• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Angela Hewitt at the RFH

Angela Hewitt is one of my all-time favourite pianists. No-one comes near IMHO to her playing of Bach and Handel on the piano, and tonight's Performance on 3 was no exception. She went on to play the Brahms 'Handel' Variations, and explained she liked to play it more like Handel than Brahms. Miss Hewitt is a deeply thoughtful player and obviouisly had her reasons. To me it sounded like neither composer and inhabited an awkward hinterland. 20th century concepts of neo-classicism were not, I am sure, part of Brahms' conception of the piece, and making it sound like Brahms would seem sense to me.

I love AH's playing of 20th cent French piano repertrory...but this was sadly not on tonight's menu.
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

I did enjoy the Eroica Variations. Not totally convinced that the "Fazioli is the Ferrari" of pianos, although I do take her point about Steinways. Not sure why I was surprised that she played the Liszt/Schumann "Widmung" as an encore, but then she is full of surprises.
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• gradus
      • Nov 2010

Sorry I missed this as I too like her playing, some very fine Ravel (Valses nobles at sentimentales) broadcast the other day.
      Intrigued by the comment re Fazioli as I've heard her play live on one (and other pianists too) and have to say that I've not been overwhelmed by the sound of the piano, perhaps it delivers a very superior performance under the fingers?

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

I've heard both AH and Demidenko live on Faziolis. They sounded pretty good to me. Both those artists are particular fans of the marque, and as they are both terrific pianists there must be something a bit special about them. Perhaps they are 'Ferraris' because they cost more!

Comment

Working...
        X