X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Tonight's Performance on 3

Can anyone please explain the duration of tonight's concert, consisting of Musorgsky's La Coutouriere, duration approximately 3 minutes in the original piano version; Schumann's Cello Concerto, lasting 36 minutes or thereabouts in available recordings; and Debussy's La Boite a Joujoux (presumably in the Caplet arrangement, though it doesn't say), which plays for about 36 minutes?

75 minutes for a concert billed in RT as 135 minutes doesn't compute.

I want to know, because I am interested to hear the Debussy work for the first time, but am invited to a local jazz gig tonight which starts at 8.30.

Explanations would be most welcome!

S-A
  • Roehre

The mussorgsky arrangement may be slightly longer, as the concert programme of this concert states that a Gopak was played as well. That makes approx 6 minutes in total then, if it's only the Coutourière, it is -as you stated- around 3 minutes.
    The Schumann concerto doesn't exceed the 30 minutes, Debussy/Caplet is around 32 minutes.
    That all makes it 108 minutes, one hour 48 minutes all together.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Thanks, mercia and Roehre. There's often a lot of "chat" during these evening concerts too, I've noticed of late. I think I'll take my chances on the best part of the gig here being the second half.

Comment

• Chris Newman
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Use iPlayer and enjoy both gigs at your leisure, S_A.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Well, those of us who were actually tuned in at the start of Performance on 3 tonight will have been well aware that the concert was to be followed by a repeat of a Gergiev directed performance of Tchaikovsky's Winter Daydreams symphony.

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

Well, I put the radio on and got the tail end of something french by Debussy and it was all over in a few minutes at 815pm!

In the 2nd half they then played warm up music by Ravel then Tchaikovsky symphony no.1. For such a rare symphony Radio 3 and Classic FM have ironically played it a lot this year!
            Perhaps they will soon do this with no.3..

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Then I'm glad I went to my jazz gig.

BTW whatever happened to mercia - or was/is "she" a figment of my imagination??

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                whatever happened to mercia - or was/is "she" a figment of my imagination??
                'mercia' is regularly to be found on the Alphabet Associations thread on Platform 3....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  'mercia' is regularly to be found on the Alphabet Associations thread on Platform 3....
                  Aha - thanks! Her messages must have been deleted. Is this possible??

Comment

• Roehre

Deleting a message is possible through the "Edit Post" function.
                    I used it a couple of times when I was too late to reply an answer at the Classical Music Association Thread

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

mercia's message #5389 on page 539 of the Alphabet assoc thread is still extant...

Comment

Working...
                      X