• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... your text is from the 1734 edition : I think FF used the 1743 edition prepared under Pope's direction. Pope went on correcting the poem until he died, and various of the lines were moved about during his revisions.
    Bravo, monsieur! I will use this to illustrate the intellectual level Radio 3 should cater for - including musically - should I reply to Mr Jackson's last. I think I shall do so because I consider the exchange 'unfinished business' rather than wasted effort. It could, of course, be both. However as I have a view ... (I discovered that it's possible to 'Contact the White House', and if one does so one is invited to 'Share your thoughts with the President'. Which I duly did ...)***

*** Not about R3, may I hastily add.
    Last edited by french frank; Yesterday, 13:27.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Bravo, monsieur! I will use this to illustrate the intellectual level Radio 3 should cater for - including musically - should I reply to Mr Jackson's last. I think I shall do so because I consider the exchange 'unfinished business' rather than wasted effort. It could, of course, be both. However as I have a view ... (I discovered that it's possible to 'Contact the White House', and if one does so one is invited to 'Share your thoughts with the President'. Which I duly did ...)***

*** Not about R3, may I hastily add.
      There is a parody version sung by Alan Price in one of his "Greek choruses" in Lindsay Anderson's 1973 film O Lucky Man, with words (as far as I can remember) as follows:

Hope springs eternal in a young man's breast
      As he dreams a life he never lived before.
      Without that dream your life is nothing, nothing, nothing,
      Until you find out that dream is dead.

Personally I would have changed that last line to Until you put that dream to bed.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

There is a parody version sung by Alan Price in one of his "Greek choruses" in Lindsay Anderson's 1973 film O Lucky Man, with words (as far as I can remember) as follows:

Hope springs eternal in a young man's breast
        As he dreams a life he never lived before.
        Without that dream your life is nothing, nothing, nothing,
        Until you find out that dream is dead.

Personally I would have changed that last line to Until you put that dream to bed.
        I think the third 'nothing' would be better at the beginning of the last line. And omit 'out'.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I think the third 'nothing' would be better at the beginning of the last line. And omit 'out'.

That's probably how it was. I'd have to go through the tape to find the correct doggerel!

Comment

Working...
          X