Radio 3 in Concert: Philharmonia/Salonen - RFH: Stravinsky Rite of Spring &c.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Radio 3 in Concert: Philharmonia/Salonen - RFH: Stravinsky Rite of Spring &c.

Very well worth a listen to the second half which starts just after 01:00:00 here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07b28tg

I've just posted a report here having attended the concert.

The transmission seems to bring the timps to the fore even more than they were in the hall, where they were brilliantly taut and powerful... the result being slightly to make the piece seem like a concerto for timps and orchestra. But a number of the other orchestral colours and highlights I revelled in at the RFH are strongly audible in the broadcast too.

I see the critics liked it too...

It seems we just can’t get enough of Stravinsky, the 20th Century’s most original, protean and famous composer.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• VodkaDilc

I agree that the performance of The Rite of Spring was stunning. This is a fascinating series of concerts, with some of my favourites, like Les Noces and Oedipus Rex, coming in the future. I was in my favourite area - row P or thereabouts in the stalls. The orchestra was on great form and I agree that R3 gave a good representation of the sound - less fiddling about with sound levels than we often get in the Proms. I wonder if the engineers find the RFH easier to manage.

I am unsure about the inclusion of dancers in Agon. It suggested that the music could not stand on its own, unlike The Rite. The programe for the series suggests that something similar might happen with Les Noces. My feeling is that if I want to see a staged ballet I will go to Covent Garden.

That gripe apart, it was a great evening. The Philharmonia is on very good form at present. The guest Principal Timpani player should be signed up for the vacant position ASAP.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
      I was in my favourite area - row P or thereabouts in the stalls.

... The guest Principal Timpani player should be signed up for the vacant position ASAP.
      Seconded.

And yes, I was in row AA, the one on the gangway half-way back in the stalls, so a few rows behind you. The sound of the Rite seems to have been ideal around that sort of area, but less so alas where Pulcinella was seated further up under the balcony. As teamsaint pointed out on the 'last concerts' thread, I've noticed in the past that the overhang can have a dampening effect when in the rear stalls....

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Lesson learned: worth paying more for a better seat!

Comment

• VodkaDilc

That gripe apart, it was a great evening. The Philharmonia is on very good form at present. The guest Principal Timpani player should be signed up for the vacant position ASAP.
          They had another guest player for the recent Elgar 2 performances around the country under Edward Gardner, which I caught at Oxford. Competent, but dull, with none of the spark of the Rite timpanist. I must find out more about this player.

Update: here he is:

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

They had another guest player for the recent Elgar 2 performances around the country under Edward Gardner, which I caught at Oxford. Competent, but dull, with none of the spark of the Rite timpanist. I must find out more about this player.

Update: here he is:

https://be.linkedin.com/in/antoine-siguré-91179a46

Antoine Siguré is on Facebook. Join Facebook to connect with Antoine Siguré and others you may know. Facebook gives people the power to share and makes the world more open and connected.

Btw did you notice Paavo Jarvi was an audience member on Sunday evening, sitting in the front stalls?

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Confidence in my ears restored after listening with the score to Salonen's recording of the Symphonies, albeit with the London Sinfonietta, in 1990.

A very faithful rendition, unlike what I heard on Sunday!

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                https://www.facebook.com/antoinesigure

Btw did you notice Paavo Jarvi was an audience member on Sunday evening, sitting in the front stalls?
                I didn't see him, but was told he was there.

I also noticed the Facebook profile, but I am too old to know how to gain access to it.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                  • Jan 2014

Is this a harbinger that we may be seeing more of Parvo Jarvi in London ? (Presume London). I'd be happy to see that happen....

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Must listen!!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Seconded.

And yes, I was in row AA, the one on the gangway half-way back in the stalls, so a few rows behind you. The sound of the Rite seems to have been ideal around that sort of area, but less so alas where Pulcinella was seated further up under the balcony. As teamsaint pointed out on the 'last concerts' thread, I've noticed in the past that the overhang can have a dampening effect when in the rear stalls....
                      Another fine Stravinsky concert last night. Les Noces is a stunning work and this was as good as any performance I've heard. From my usual seat, the pianos were slightly underpowered (except in the high, bell-like sections). Perhaps the positioning, with the players all facing the conductor, was not ideal. The soloists, choir and percussion were all on good form - and E-P S obviously enjoyed it all.

I wonder how it came over on the radio. I noticed two figures in the commentary box, so I expect there was a lot of 'chat' - something I am not sorry to have missed.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Another fine Stravinsky concert last night. Les Noces is a stunning work and this was as good as any performance I've heard. From my usual seat, the pianos were slightly underpowered (except in the high, bell-like sections). Perhaps the positioning, with the players all facing the conductor, was not ideal. The soloists, choir and percussion were all on good form - and E-P S obviously enjoyed it all.

I wonder how it came over on the radio. I noticed two figures in the commentary box, so I expect there was a lot of 'chat' - something I am not sorry to have missed.
                        Choir practice last night for me, but might catch up later.
                        Was there any staging/movement in this concert, as there was for Agon?
                        I think Stravinsky is on record (no pun intended) saying that Les Noces was his own favourite; it's certainly one of mine. A possible summer BaL for us to air our thoughts on recordings?

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                          Choir practice last night for me, but might catch up later.
                          Was there any staging/movement in this concert, as there was for Agon?
                          I think Stravinsky is on record (no pun intended) saying that Les Noces was his own favourite; it's certainly one of mine. A possible summer BaL for us to air our thoughts on recordings?
                          Renard had separate singers and dancers, which worked well; Mavra was staged, very amusingly. Les Noces had a straightforward concert presentation - though, somewhat puzzlingly, the four dancers from Renard were mentioned as 'performers'. I wonder if they were left out as a last-minute decision (they were even mentioned in the additional programme sheet distributed at the door). There must be a story behind this; perhaps radio listeners were given the information.

One more surprising point - a quote from the programme: "since it is not possible to translate the original Russian libretto literally, no English surtitles are provided for tonight's performance." I sang in Les Noces about 45 years ago; we definitely sang in English. I can remember many of the words: "Virgin Mary come; come and aid our wedding……." etc. I imagine it was not very close to the original; but it seems odd to describe the libretto as "not possible to translate".

And for those who were at The Rite of Spring, Antoine Siguré WAS the timpanist again - amidst a huge battery of percussion.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Just getting round to a second attempt at listening to Thursday night's (2nd June) "Myths and Rituals" concert via the iPlyer Listen Again facility, the first attempt having been abandoned due to multiple glitches/brief drop-outs in the version first available. I'm hoping this newer, edited version resolves the problem. That said, I find the fading in and out of the bells horribly kitsch.

So far, so good with the more recent posting on the iPlayer. No glitches yet detected. However, I think I will record it and edit out those damned bell interstices.
                            Last edited by Bryn; 04-06-16, 07:58.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              Just getting round to a second attempt at listening to Thursday night's (2nd June) "Myths and Rituals" concert via the iPlyer Listen Again facility, the first attempt having been abandoned due to multiple glitches/brief drop-outs in the version first available. I'm hoping this newer, edited version resolves the problem. That said, I find the fading in and out of the bells horribly kitsch.

So far, so good with the more recent posting on the iPlayer. No glitches yet detected. However, I think I will record it and edit out those damned bell interstices.
                              I caught only Requiem Canticles on Thursday night before going out, and had intended to LA to the whole concert. Did the beginning catch the announcer on the hop? It started almost immediately after the end of CotW, with hardly any time for an introduction, and no preliminary applause.
                              Do you mean bells other than those written in the score, Bryn?

Comment

Working...
                              X