X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lordgeous
    • Dec 2012

BBC Young Musician 2024

Suprised no thread on this yet. Astonishing talent, as always. Presentation marginally better than usual BUT.....! On the strength of Alison Balsom's remarks the young trumpeter won't be going forward, but strangely she was the only performer who brought tears to MY eyes. But my, haven't you got to admire the quality of these young players. It did strike me how fortunate they were to have supportive - and well to do? - parents.
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Why on earth do they not promote this with anything like the enthusiasm for the Proms?

It is, after all, the BBC Young Musician.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Yes, Yes,Yes,
      Yes, Yes, Yes,

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Jamal the harpist and Hugo the cellist were both very impressive I thought .

Comment

• Lordgeous
          • Dec 2012

Also the Sax player, and... and...

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            Why on earth do they not promote this with anything like the enthusiasm for the Proms?

It is, after all, the BBC Young Musician.
            I wasn't actually aware the competition had started!

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I wasn't actually aware the competition had started!
              Which sums up the situation in a nutshell. I only happened to notice it when I was looking for something else. Annoyed that given all the hype and adverts for all sorts of other(much less deserving/interesting) things this is completely ignored, but it's nothing new. I've suggested before that it almost seems as if the Beeb is planing a quiet death, or at best reducing it to a single "Best of" type treatment and not showing any of the preliminary stages at all. There are enough barriers(boiling down to lack of equal opportunities) to young people going into "classical" music without sidelining one project that highlights and celebrates on a national platform those who do.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

- dead right. e,g, the BBCSO and other BBC orchs would not exist if there was no attempt to net the best. Such comps are critical and if the Beeb don' t give them adequate optics, where does the profession go for new talent?

Comment

• edashtav
                  • Jul 2012

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                  - dead right. e,g, the BBCSO and other BBC orchs would not exist if there was no attempt to net the best. Such comps are critical and if the Beeb don' t give them adequate optics, where does the profession go for new talent?
                  Live broadcasting is the natural home of competitions.

Comment

• Lordgeous
                    • Dec 2012

I guess we're not going to see anything of the Leeds Piano Competition either this year?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by edashtav View Post

Live broadcasting is the natural home of competitions.
                      It seems remarkable now that the live final of Young Musician of the Year used to be on BBC1 on a Sunday night - I recall Anna Markland's win in 1982 being followed by Thatcher telling us to rejoice at the recovery of South Georgia .

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                        I don’t think competitions are all that important in training or recruiting orchestral musicians. Much more important is a wide tuition base with millions learning instruments especially strings where I gather there is something of a crisis ; properly qualified tutors ; and an industry with a career structure and I’m not sure the UK has these.

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
                          I guess we're not going to see anything of the Leeds Piano Competition either this year?
                          See the posts by Beresford and others on the thread devoted to the Leeds competition.
                          I haven't heard a single trailer for, or mention of, the Young Musician competition on Radio 3.
                          Last edited by LMcD; 19-09-24, 12:30.

Comment

Working...
                          X