X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Yes there are still complete works; they managed to do that in the previous version as well, but the inclusion of a bigger work at 3pm as a regular feature made it marginally easier to home in on the peripheral pieces.that might have been of interest. Now I just don't bother at all.Like you the radio goes off after Breakfast but, unlike you, rarely goes back on again as the evening concerts of interest are very few - perhaps one work every now and then, but not the whole thing - and the other programmes are also not particularly my thing.
    For me at least, 'Breakfast' (Sunday to Friday), 'Night Tracks' and Soweto Kinch offer the right 'product' at the right time. That's very rarely the case in the intervening 12 hours 30 minutes!.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

For me at least, 'Breakfast' (Sunday to Friday), 'Night Tracks' and Soweto Kinch offer the right 'product' at the right time. That's very rarely the case in the intervening 12 hours 30 minutes!.
      And possibly not even those are enough to attract back listeners for whom Breakfast and Night Tracks (Where's the Beef?) are both total no-nos. And those who used to listen purely for the classical music and Do3. Plus intelligent speech programmes. Too little.

Once it gets down to so few programmes, why bother at all? As long as they get no worse you'll continue to listen. When they clunk down another rung or two maybe even you will give up?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by french frank View Post

And possibly not even those are enough to attract back listeners for whom Breakfast and Night Tracks (Where's the Beef?) are both total no-nos. And those who used to listen purely for the classical music and Do3. Plus intelligent speech programmes. Too little.

Once it gets down to so few programmes, why bother at all? As long as they get no worse you'll continue to listen. When they clunk down another rung or two maybe even you will give up?
        Awful as that prospect is, it would be unwise to rule it out, I guess.

Comment

• Retune
          • Feb 2022

Originally posted by Rcartes View Post
          What used to be Afternoon Concert, (and a whole Opera one afternoon a week, I think Thursdays?) has been junked and we now get the usual mess of single movements ripped out of whole works and the usual inane chatter: dismal!
          I really don't know why they bother with entire movements - surely just a first subject, coda or cadenza would be enough to give us a flavour of the work? Then there'd be more time to advertise 'Call the Midwife' or invite listeners to tweet their favourite classical chillout playlists. Would anyone like to DM @classicjacko to suggest this exciting new concept? I'm sure he'd enjoy unpacking it.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Retune View Post
            I really don't know why they bother with entire movements - surely just a first subject, coda or cadenza would be enough to give us a flavour of the work? Then there'd be more time to advertise 'Call the Midwife' or invite listeners to tweet their favourite classical chillout playlists. Would anyone like to DM @classicjacko to suggest this exciting new concept? I'm sure he'd enjoy unpacking it.
            Perhaps Mahler's 6th could be reduced to the final 'blows of fate' and Sibelius's 5th to Thor's hammering..

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

I had to laugh or I'd cry...
              A special live broadcast by the BBC Philharmonic
              Elizabeth Alker with a concert broadcast live from the MediaCity studios in Salford ...
              So "live" as in actual, real-time, risk of mistakes "live". Good grief, whatever next? I thought the R3 lexicon had excised "live", in its true meaning, from its pages.

Comment

Working...
              X