• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Nov 15th 2016 R3 Indian Classical Music

Live from Leicester, Lopa Kothari presents a concert celebrating Indian classical music.

Was it in 1988 or so that at the Proms, the BBC held a virtually all-might Indian Classical Music concert: started about 11 or midnight abdn went on for ever, until 6-ish in the morning?

So glad to hear the programme tonight. Am always surprised that R3 does not take this genre more seriously more often.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

There were two such events, Cloughie - on the night/morning of 28 - 29 August, 1981; and 3 - 4 September, 1983: both ran from 11:30pm to 7:00am. Like you, I am bewildered why this sort of event doesn't happen regularly.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Many thx for updating. I have cassette recordings of one of them and I think it's the 1983 gig.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Can't say I know this music more than very slightly, but the first piece in tonight's concert was an absolute treat, full of musical energy ( and lots else) I thought.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Yes,just finished,what a wonderful evening of listening.
          Not listened to this kind of stuff in years although I do have a couple of Ravi Shankar albums,including the one with Menuhin

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Agreed. We really do need more.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

This is one genre hat's well worth getting to know. Very much enjoyed this.
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                There were two such events, Cloughie - on the night/morning of 28 - 29 August, 1981; and 3 - 4 September, 1983: both ran from 11:30pm to 7:00am. Like you, I am bewildered why this sort of event doesn't happen regularly.
                Both those events were planned by Robert Ponsonby who was the last 'Controller of Music' at Radio 3, with responsibility for the Proms. His successor, John Drummond, was also Controller of Radio 3, and the post of Controller of Music was abolished. He was the one who introduced the 'new' genre that was called 'world music'. I feel that, if anything, that has held back the broadcasting of all the 'global classical' traditions. In theory world music includes those traditions, but in practice they're given minimal coverage (if any) - nowhere near enough to do justice to them. A Live on 3 concert is just one appropriate slot where there could be broadcasts.

But: they would need to be properly advertised in advance (as on this occasion) - not a bit of a raga in the Late Junction mix.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Both those events were planned by Robert Ponsonby who was the last 'Controller of Music' at Radio 3, with responsibility for the Proms. His successor, John Drummond, was also Controller of Radio 3, and the post of Controller of Music was abolished. He was the one who introduced the 'new' genre that was called 'world music'. I feel that, if anything, that has held back the broadcasting of all the 'global classical' traditions. In theory world music includes those traditions, but in practice they're given minimal coverage (if any) - nowhere near enough to do justice to them. A Live on 3 concert is just one appropriate slot where there could be broadcasts.

But: they would need to be properly advertised in advance (as on this occasion) - not a bit of a raga in the Late Junction mix.
                  I would add that even last night's offering was something of a sampler, rather than a typical classical Indian music event where only one or two ragas would fill the evening. The most recent all-nighter was from the EIF a good few years back, and they had the discourtesy to fade out the closing raga to make sure Breakfast was served up on time.
                  Last edited by Bryn; 16-11-16, 12:39. Reason: Typo

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    I would add that even last night's offering was something of a sampler, rather than a typical classical Indian music event where only one or two ragas would fill the evening.
                    Yes, it was a tailored 'concert' for an audience that wouldn't necessarily be drawn to a more usual performance. But still …
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• CGR
                      • Aug 2016

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                      http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b082kvq4

Was it in 1988 or so that at the Proms, the BBC held a virtually all-might Indian Classical Music concert: started about 11 or midnight abdn went on for ever, until 6-ish in the morning?

So glad to hear the programme tonight. Am always surprised that R3 does not take this genre more seriously more often.
                      Pity it wasn't on at 11 or midnight this time.

What a bore. Turned it off.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by CGR View Post
                        Pity it wasn't on at 11 or midnight this time.

What a bore. Turned it off.
                        your loss tho I admit it was somewhat slow to get going with too much intro (tho this did seem well researched and authoritative) - I used to enjoy the R3 Indian classical recitals from early 70s onwards - they were more reverential and somewhat less wordy than this concert - personally I find significant audience participation, however authentic it might be, quite difficult to take on the radio, not being physically there I can't see the reaction etc and would prefer going back to the older style.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                          personally I find significant audience participation, however authentic it might be, quite difficult to take on the radio, not being physically there I can't see the reaction etc and would prefer going back to the older style.
                          I didn't quite like to say that! But I think there is a point to be made about whether you are yourself participating or merely listening to other people participating. For me, it's the music that's interesting, not the ambiance, sharing or participation which are just distractions.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            I didn't quite like to say that!...
                            as I get older I worry less about such things - maybe I appreciate the concept of 'holy fools' who don't appreciate the dress code of emperors

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

I fear there was more wittering than I wanted, but the playing was exceptional. I truly hope we get more, and better presented too.
                              Mustn't look a gift horse etc etc...............

Comment

Working...
                              X