X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

Radio 3 In Concert : Edinburgh Festival

Possibly overlooked in the aftermath of the Proms but just to mention there was an excellent* Bruckner 9 from the BBC SSO and Runnicles last night and what is shaping up to be a compelling Matthew Passion ** from Wrigglesworth and the same band tonight . Some very good solo singing …

*by excellent I mean arguably superior to some recent Bruckner from more stellar names…

** in the Mendelssohn version which I’ve never heard before.
    Last edited by Ein Heldenleben; 18-09-24, 20:36.
  • edashtav
    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
    Possibly overlooked in the aftermath of the Proms but just to mention there was an excellent* Bruckner 9 from the BBC SSO and Runnicles last night and what is shaping up to be a compelling Matthew Passion from Wrigglesworth and the same band tonight . Some very good solo singing …

*by excellent I mean arguably superior to some recent Bruckner from more stellar names…
    I need to catch up with the Bruckner as I have found Runnicles to be fine Brucknerian in the past.

Like you, I have heard many good things in tonight's St Matthew Passion. However, the transmission fails to clarify the chorus which sounds muddy and inhabiting an acoustic space which differs from that of the soloists and Orchestra.
    Last edited by edashtav; 18-09-24, 23:29.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by edashtav View Post

I need to catch up with the Bruckner as I have found Runnicles to be fine Brucknerian in the past.

Like you, I have heard many good things in tonight'd St Matthew Passion. However, the transmission fails to clarify the chorus which sounds muddy and inhabiting an acoustic space which differs from that of the soloists and Orchestra.
      The sound world Mendelssohn created was extraordinary. It sounds so “modern” or is that Bach ?

Comment

• mopsus
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
        However, the transmission fails to clarify the chorus which sounds muddy and inhabiting an acoustic space which differs from that of the soloists and Orchestra.
        I feel rather sad that we hear this chorus year after year and the Three Choirs Festival Chorus, every bit a match for it, hardly ever. I suppose the reason is that all the equipment for broadcasting a concert with orchestra is set up in Edinburgh, whereas you tend to get only chamber concerts and an evensong from Three Choirs.

Comment

• edashtav
          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by mopsus View Post

I feel rather sad that we hear this chorus year after year and the Three Choirs Festival Chorus, every bit a match for it, hardly ever. I suppose the reason is that all the equipment for broadcasting a concert with orchestra is set up in Edinburgh, whereas you tend to get only chamber concerts and an evensong from Three Choirs.
          I'm afraid that you're probably correct, mopsus , that it's a mattter of financial stringency and convenience but it's sad not to hear the massed Thtre Choirs.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
            Host
            • Jun 2018

Yesterday's Irish Baroque Orchestra concert was interesting - inc. Donald Macleod's usual, impeccable announcification.

Irish Baroque Orchestra from the Edinburgh International Festival

Irish Baroque Orchestra recreates an 18th century Dublin concert in the time of Handel through the eyes of the eccentric entrepreneur and horn player Mr Charles.

Handel: Overture to Il Pastor Fido
            Hasse: Concerto in F
            Hasse: Concerto Op 4 No 1
            Handel/Walsh (arr.) Va tacito, from Giulio Cesare
            [Interval Music: Elgar: Sea Pictures Op 37 performed by Janet Baker, London Symphony Orchestra and John Barbirolli]
            Charles: Duets for Horn, Suite 1: Chasse
            Geminiani: Concerto Grosso in D minor 'La Folia' (after Corelli)
            Telemann: Napolitana
            Bocchi: Sonata X
            Lully: Marche pour la cérémonie des Turcs
            Handel/Walsh (arr.): Mvts from Water Music Suite No 1
            Handel/Walsh (arr.): Mvts from Water Music Suite No 2
            More information on this concert (or a very similar one) & Mr Charles here:
            In May 1742, an advertisement appeared in the Dublin Mercury:At the MUSIC HALL in Fishamble-street, To-morrow being Wednesday the 12 th of May, 1742, will be performed. A GRAND CONCERT of MUSIC by Mr. CHARLES, the HUNGARIAN, Master of the French Horn, with his Second; accompanied by all the best Hands in this City.It finished with a curious note about the instruments to be performed:N. B. The Clarinet, the Hautbois de Amour, and Shalamo, were never heard in this Kingdombefore.‘Mr. Charles’ was p

Comment

Working...
            X