X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marvin
    • Jul 2011

Live concert from Berlin last night.

I watched the first part of this concert, live, last night as I wanted to see Maurizio Pollini play Chopin's Ist Piano Concerto. I was a trifle disappointed as this great man is possibly passed his sell by date now or perhaps he was not at his best for personal reasons.
    There were many instances of poor intonation and perhaps inability to strike exactly the right note at times.
    I suppose age has its effects on us all eventually and this shows up with pianists in their Seventies. Still, as expected he got a great ovation as is the norm with great masters and interpreters of their instruments.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by marvin View Post
    I watched the first part of this concert, live, last night as I wanted to see Maurizio Pollini play Chopin's Ist Piano Concerto. I was a trifle disappointed as this great man is possibly passed his sell by date now or perhaps he was not at his best for personal reasons.
    There were many instances of poor intonation and perhaps inability to strike exactly the right note at times.
    I suppose age has its effects on us all eventually and this shows up with pianists in their Seventies. Still, as expected he got a great ovation as is the norm with great masters and interpreters of their instruments.
    Interesting. I know Brendel gave up appearing at the Proms before he finally retired because the Proms are always broadcast and he didn't want any recordings of his later concerts. In the atmosphere of the hall, small slips are more readily ignored, perhaps.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• slarty

It is difficult to judge as this was the third night of three performances of this, maybe it was just one too many. The first concert was 14th January, repeated on the 15th and 16th (Digital CH).
      However if you can tune into Deutschlandfunk Kultur radio, next tuesday(19th) at 20:03 then the broadcast of the first of these three performances from the 14th January can be heard. I imagine that Pollini will be heard to better effect.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by marvin View Post
        Maurizio Pollini ... is possibly passed his sell by date now or perhaps he was not at his best for personal reasons.
        As a matter of interest, did you mean intonation ? Not sure how a pianist can be guilty of that - it's surely the piano-tuner's fault, no...?
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• marvin
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          As a matter of interest, did you mean intonation ? Not sure how a pianist can be guilty of that - it's surely the piano-tuner's fault, no...?
          No, didn't mean intonation but not sure as to what I meant to say. Suffice it to say, it wasn't the cleanest of performances by this great artist.

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

My first day in Berlin for the Musikfest and some operas.
            I've just come away from the Philharmonie, Berlin with the Konzerthausorchester Berlin under Ivan Fischer playing:
            Il Vitalino raddoppiato, Ciacona per violino concertante ed orchestra da camera soloist Julia Fischer; a lovely concertante work in a late-Romantic vein.
            The main work the Bruckner Symphony No. 7 in given a rattling good performance. Ah, those Wagner tubas are to die for.
            Last edited by Stanfordian; 13-09-16, 22:20.

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Tonight at the Musikfest Berlin I have just attended the sell out concert conducted by Andris Nelsons with the Berliner Philharmoniker:
              Debussy Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune
              Varese Arcana
              Berlioz Symphonie fantastique
              I haven't heard the Debussy and Berlioz played better and the Varese which I was glad to hear was thrilling.
              Last edited by Stanfordian; 13-09-16, 22:19.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Tonight at the Musikfest Berlin I have just attended the chamber music hall at the Philharmonie -
                Pierre-Laurent Aimard, & Tamara Stefanovich playing Boulez's the complete work for piano solo and the Structures: Deuxième Livre.
                Last edited by Stanfordian; 13-09-16, 07:37.

Comment

• silvestrione
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                  Tonight at the Musikfest Berlin I have just attended the sell out concert conducted by Andris Nelsons with the Berliner Philharmoniker:
                  Debussy Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune
                  Varese Arcana
                  Berlioz Symphonie fantastique
                  I haven't heard the Debussy and Berlioz played better and the Varese which I glad to hear was thrilling.
                  I bet they wish he'd agreed to be their next chief conductor. But why didn't he, anyway?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

The Simón Bolívar SO this evening in Turangalîla, I see, with Thibaudet...

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

Tonight at the Philharmonie, Berlin I attended the concert from Orquesta Sinfónica Simón Bolívar/Gustavo Dudamel
                      Jean-Yves Thibaudet (piano), Cynthia Millar (ondes martenot)
                      Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras No. 2
                      Messiaen: Turangalîla Symphonie

Comment

• Alison
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                        I bet they wish he'd agreed to be their next chief conductor. But why didn't he, anyway?
                        I still haven't heard the new bloke conduct! Can't even recall his name right now

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

Tonight at the Philharmonie, Berlin I attended the concert by the Bayerisches Staastsorchester conducted by Kirill Petrenko:
                          Ligeti – Lotano
                          Bartok – Violin Concerto No. 1 (soloist Frank Peter Zimmermann)
                          Richard Strauss - Sinfonia Domestica
                          encore Tannhauser overture

I must say Kirill Petrenko was extremely impressive.

It's been roasting hot here for 5 or 6 days now in a month or 2 it could be freezing weather off the Urals.
                          Last edited by Stanfordian; 15-09-16, 06:58.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                            Tonight at the Philharmonie, Berlin I attended the concert from Orquesta Sinfónica Simón Bolívar/Gustavo Dudamel
                            Jean-Yves Thibaudet (piano), Cynthia Millar (ondes martenot)
                            Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras No. 2
                            Messiaen: Turangalîla Symphonie
                            And how was it?

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              And how was it?
                              Gustavo Dudamel's players were slightly untidy in the Villa Lobos and better and exciting in the Turangalîla Symphonie but its not a work I especially enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                              X