• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Royal Scottish N Orch/Peter Oundjian;DSCH 8/24 May 2016

The second consecutive recorded Radio 3 in Concert from Glasgow last night,(24 May), with the RNSO/Peter Oundjian, performing a spirited Prokofiev PC, 2, with Nikolai Lugansky as soloist. The second half was a riveting performance of DSCH, Sym 8; congratulations are also due to the engineers for the detailed clarity of the sound on both evenings, although separate locations were used for each concert; Glasgow's City Hall/Monday and Glasgow's Royal Concert Hall last night.

Of course, my first allegiance for DSCH's, Sym 8, will always be the Leningrad PO/Mravinsky at the RFH Hall, Sept 1960, CD 2 of a 20 CD collection on the peerless BBC Legends series,
    ica classics label, but last night's performance held me absorbed throughout. Indeed, I did some homework after the performance and was tempted to discover the availability of a DVD, War Symphonies, 4-9, a documentary featuring Kirov Orch/Rotterdam PO/Gergiev, now wending to my address - my fingers already fluttering in anticipation.
  • gedsmk
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
    The second consecutive recorded Radio 3 in Concert from Glasgow last night,(24 May), with the RNSO/Peter Oundjian, performing a spirited Prokofiev PC, 2, with Nikolai Lugansky as soloist. The second half was a riveting performance of DSCH, Sym 8; congratulations are also due to the engineers for the detailed clarity of the sound on both evenings, although separate locations were used for each concert; Glasgow's City Hall/Monday and Glasgow's Royal Concert Hall last night.

Of course, my first allegiance for DSCH's, Sym 8, will always be the Leningrad PO/Mravinsky at the RFH Hall, Sept 1960, CD 2 of a 20 CD collection on the peerless BBC Legends series,
    ica classics label, but last night's performance held me absorbed throughout. Indeed, I did some homework after the performance and was tempted to discover the availability of a DVD, War Symphonies, 4-9, a documentary featuring Kirov Orch/Rotterdam PO/Gergiev, now wending to my address - my fingers already fluttering in anticipation.
    Enjoyed this thoroughly too. the engineers made a decent job of capturing the acoustic, rather better IMHO than for the BBCSSO's relay from City Halls, unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
    X