X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Radio64
    • Jan 2014

Tubular Brass play Tubular Bells

Sorry not really "classical" but I wish R3 had picked up on this ... Sounds excellent, especially for me as fan of the original work and of Ms. Peel in more recent years.

Sandy Smith’s brass band transcription of Tubular Bells is an improbable triumph. He draws heavily on composer David Bedford’s 1970s orchestral arrangement, along with Mike Oldfield’s two recorded versions. Musically the work holds up very well. But the original 1973 LP sounds distinctly murky in places: this was a live performance in which every strand was audible.
    "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Hi Radio64, yes I am trying to locate this on amazon, or somewhere because this does sound very good project, from what the article was saying. I find it truly amazing as to how brass bands and wind bands can carry works off, especially the ones that, like this, that really make you think what else is there?
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Radio64
      • Jan 2014

Cheers. I don't think there are any official recordings available yet although I would be glad if anything came up.

Meanwhile, I found this:

"Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

It'll be certainly an album to have. Brilliant. I think if I remember, the band was Hammonds Saltaire. A fine band indeed.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
        X