X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CallMePaul
    • Jan 2014

Radio 3 in concert Mon 02.11.2015

A 75th Birthday Concert from Wigmore Hall by Stephen Kovacevich was advertised for last night, on R3 and in the press. However, when 7.30 came, the studio announcer said that the BBC was "unable to broadcvast the advertised concert". No reason was given, either then or att he end of the replacement concert. Given that the BBC is funded by what is effectively a tax on TV viewers and that it usually takes this seriously, why was no reason given?

Does anyone who uses this forum know why the broadcast might have been cancelled at very short notice? Was it for technical rteasons (this is usually stated on the rare occasions this happens), a dispute with the artist or his management, or some other reason? I feel that we have a right to know!

Having said that, I did very much enjoy the replacement concert of (mainly) French Baroque music. I assume that this had been recorded for later transmission and was available, but this will now have to be replaced on its intended broadcast date.
  • CallMePaul
    • Jan 2014

The birthday concert also featured Martha Argerich and is reviewed here: http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...w-wigmore-hall

It seems to have been something of an occasion! However, the reviewer refers to Argerich as Kovacevich's "former wife". I thoiught that they were partners, not spouses. Was not Argerich married at the time to Charles Dutoit and did he not divorce her because of her relationship with Kovacevich (then Bishop)?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
      The birthday concert also featured Martha Argerich and is reviewed here: http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...w-wigmore-hall

It seems to have been something of an occasion! However, the reviewer refers to Argerich as Kovacevich's "former wife". I thoiught that they were partners, not spouses. Was not Argerich married at the time to Charles Dutoit and did he not divorce her because of her relationship with Kovacevich (then Bishop)?
      Too much information.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

WIKI in both articles on Argerich and Bishop/Kovacevich/Bishop-Kovacevich describes them as being married "in the 1970s", after her divorce from Dutoit. Their daughter uses her mother's surname.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

I have the impression (I don't know why or where from) that Bishop-Kovacevich can be a bit 'touchy' & capricious. If that's the case perhaps he decided that he didn't want the BBC to record/broadcast the concert & simply told them that the deal was off. They're unlikely to announce that the broadcast was cancelled because he got in a paddy & flounced off (although 'technical difficulties' might cover it ).

(I don't think being in receipt of public funding makes the BBC more or less liable to give a reason for every decision. Courtesy, in this case, might require it.)

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

... I recall Skellers said earlier in the day that the concert was to be broadcast at a later date. Fog at Heathrow was mentioned - but since the concert itself happened I was not clear why this was relevant : Skellers said it was all a bit complicated to explain why there had been a change of plan as far as the broadcast dates were concerned.

Comment

• Howdenite
              • Nov 2010

There was no evidence of microphones at the concert, which was a fantastic experience. I can't imagine anything could have been recorded with no microphones visible, so I wouldn't hold out much hope for a later broadcast of the event.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                I have the impression (I don't know why or where from) that Bishop-Kovacevich can be a bit 'touchy' & capricious.
                And Argerich … ? The Guardian review:

"The fact that the planned live BBC Radio 3 broadcast had been pulled that afternoon made one wonder how the final rehearsal had gone."
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                  • Jan 2014

I think I've heard him interviewed in the last month or two, saying that he finds performing stressful,or perhaps something more strong than "stressful" so perhaps it lessened any concerns to know he would have to deal with any unforeseen consequences only with a, no doubt, friendly audience in the hall who wished him well.

I also heard a conversation on R4 about Al Pacino, in his 70s, using autocues in a stage play he is currently appearing in - and the sympathy expressed that critics and the public should give him a break.

I went to a music club performance by Stephen Bishop over 40 years ago, when I was a teenager. He was asked to draw the raffle (!). He waspishly observed that he didn't know what it was in aid of, but they could do better than put it towards a new piano.......

(Incidentally I don't feel that a licence fee payment entitles me, and all those who don't pay a licence fee to know everything we might want to know from the BBC. Lots of information is not in the public domain for all sorts of reasons).
                  Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 03-11-15, 22:31.

Comment

• Pianophile
                    • Dec 2010

I was rather disappointed not to hear this last night as tickets were as rare as hen's teeth

Comment

Working...
                    X