X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aeolium
    • Nov 2010

Two Ghosts?

I very much enjoyed the lunchtime concert given yesterday by the ATOS Trio playing piano trios by Haydn, Beethoven and Mendelssohn, but it was surprising to hear Katie Derham describe the wonderful Beethoven E flat trio op 70 no 2 as the 'Ghost'. It wasn't just misattribution, as she went on to describe the qualities that supposedly gave the Ghost trio its nickname, and concluded by saying something like "And now let's hear the ATOS Trio play Beethoven's Ghost trio, otherwise known as op 70 no 2 in E flat".

It may well of course be that Ms Derham is just reading a script written for her, in which case she is not at fault for that error, though you'd hope that most presenters would have the knowledge to pick it up and correct it pre-broadcast, if that was the case.
  • amateur51

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
    I very much enjoyed the lunchtime concert given yesterday by the ATOS Trio playing piano trios by Haydn, Beethoven and Mendelssohn, but it was surprising to hear Katie Derham describe the wonderful Beethoven E flat trio op 70 no 2 as the 'Ghost'. It wasn't just misattribution, as she went on to describe the qualities that supposedly gave the Ghost trio its nickname, and concluded by saying something like "And now let's hear the ATOS Trio play Beethoven's Ghost trio, otherwise known as op 70 no 2 in E flat".

It may well of course be that Ms Derham is just reading a script written for her, in which case she is not at fault for that error, though you'd hope that most presenters would have the knowledge to pick it up and correct it pre-broadcast, if that was the case.
    Most presenters and certainly all producers, aeolium

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
      • Nov 2010

I agree entirely amateur51. I've given up mentioning the now more than weekly errors on the schedules, who the hell are R3 employing????? I'm desperately looking for another job at the moment, how about it R3?

Comment

• kuligin
        • Nov 2010

This the problem of asking presenters to speak with authority about the quality of music and performance. If they were mererly acting as informed continuinity announcers no one has a poroblem with odd mistakes, although the quantity of errors now makes one wonder if any one anywhere is checking at all.

As soon as these experts make basic errors and surely knowing the major works of Beethoven is taken for granted, then henceforth all credibility is lost although in this case it has been apparent for some time whatever other talents Ms Derham has and notwithstanding the enthusiasm she brings to the tasks given to her, she does not have a deep knowledge of classical music.

I now take all "facts" pronounced on Radio 3 with a large pinch of salt, as like Suffolkcoastal I spot at least one error a week, and as I am well aware that my knowledge is far from profound many others may be trumpeted on a daily basis

Comment

• Frances_iom
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kuligin View Post
          ...whatever other talents Ms Derham has and notwithstanding the enthusiasm she brings to the tasks given to her, she does not have a deep knowledge of classical music.
          she became sometime ago a member of the growing club (founded by SR) known as the mute swans as I hit the mute button as quickly as possible - can CFM not offer her an even better paid job ?.

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            Most presenters and certainly all producers, aeolium
            Amateur51, I adore your new avatar!!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
              Amateur51, I adore your new avatar!!
              Oh cheers, MickyD! - she's one of my heroes!

And thanks to Angle for turning the pic round to my liking

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                • Apr 2007

Have we perhaps all missed a major re-cataloguing of LvB's complete oeuvre? Playlist, The Times's weekly radio and TV listing, offered his 2nd piano concerto, the Emperor, tonight.

I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                  • Nov 2010

Talking of 2nds the schedule this week has Gergiev conducting Schubert Symphony No 2 in C 'the Great' ! The axe needs to fall on a number of R3 staff starting with the controller me thinks.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                    It may well of course be that Ms Derham is just reading a script written for her, in which case she is not at fault for that error,
                    According to KD's back announcement on LA the mistake was originally in the concert's programme note, and it was then corrected (on air?). It should be a lesson to the BBC, though, that programme notes and CD liner notes (to say nothing of Wikipedia articles) aren't the last word in reliability. It is surprising that, even if a lapse failed to pick up the mistake in the programme, a pre-transmission check didn't jog the memory by revealing that Op 70/2 doesn't have a slow movement.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                      Have we perhaps all missed a major re-cataloguing of LvB's complete oeuvre? Playlist, The Times's weekly radio and TV listing, offered his 2nd piano concerto, the Emperor, tonight.

What Köchel number would that be, Mr Fry?

Derham & Fry, legal advisers to the inconsequential

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                        • Nov 2010

Another good gaffe on the schedules from last night's In Tune, Mozart's Sonata K331 has now apparently changed its key to D major! I think someone should put together a book of R3 gaffes since 2008, I think it may run to several volumes!

Comment

Working...
                        X