X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonfan
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
    Haven’t watched the adjudication yet, but having listened to the extracts in this evening’s BBCFour quarter-finals, the lad playing harp is a complete magician and if he doesn’t go forward, I’m boycotting the rest of this competition!
    No boycotting needed Nick! Superb programme with complete performances of each musician shown.
    Magic!

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Really it's hit the apples, pears and oranges thing again. That was always a difficulty with the previous format - how do you compare a brilliant tuba player with a superb violinist?

I can't say I find the new format better than the previous one, but the young players are extremely talented. I guess I don't dislike the format [I do...] so much that I won't ever watch it again if this carries on, but surely there ought to be a better way.

Just because the earlier formats were wanting in some respects is not a good reason to change to something which [IMO] is worse.

Driven by money and entertainment factors I think.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

I did once watch this programme, but from memory we used to get a rather bigger picture of the pretenders from an earlier stage in their progress, which allowed for a broader angle from which viewers could assess; but it seems we are only now presented with the end-process, am I right?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
          No boycotting needed Nick!
          Indeed! I was glad the judges agreed with me!
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Indeed! I was glad the judges agreed with me!
            Yes the harpist (to be clear) was an apparently unanimous jury choice for the one guaranteed place in the semi-final. There will then be two (?) 'wild cards' from quarter final 1 to be added to the semi-final later.

I believe that the Canadian pianist (Mr Wang?) is in the lunchtime concert tomorrow Tuesday 1 October (though the website is woefully inadequate on information). I was hugely impressed by him.

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

In this episode they - annoyingly, to me - had to bring up irrelevant orchestral music (sounded almost like tuning up ) when people (performer, Jess) were talking to camera; or the jury were whispering among themselves about the performance. I do hate this knee-jerk response to such speech/silence/one-person-talking moments of putting background music on. Really why the h*ll do directors do this...?! (Answers on one side of a sheet of A4 please.)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Happy to see that the judges agreed with me again after the second quarter final!
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

Happy to see that the judges agreed with me again after the second quarter final!
                  I was unable to watch... whom did they select to go through?

Comment

• jonfan
                    • Dec 2010

I favoured the violinist who played Hindemith and Franck; ready to enter the music profession, as the judges mentioned.
                    Amazing talent on display from everyone.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Richard Morrison in today's Times (hopefully shareable):

Apart from talent, the six semi-finalists in this year’s competition have one thing in common — none of them comes from a state school

Comment

• Keraulophone
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        Richard Morrison in today's Times (hopefully shareable):
                        "Meanwhile, the pianist Jacky Zhang (also being taught at the RCM) left school at 12, for the simple reason that he had already passed his A-levels.
                        Astonishing young people, all of them."

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                          Yes, shareable, thanks. The bit that struck me was not the point about music opportunities in state v private education. True, but we know that. The point that took my attention was the importance of family - in particular 'not just because of inherited genes' - in nurturing musical talent. Life experience, life expectations, encouragement are also fundamental.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Yes, shareable, thanks. The bit that struck me was not the point about music opportunities in state v private education. True, but we know that. The point that took my attention was the importance of family - in particular 'not just because of inherited genes' - in nurturing musical talent. Life experience, life expectations, encouragement are also fundamental.
                            One could probably cite numerous instances of fine composers not raised in musical families, although non-musical early circumstances need not automatically imply parental discouragement. What has nevertheless become an increasingly evident factor about choosing a musical career has been the cutting of musical education in primary and secondary schools, the concomitantly competitive fees being demanded for private tuition, and of course college tuition fees. Encouragement from Mum and/or Dad may not be enough without the necessary "readies" to hand.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              Encouragement from Mum and/or Dad may not be enough without the necessary "readies" to hand.
                              I thought to add 'and life opportunities' which just aren't there for many children. I suspect though that there are many of these 'musical parents', not music professionals, who are neverthless middle class professionals (e.g. the Kanneh-Masons) earning good money. For the child, having the right combination of necessary factors in their favour is a matter of luck.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                                • Apr 2014

Haven’t watched the adjudication yet, but having listened to the extracts in this evening’s BBCFour quarter-finals, the lad playing harp is a complete magician and if he doesn’t go forward, I’m boycotting the rest of this competition!
                                Watching the semis. This harpist is sensational. It’s hypnotic ….

Comment

Working...
                                X