X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Edinburgh International Festival 2016

The programme for the EIF has just been announced. I haven't gone through it in detail yet, but English music fans should not that Elgar's 'The Apostles' features.

(perhaps this could be made into a seperate page (?) like the Proms, or at least a 'sticky' under Performance?)
  • Cockney Sparrow
    • Jan 2014

Thanks for the alert!
    On a quick look - also - Vanska/Minnesota -Sibelius and Beethoven, 23 August. Surely they must also take in the RaH proms whilst in the country?
    (Perhaps that has been noted before, I haven't noticed though).

Comment

• bluestateprommer
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
      Thanks for the alert!
      On a quick look - also - Vanska/Minnesota -Sibelius and Beethoven, 23 August. Surely they must also take in the RaH proms whilst in the country?
      I had the same reaction, and wondered about that. Two of the other concerts on the Minnesota Orchestra's tour to Europe this summer are these:

August 24, Amsterdam (Concertgebouw)
      August 26, Copenhagen (Tivoli)

The 25th is unaccounted for at this moment, among others. The orchestra's own press page mentions:

"The current season (2015-16) will conclude with a four-country European tour from August 18 to 27 led by Music Director Osmo Vänskä and featuring Finnish violinist Pekka Kuusisto. A special Send-Off Concert will be held at Orchestra Hall on Tuesday, August 16, 2016. More information about this tour will follow in a press release in April."
      This could possibly mean The Proms, which would be doubly sweet, given that the labor dispute nixed their scheduled 2015 Sibelius cycle. But we shall see.

Back to the main topic, per Flosshilde's remark: it makes total sense for there to be a separate thread for the EIF R3 relays, and concerts for those fortunate enough to attend live. I'll definitely add the EIF R3 relays to the Forum calendar when the time comes (not that the Forum calendar gets a lot of traffic during The Proms & EIF, at a guess - I don't have Google analytics data there, as I'm a nerd, but not that much of a nerd).

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Thanks for the alert!
        It's often the case that an appearance at the EIF also means an appearance at the Proms.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
          • Nov 2010

Thanks for the alert!
          Alas, no, according to the Star Tribune (I assume the Twin Cities daily?) reporting on a news release from the orchestra, Lahti, Copenhagen (Tivoli Festival), Amsterdam (Robeco Summer Nights) and Edinburgh (EIF).

Comment

• Simon B
            • Dec 2010

Also Gurrelieder w/ BBCSSO/Runnicles/Assorted-Others is allegedly heading south for a repeat at t'Proms...

Comment

• bluestateprommer
              • Nov 2010

Following up on various posts:

Minnesota Orchestra tour this summer: unfortunately for The Proms, HighlandDougie is quite correct about the orchestra not going to the RAH. The orchestra's press release is at this link.

Gurrelieder: per Simon B's post, actually, the timing and direction are actually in reverse, based on the the EIF's listing of the event, which says (emphasis mine):

"...Donald Runnicles brings the 2016 Usher Hall concerts to a dazzling conclusion with Schoenberg’s epic mega-cantata Gurrelieder, marking his very last concert as Chief Conductor of the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra."
              If there will indeed be a Prom with the same forces this summer, then based on the EIF's information, that putative Prom must occur before Sunday, August 28. It would mark Runnicles' final Prom as BBC SSO chief conductor, to be sure, but not his final concert as chief conductor.

General remark on Flosshilde's post: actually, from just my own observations of assembling the Forum calendar with The Proms and EIF R3 relays, and toggling back and forth between the Forum and the EIF's site, I've honestly seen remarkably little correlation between ensembles from outside the UK which appear at both EIF and The Proms in the same season. It's admittedly a general given that UK-based ensembles are more likely to appear at both, the obvious case being the BBC SSO each year, or an orchestra like the Philharmonia which had EIF dates last year, in addition to its annual Proms gig. Just MHO.

Comment

Working...
              X