Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

It now merely remains for me to hear what this poor trumpeter got up to....
    Thanks Cali. It's just that he seemed to be not up to the part - playing loads of wrong, split, whatever, notes, in a particularly (given the instrument) ear-splitting way. I just felt sorry for the other three, standing a foot away from him, as their efforts were in vain, Ms Podger included. The middle movement, in which he just has to stand there holding his instrument but not playing it, went better.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      Thanks Cali. It's just that he seemed to be not up to the part - playing loads of wrong, split, whatever, notes, in a particularly (given the instrument) ear-splitting way. I just felt sorry for the other three, standing a foot away from him, as their efforts were in vain, Ms Podger included. The middle movement, in which he just has to stand there holding his instrument but not playing it, went better.
      Several years ago I was lucky enough to conduct a few concerts with the BBCNOW. The programmes included Sibelius's symphony #1, Beethoven 5, Nielsen Helios overture, R. Strauss Sonatina for Wind etc. All the wind and brass were superb and particularly ( in 'score order' ) the principal flute, oboe, clarinet, horn and trumpet. The trumpet player, Philippe, a Belgian as I recall, had a most beautiful 'ringing' tone. if this was the player concerned ( I haven't yet heard it) I guess he must have simply had an 'off night'... Bach's trumpet writing in Brandenburg 2 is FIENDISH. Paradoxically, the modern valved 'piccolo' trumpet, although theoretically rendering the part 'easier to play' than the valveless baroque instrument, is much more difficult to balance with the other 3 soloists as its tone can be very shrill, loud and harsh.
      Maybe he was missing notes by trying to play too quietly?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Tony View Post
        The trumpet player, Philippe, a Belgian as I recall, had a most beautiful 'ringing' tone. if this was the player concerned ( I haven't yet heard it) I guess he must have simply had an 'off night'... Bach's trumpet writing in Brandenburg 2 is FIENDISH. Paradoxically, the modern valved 'piccolo' trumpet, although theoretically rendering the part 'easier to play' than the valveless baroque instrument, is much more difficult to balance with the other 3 soloists as its tone can be very shrill, loud and harsh.
        Thanks for this Tony. No it wasn't the excellent Philippe Schartz, whom I've heard many times with BBC NOW, most recently in Bruckner 8 last year. It was one Simon Desbruslais, a new name to me. He didn't appear to be trying to play quietly, quite the reverse

Comment

• Richard Barrett
          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Tony View Post
          It does sound as if that might have been part of the problem, but if it was that was a serious miscalculation.

Yet another argument for not playing this music in arrangements for instruments that didn't exist when it was written!

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Bach's trumpet writing in Brandenburg 2 is FIENDISH
            Yes, but lots of present day trumpeters have got that and other high trumpet parts under their belts on either piccolo or 'natural' trumpets. On hardly needs mention Crispian Steele Perkins.....

It is sad to dwell on others' misfortunes, but I have to say there must have been a dreadful error in judgement somewhere. We're not talking of a few split notes here and there, but of someone completely incapable of tackling the part in the first place. Oh dear.
            Last edited by ardcarp; 12-03-16, 17:45.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              Yes, but lots of present day trumpeters have got that and other high trumpet parts under their belts on either piccolo or 'natural' trumpets. On hardly needs mention Crispian Steele Perkins.....

It is sad to dwell on others' misfortunes, but I have to say there must have been a dreadful error in judgement somewhere. We're not talking of a few split notes here and there, but of someone completely incapable of tackling the part in the first place. Oh dear.
              Mr Desbruslais has a very impressive web site: http://www.simondesbruslais.com/
              Apparently Brandenburg 2 is being played by the same ensemble in Cheltenham town hall tonight.
              Last edited by Tony Halstead; 12-03-16, 18:35. Reason: typo

Comment

• Maclintick
                • Jan 2012

I think you've put very well what I was trying to get at in my first post, Ardcarp. Barring mitigating circumstances such as illness, accidents & the unavoidable screw-ups which plague daily life, it seems likely that a player was placed in a position in which he or she was unable to cope. Revisiting the concert today, I find I was a little harsh in describing the string-playing as "ropey" and would, pace RT, aver that this in no way reflected on Rachel Podger, but on audible mishaps in the cello/bass sections which may have been exacerbated by the radio balance -- IMHO erring towards the unflatteringly forensic. It's quite a while since I visited the splendid Brangwyn Hall, many years before its 2014 refurb, so I've no idea how this would have affected its "pristine" acoustics, but I would have expected a rather more forgiving presentation on-air than BBC NOW received.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

[COLOR="#0000FF"

It now merely remains for me to hear what this poor trumpeter got up to.... [/COLOR]
                  It wasn't me, honest¬!!!! .......................
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    It wasn't me, honest!!!! .......................
                    Bbm are you sure you didn't whip it out and give 'em Brandenburg 2 on your fluba?

"...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Bbm are you sure you didn't whip it out and give 'em Brandenburg 2 on your fluba?

Definetely wasn't me!
                      Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Definetely wasn't me!
                        Still haven't listened to the concert but it sounds as if it might have been better if it had been you and your Old Faithful !!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Still haven't listened to the concert but it sounds as if it might have been better if it had been you and your Old Faithful !!
                          Well, everybody enjoyed my playing, last Friday evening at the end of term concert!
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Well, everybody enjoyed my playing, last Friday evening at the end of term concert!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

!!!!! Your term ended three weeks before Easter???
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Once Was 4
                                • Jul 2011

Well it sounded to me as if he was either overcome by nerves or had something like a cold sore on his lip (which could then have led to the former). I have been there and it is a terrible experience - I hope that he did the right thing i.e., shrugged his shoulders regretfully, had a drink, went home and forgot all about it - tomorrow being another day and another concert hall.

One of my better moments was when a young female horn player - then still a student - went through something similar in a concert when I was also playing. I met her in the corridor afterwards and she was in a terrible state - tears rolling down her cheeks and snot coming out of her nose. She said something to the effect of - "that was terrible, I let everyone down!" I affected an attitude of mock horror and said "and look, there's some fluff on your sleeve as well!" going on to pretend that I was flicking something away from her before saying "all gone now, safe journey home, see you tomorrow!" She is having a very succesfull career now and has given me more than one peck on the cheek for that evening and very nice too.

Some pillock of a music critic once wrote a book about Toscanini and his concerts in London with the Philharmonia where the 1st trombone had a similar experience - saying that this was 'inexcusable behaviour' by the trombone player. No wonder a lot of us would like to throw every music critic in the country into a huge bowl of custard.

Comment

Working...
                                X