X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Does he leave mushroom for anything else?
    Might you by any chance be alluding to Lonnie Donegan's No. 1 hit 'My Old Man's A Dustman'? 'I say, I say, I say, my dustbin's absolutely full of toadstools...'

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

The answers are less than you might think and more than most people assume.
      I really don't know - but maybe a smallish team of 10 - including a couple of the experts - and not all based anywhere near London could be done for relatvely affordable costs.

"Gold plated" productions, with prima donnas expecting to live in the centre of London and have lots of technical support could cost orders of magnitude more.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

[QUOTE=Dave2002;n1319230]I really don't know - but maybe a smallish team of 10 - including a couple of the experts - and not all based anywhere near London could be done for relatvely affordable costs.

"Gold plated" productions, with prima donnas expecting to live in the centre of London and have lots of technical support could cost orders of magnitude more.

[/
        Thing is there’s not much market for that low midrange material unless it’s dirt cheap and then it’s virtually impossible to make money on it .
        Not sure you grasp just how much higher end factual costs . I’ve made programmes with smaller teams than ten but they’ve never been aimed as global sales and had outside investment . Peak time network factual history was about £250,000 an hour a few years ago and the teams are much bigger than ten . David Olsuga is mentioned above. Those UK based films are very research intensive for starters. A science series shot across several continents aimed for global sales could be considerably more - £500,000 to 750.000 per hour . A so called “blue -chip “ natural history could easily be millions per hour. The presenter is a small fraction of the total cost to be honest so it doesn’t matter where they live.
        Never worked with a “prima Donna “ - these days they don’t get employed .

Comment

• duncan
          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
          Thing is there’s not much market for that low midrange material unless it’s dirt cheap and then it’s virtually impossible to make money on it
          A friend who is a freelance documentary director works with tight budgets and small teams (3-4) but, in his words, it's hard to sell anything that does not feature "sharks, Nazis, or pyramids." Or, ideally, a combination of them.

Comment

Working...
          X