• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sydney Grew
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

About, by and/or of - a musical sounding

Here is something for the many well-read and erudite people on this Forum:

1) any Member can contribute a short piece of text, or a photo-graph, related to a composer or performer of the Radio-3 type. The quoted text could for example come from a book or from somewhere on the Inter-net or from a concert programme.

2) any other Member may then attempt to identify the person or persons referred to in the quotation (i.e. say "about whom it is", or identify the author of the quotation (i.e. say "by whom it was written"), or the people who appear in the photo-graph (i.e. say "whom it is a photo-graph of").

If after a suitable interval no one knows the answer, the original poster should of course come back and tell us.

If the idea becomes air-borne we might if requested think about a scoring system, even, but for now let us just see if there is any interest. Here then are two examples to begin with:

I) WHO wrote the following, and WHOM is it about? (The first sentence is one of the longest I have ever seen!):

"If it is possible for the reader to imagine a man with an encyclopaedic mind which never forgot anything he heard, or read, or saw in the course of his lifetime and could recall instantaneously and play in the most incandescent way any work from Bach, Wagner to Bartók; if the reader could imagine that mind allied to the most generous and selfless of hearts in a human being with a nobility and beauty of build, of presence, romantic in the lineaments of his face, and always propelled by a creative genius whether in speaking, teaching, conducting, playing the violin, the piano, and, very particularly, in composing, the image would still not be complete; a man full of humour (and a most amusing caricaturist) as well as deep philosophy, conversant with the languages and literatures of Europe and England, a man imbued with the highest forms of chivalry and fundamental earth-loving patriotism - this would be the teacher I had since I was eleven, continuously for two years, then again for five years and then intermittently over the years that were left to us together. No book can do justice to a man of this breadth and nobility.

"Although I am older now than he was when he died, and although I have not seen this great man in over thirty years, he remains for me the most extraordinary human being, the greatest musician and the most formative influence I have ever experienced."
  • Sydney Grew
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

My second example:

II) WHO are the nine gentlemen in this photo-graph?

Comment

• makropulos
      • Nov 2010

I rather like this idea Anyhow, here's my attempt:

I'm fairly sure the first example is Menuhin writing about Enesco (in the preface to the book by Noel - forget-his-surname [apologies for that]).

The second is Fauré at the piano, with the founder members of the Société musicale indépendante, including Ravel (just above Fauré's head), Koechlin (with the beard), Caplet and others - I think the bald chap is Emile Vuillermoz, and the two at the far left are the publisher Mathot and composer Roger-Ducasse. The others... Florent Schmitt, I think? Which leaves just one, and I'll guess it's Jean Huré.

Comment

• Sydney Grew
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
        I rather like this idea Anyhow, here's my attempt:

I'm fairly sure the first example is Menuhin writing about Enesco (in the preface to the book by Noel - forget-his-surname [apologies for that]).

The second is Fauré at the piano, with the founder members of the Société musicale indépendante, including Ravel (just above Fauré's head), Koechlin (with the beard), Caplet and others - I think the bald chap is Emile Vuillermoz, and the two at the far left are the publisher Mathot and composer Roger-Ducasse. The others... Florent Schmitt, I think? Which leaves just one, and I'll guess it's Jean Huré.
        Well done Member Makropulos! The first quotation is indeed from Menuhin, describing Enescu (as reported by Noel Malcolm).

And you have identified many of the men in the photograph: Fauré, Ravel, Koechlin and Vuillermoz.

Caplet, Mathot, Roger-Ducasse and Huré are indeed in it. But where? Can any one spot or pin-point them precisely? Schmitt is not there at all. To summarize from the left, standing:

unknown 1, unknown 2, Ravel, unknown3, Koechlin, Vuillermoz, unknown 4

and seated:

Fauré, unknown 5

Comment

• makropulos
          • Nov 2010

Let me try this... Roger-Ducasse sitting next to Fauré at the piano (at least I think that's R-D's rather fine moustache). Standing, left to right: 1. ???, 2. Mathot, 3. Ravel, 4. Caplet, 5. Koechlin, 6. Vuillermoz, 7. Huré. Which leaves the first person on the left the mystery man here. The moustache made me think it was Roger-Ducasse, but on reflection I'm fairly sure he's beside Fauré (which would make sense for all sorts of reasons).

Well, that's the best I can manage at the moment. I hope you'll put me out of misery before too long with the answer. Meanwhile, I'll plot something similar.

Comment

• Eudaimonia

Great idea! Here's a quick one for you...

He was utterly self-centered by nature, and yet he never thought of himself. His work was all and all. [...] Those carnivores of genius, who think they are vegetarians! I have found it so all my life. People speak of ethics but they hardly experience them.

Comment

• makropulos
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eudaimonia View Post
              Great idea! Here's a quick one for you...
              I think that's the much-married Alma (cf Tom Lehrer) talking about Mahler ?

Comment

• Sydney Grew
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Let me try this... Roger-Ducasse sitting next to Fauré at the piano (at least I think that's R-D's rather fine moustache). Standing, left to right: 1. ???, 2. Mathot, 3. Ravel, 4. Caplet, 5. Koechlin, 6. Vuillermoz, 7. Huré. Which leaves the first person on the left the mystery man here. The moustache made me think it was Roger-Ducasse, but on reflection I'm fairly sure he's beside Fauré (which would make sense for all sorts of reasons).

Well, that's the best I can manage at the moment. I hope you'll put me out of misery before too long with the answer. Meanwhile, I'll plot something similar.
                All correct Mr. Makropulos and very well done! - which leaves as you say the mystery man on the left. Hint: he too was a composer.

Comment

• amateur51

I think that's the much-married Alma (cf Tom Lehrer) talking about Mahler ?
                  Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

[the only way I'm going to contribute to this erudite thread, I reckon ]

By the by, is there a recommendable biography of Alma? Or do we have to piece her life together from sections from the biogs of "Gustav and Walter and Franz"? laugh:

Comment

• makropulos
                    • Nov 2010

amateur51, great link

As for a biography, there's Karen Monson's "Alma Mahler - Muse to Genius" (1983) which I certainly remember enjoying when I read it years ago. There's also an edition of Alma's early diaries (up to 1902).

Possible interest here too - a useful summary of her life (over several pages of this website): http://www.alma-mahler.at/engl/almas...lmas_life.html

Comment

• makropulos
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
                      All correct Mr. Makropulos and very well done! - which leaves as you say the mystery man on the left. Hint: he too was a composer.
                      Thanks for the clue. I want it to be Delage - is that right? If it isn't then by process of elimination it probably has to be Paul Sordes, but I've no idea what he looked like.

Comment

• amateur51

amateur51, great link

As for a biography, there's Karen Monson's "Alma Mahler - Muse to Genius" (1983) which I certainly remember enjoying when I read it years ago. There's also an edition of Alma's early diaries (up to 1902).

Possible interest here too - a useful summary of her life (over several pages of this website): http://www.alma-mahler.at/engl/almas...lmas_life.html
                        Many thanks for this suggestion & for the fascinating link, Makropulos

Comment

• Eudaimonia

M: Bravo! If you were here, I'd give you a real one:

Comment

• umslopogaas
                            • Nov 2010

post 9 amateur51

There's Alma Mahler's biography of Gustav:

'Gustav Mahler Memories and Letters' trans. by Basil Creighton and abridged from 'Gustav Mahler: erinnerungen und briefe' (1940). The english translation was published by Murray in 1946, I own a copy published in 1947 by The Readers Union and John Murray. I'm ashamed to say I havent read it, but it looks as if you'll get a lot of info about Alma in the course of her carefully filtered (apparently) reminiscences, and the letters section is a large selection of his letters to her.

Comment

• Eudaimonia

U: that's the book I pulled it from--good stuff! Here's another stumper:

Purity and peace-- a deep craving for these two-- lives in his breast, complementary to his thirst for life. And when the craving reacts against his attempt to seize upon immediate pleasure, then art--it is a fresh complication in his relations to her--appears to him in the light of a hindrance to his healing.

Comment

Working...
                              X