• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Vilde Frang and M's Violin Concerto

OK, the Mendelssohn is much played, and rightly so. But I was bowled over by Norwegian violinist Vilde Frang's playing of it (superbly accompanied by the Berlin Phil and Rattle) this afternoon on R3. It really made me sit up and listen...and I was entranced.

The Berlin Philharmonic performs music by Grieg, Mendelssohn, Beethoven and Dvorak.
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

There is a DVD of her performing it with Rattle coupled with the aerobics just out which gets a very positive review from RO in Gramophone this month

Comment

• Rolmill
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      There is a DVD of her performing it with Rattle coupled with the aerobics just out which gets a very positive review from RO in Gramophone this month
      Well, that's stretching a point (even for autocorrect)....

But yes, RO's review makes this DVD sound very tempting and he seems equally taken with Rattles Eroica () as he is with Frang's Mendelssohn. I've only heard her live once (Prokofiev 2 in 2013 with the Philharmonia) and was impressed, both by her technical security and by her musical phrasing.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        Not the easiest discs (DVD or Blu-ray) to find on amazon.co.uk. However, it is here.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Not the easiest discs (DVD or Blu-ray) to find on amazon.co.uk. However, it is here.
          How the heavens does one get from Eroica to aerobics ?

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

How the heavens does one get from Eroica to aerobics ?
            ...a crossword puzzler might note that 'Eroica' is entirely contained within 'aerobics'.

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

...but vaguely back on topic, Vilde Frang is playing on R3's lunchtime concert today.

Comment

Working...
              X