• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Firebird BBC N.O.W.

I've just been listening with half an ear to The Firebird, conducted by Sondergard and the BBCNOW. Was this the 'complete' ballet score? I must say I prefer one of the Suites (isn't 1919 the most usually played?) as there seemed to be some slightly rambling bits. If watching the ballet (which I've sadly never done) these probably make sense, but for a concert airing, Stravinsky was probably wise to make distilled versions.. (Am I being a Philistine?).
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    ... (Am I being a Philistine?).
    Hmm, how stoned are you?

Comment

• bluestateprommer
      • Nov 2010

I've just been listening with half an ear to The Firebird, conducted by Sondergard and the BBCNOW. Was this the 'complete' ballet score?
      It was indeed the complete Firebird, no quotes needed. It was a good, solid rendering, the finale of a pretty full, nicely assembled menu of a program, with 3 French works in the first half (Debussy, Ravel, Ibert).

I must say I prefer one of the Suites (isn't 1919 the most usually played?) as there seemed to be some slightly rambling bits. If watching the ballet (which I've sadly never done) these probably make sense, but for a concert airing, Stravinsky was probably wise to make distilled versions.
      For practical reasons, it wouldn't surprise me if musicians themselves would prefer the suite. But for the full panoply, rambling bits and all, the complete score makes more sense out of the "hit numbers".

Comment

• Alison
        • Nov 2010

Another chance to hear the complete ballet after tonight's interval.

Don't suppose any booger is listening ...

Comment

• Tapiola
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
          for the full panoply, rambling bits and all, the complete score makes more sense out of the "hit numbers".
          Agreed. I always feel short-changed when I listen to any of the suites. The 'movements' of the suites do need the 'transitions', to my mind, of the full score to provide a coherent whole.

In answer to Alison's question, no, this booger is not currently listening.

Comment

• gedsmk
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            Another chance to hear the complete ballet after tonight's interval.

Don't suppose any booger is listening ...
            Bit of let down so far. Balance issues, tempi slower than usual causing ensemble problems in faster section. some very odd stuff coming from the trumpet section in the last few pages also.

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gedsmk View Post
              Bit of let down so far. Balance issues, tempi slower than usual causing ensemble problems in faster section.
              Pretty tame ending too.

Doesn't alter the main issue though, complete ballet best.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                • Nov 2010

The tempi were in fact generally fast (pace the comment above) which didn't help the ending, which was pretty perfunctory. And yes, the trumpet work prior to that had been smudgy, but then when your principal is excused (as it seems) first trumpet duty... He had been on for the first half but was doing offstage work in Firebird. The programme got this wrong though it was still a darn sight closer than some recent attempts.

I do wonder however which programming genius at the BBCSO decided that Firebird, which for brass is pretty heavy on the chops, would be a good conclusion for a concert starting with a newly-commissioned (ergo unknown quantity) "Concerto for Brass". I'm afraid the latter was a big disappointment, lots of effect and little substance (even for a "concerto"); there are plenty of recent and not so recent pieces that deserve an outing, and I wish BBCSO resources were put to better uses than often happens.
                Last edited by EnemyoftheStoat; 08-12-16, 23:47. Reason: Shouldn't write this on an iPhobe.

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Is this how it should be done?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Is this how it should be done?
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD6OKfnB34E
                    I adore that film - the conductor's movements reduced to the absolute minimum, and the orchestra firing on all cylinders to play what he's written for them. Superb stuff! (Never sure about the finger-lickin' page-turnin', though - The Name of the Rose has a lot to answer for!)
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                    X