cooke disc.
        Coincidentally I have just been listening to Arnold Cooke 5 & 6,another wonderful Lyrita offering.
        Didn't much like the Schmitt Anthony and Cleopatra that preceded the concert though

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Catching up on the Roobra (as KD calls him) now.
          The website timings are not right, though; this starts about 10 minutes before the listing claims.

Not that familiar with iPlayer.
          Are the little black markers supposed to be where pieces start?
          (Edit: yes they are!)
          If so, they are wrong too.
          I suspect they relate to the web listing timings.

Dare we hope for a BBC MM cover disc?
          Probably not.
          Last edited by Pulcinella; 24-11-16, 13:36. Reason: Investigated the black markers!

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            Catching up on the Roobra (as KD calls him)...
            Load up, load up, load up the Rubbra bullets.

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

It sounds as though she's thinking of the Roux brothers...

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Load up, load up, load up the Rubbra bullets.
                Along with Payneful, Mawkish, Searly and Matthewsiastic (and, of course, the original Coplandish with which this started), Rubbish is perhaps one of the more notable if at the same time least appropriate of composer comparatives.

KD, however, probably thinks that he invented the Roobic cube...

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                  Along with Payneful, Mawkish, Searly and Matthewsiastic (and, of course, the original Coplandish with which this started), Rubbish is perhaps one of the more notable if at the same time least appropriate of composer comparatives.

KD, however, probably thinks that he invented the Roobic cube...
                  Or is she just following the rubric?

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Off topic, but I have just dug out my copy of the Hickox recording of the Rubbra, where it is coupled with the fourth and tenth symphonies.
                    The booklet notes contain a reproduction of the programme of the Promenade Concert at which the fourth was premiered, on Friday 14 August 1942, at 6pm.

Part 1, conducted by Sir Henry Wood
                    Beethoven: Overture Prometheus; PC4 (soloist Irene Scharrer); S6
                    Part 2, conducted by Sir Adrian Boult (though the Rubbra was conducted by the composer)
                    Rubbra: S4
                    Holst: Mercury, Saturn, and Jupiter (The Planets)

Quite an evening.
                    The eleventh also had its first performance at a Promenade Concert, on 20 August 1980.

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Or is she just following the rubric?
                      Possibly so; I can't be sure. Better ask her if you want to be!...

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Off topic, but I have just dug out my copy of the Hickox recording of the Rubbra, where it is coupled with the fourth and tenth symphonies.
                        The booklet notes contain a reproduction of the programme of the Promenade Concert at which the fourth was premiered, on Friday 14 August 1942, at 6pm.
                        Indeed - and on Sorabji's 50th birthday; I don't know if he attended personally but he certainly heard it. Surprising, perhaps, that the two thought as well as they did of one another's work.
                        Last edited by ahinton; 26-11-16, 10:49.

Comment

• maestro267
                          • Nov 2010

The website timings are not right, though; this starts about 10 minutes before the listing claims.
                          Yes, the Schmitt work that preceded the Brabbins concert overran by about 10 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                          X