• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Handel: Brockes Passion: R3 in Concert: Monday 23 March

I’ve just found this. Anybody listened (I am about to start iPlay-ing)?

Easter at King's: in a concert from King's College Chapel Cambridge, Stephen Cleobury conducts the King's College Choir and the Hanover Band in Handel's rarely-performed Brockes Passion.

Recorded at King's College on Holy Saturday, introduced by Donald Macleod

Ailish Tynan (soprano)
    Helen Jane Howells (soprano)
    Benjamin Williamson (countertenor)
    Ben Johnson (tenor)
    Roderick Williams (baritone)
    Morgan Pearse (baritone)
    Ed Lyon (tenor - Evangelist)
    Choir of King's College Cambridge
    The Hanover Band (leader Theresa Caudle)
    Stephen Cleobury conductor
    The Choir of King's College, Cambridge under Stephen Cleobury in Handel's Brockes Passion.

Host: if this programme has been posted elsewhere, please delete this.
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

Thanks, DS, I missed this - not a work I know at all, and it hasn't been very lucky on disc for some reason. I'll try and give it a listen this weekend.

Comment

• Gordon
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
      Thanks, DS, I missed this - not a work I know at all, and it hasn't been very lucky on disc for some reason. I'll try and give it a listen this weekend.
      I missed it too but have had a recording for a long time, well worth a listen. The first I remember was an Archiv LP set back in the 60s from the SCB now on CD. An early work of course but none the worse for that. Comparison with Teleman's setting is of interest and that many other composers also set it and it's thought that Bach knew it and copied it out for study when writing the St John. Must find that CD set....

Actually another Easter piece of Handel's - next in the HWV - is La Resurrezione also well worth a listen. There is a CD set by Hogwood around somewhere which I've had for a while but not sure if it's still available but there are others.

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

La Resurrezione is indeed a wonderful piece. I remember going to a performance of it by Hogwood back in the early 80s on Easter Sunday at the RFH. His recording is excellent - there have been several other good versions of it since, too.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
          La Resurrezione is indeed a wonderful piece. I remember going to a performance of it by Hogwood back in the early 80s on Easter Sunday at the RFH. His recording is excellent - there have been several other good versions of it since, too.
          Oh yes - it was a big part of my Handel splurge ('Calibanes Passion') in the 90s, I had/have the Minkowski - loved the drive and the ensemble playing and singing, less sure about some of the soloists as I recall.

Always meant to give the live recording on Virgin by Le Concert d’Astrée/Emanuelle Haim a whirl, but have not so far got round to it.
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Another catch up!
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• doversoul1
              Ex Member
              • Dec 2010

La Resurrezione

I love watching this performance.
              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Maddalena: Kateřina Kněžíková, soprano
              Angelo: Hana Blažíková, soprano
              Cleofe: Mariana Rewerski, alto
              Lucifero: Eric Stoklossa, tenor
              San Giovanni: Tobias Berndt, bass
              Collegium 1704
              Conducted by Václav Luks

Not sure when this was recorded (must be in the credit somewhere) but Václav Luks doesn’t dance about as much as this these days.

Comment

Working...
              X