X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Additionally, how far was the move prompted by changes to R2?
    ….. not so much by the station but by the music it was moving towards ………

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by antongould View Post

Yes about 14 I think, and yes I would ……. although in that period, IMVVHO, R2 has changed more than R3 ……..
      Lesser of two evils? Is that why you've not been afraid to voice liking the morning schedules?

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Lesser of two evils? Is that why you've not been afraid to voice liking the morning schedules?
        IMVVHO neither is evil …… I’m happy to say R3 suits me fine, and as vints pointed out recently, this group is probably not the place for me …. but you are all such nice people ……

Comment

• smittims
          • Aug 2022

Please don't leave, anton. Do we seem snobby or cliquey about classical music? It's useful to see ourselves as others see us.

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

IMVVHO neither is evil …… I’m happy to say R3 suits me fine, and as vints pointed out recently, this group is probably not the place for me …. but you are all such nice people ……
            Anyone who likes Finzi's Dies Natalis, as I believe you do, is most definitely in the right place here!

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

as vints pointed out recently, this group is probably not the place for me ….

... did I?? That would have been very unpleasant of me! If I ever implied such, I'm really sorry - perhaps you could PM me to let me know what I said?

I really value your contributions and presence. And this place is surely big enough for all of us?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Rather than worrying about what current Radio 3 listeners might prefer, perhaps young Jackson is more concerned with trying to work out what might be to the taste of possible future Radio 3 listeners.
                To me Jackson is now just part of an entrenched cultural establishment re-shaping that taste to suit a market agenda drive to misrepresent the higher arts as insignificant other than for selling off as emotional blotting paper. He may not know that this is his role but he just goes along with it, group think wise.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Why is there even a question as to whether William Alwyn should be played on Radio 3?!

Like many composers of film music - most obviously Vaughan Williams and William Walton - Alwyn wrote 'serious' music too: operas, piano concertos, symphonies (5), tone-poems, string quartets, sonatas and much other chamber music...particularly for flute - he was one of the best flautists in London before concentrating on composition. To fund his 'serious' works he needed an income (and to fund his purchase of Pre-Raphaelite paintings) so he turned to film.

BTW, he was a fluent French speaker and made many translations of the French poets (might even prick Vinteuil's interest, if not his music).....and still had time to paint some accomplished canvases in a Fauvist manner (see covers of the Chandos recordings)

It might be instructive to read his autobiography 'Composing in words: William Alwyn on his art' (Toccata).....then we may be able to make a judgement about which of his works might be suitable for airing on Radio 3 - I've tried for years to have some of his played, with very little success.

Sir John Barbirolli commissioned and/or gave the 1st perf. of several of his symphonies.....surely they deserve to be heard, and where if not Radio 3?
                  I remember at school (early 50s) watching a black and white documentary on the then still-living Matisse, showing him at work, for which Alwyn had composed some delightful Ravel-style piano music.

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... did I?? That would have been very unpleasant of me! If I ever implied such, I'm really sorry - perhaps you could PM me to let me know what I said?

I really value your contributions and presence. And this place is surely big enough for all of us?

I'm not sure who has or hasn't been upset by whom, but, for what it's worth, it was a post by AG commenting positively on 'Breakfast' - the contents of which chimed with my own and still do - that led me to join the Forum. Let's all play nicely together, shall we?
                    Last edited by LMcD; 02-06-24, 16:33.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                      • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I remember at school (early 50s) watching a black and white documentary on the then still-living Matisse, showing him at work, for which Alwyn had composed some delightful Ravel-style piano music.
                      That's fascinating, I love the Fauves and Matisse in particular, as did Alwyn - his collection featured lithographs and prints by Braque, Gauguin and Matisse, and his own painting shows the influence of tne Fauves. In later life he put together one of the most important collections of Pre-Raphaelite paintings....considered reactionary in the post war period, quite why his 'taste' changed I can't imagine! Alwyn said they were more restful to live with!

Don't suppose you know whether those piano pieces have been recorded....I have just about all the piano music of Alwyn that has been recorded and haven't noticed anything about Matisse in the booklets. His autobiog doesn't mention the film at all.....mind you he wrote reams of other film music that's not mentioned either, neither does Wiki list it.

Edit. I had forgotten that Alwyn's piano suite 'Contes Barbares' is his homage to Gauguin.
                      Last edited by Roger Webb; 02-06-24, 16:45.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                        . Let's all play nicely together, shall we?
                        ... o, we do, we do! I like to think that Anton and I understand each other pretty well - see recent contributions on the 'Essential Classics' thread. All sweetness and light...

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

... o, we do, we do! I like to think that Anton and I understand each other pretty well - see recent contributions on the 'Essential Classics' thread. All sweetness and light...
                          Of course. It isn't a matter of whether we agree or not, but how we disagree. I'd like to think there was some sort of norm where people weren't inhibited from taking a different/individual view, and didn't take offence if someone disagreed with them.

It's when we can't agree about facts or factual statements - which don't alter just because one doesn't like them - that a degree of frustration creeps in.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

I would say beyond sweetness and light ….

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

...'To infinity and beyond!'

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Get a room, boys
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X