X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

Yes I enjoyed the Spanish concert but last nights was just not up to the Musical standard one would expect for a Radio 3 live concert - the orchestra * sounded bored with it all ( and who can blame them given how thin some of the Bond music is ) and the soloists were all over the place intonation wise .It wasn’t a terrific sound balance either. If they are not careful FNIMN is going to become an embarrassment.
    * good drumming though and very forward in the balance.
    I had some time to listen to this, but switched off after a while. I fear it may end up being not just an embarrassment but also big disappointment to R2 followers? My memories are of pleasant music well played, not what was presented last night, although as you say the theme didn't help - a 30 minute outing might have succeeded? The vocal input has been a weak point as far as I'm concerned in the bits I've heard in previous episodes, even allowing for it being a different repertoire and performance style to what I am familiar with.

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

I had some time to listen to this, but switched off after a while. I fear it may end up being not just an embarrassment but also big disappointment to R2 followers? My memories are of pleasant music well played, not what was presented last night, although as you say the theme didn't help - a 30 minute outing might have succeeded? The vocal input has been a weak point as far as I'm concerned in the bits I've heard in previous episodes, even allowing for it being a different repertoire and performance style to what I am familiar with.
      Sadly, I must agree with you. Is there a Harry Potter Evening in the offing, do you think?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

I had thought the acronym thread title stood for For not in my Name, and was thinking of contributing!

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          I had thought the acronym thread title stood for For not in my Name, and was thinking of contributing!
          Had I continued to listen to beyond 9.00 p.m., I was planning to record HIGNFY during FNiMN.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

The vocal input has been a weak point as far as I'm concerned
            It appears to be obligatory to have a pair of crooners each time - is this written in stone in the format? (I never heard the R2 precarnation). It’s like The Two Ronnies always having a singer/group sandwiched into their show. A hangover from the days of “Variety”, I guess.

Anyway, major turn-off for me…
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
              • Apr 2014

The Beeb can’t quite nail FNIMN at the moment . Tonight’s Broadway line up has just about the best Great White Way tunes ever written plus some excellent BBC Concert Orchestra playing , one absolutely lovely singer, one who is bending the tunes a bit , a variable music balance and , for some reason no live announcer …

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

[COLOR=#3300ff]It appears to be obligatory to have a pair of crooners each time - is this written in stone in the format?
                /COLOR]
                I think it was presented by Elaine Paige on R2. Don't know if she also sang. When R3 did a 'pilot' edition (The Shape of Things To Come - not so much Orwellian as HG Wellsian), Lulu was the star.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

The Beeb can’t quite nail FNIMN at the moment . Tonight’s Broadway line up has just about the best Great White Way tunes ever written plus some excellent BBC Concert Orchestra playing , one absolutely lovely singer, one who is bending the tunes a bit , a variable music balance and , for some reason no live announcer …
                  I'm pretty sure the programme's contents were much more varied back in the day. The risk you take with themed evenings is that, to take an example, you might attract James Bond fans while losing potential listeners to whom the prospect of nothing but music from 007 films holds little or no appeal.

Comment

• smittims
                    • Aug 2022

Im think this enthusiasm for 'themes' is a BBC bugbear. Radio3 in particular used to 'blitz' a certain composer until we were all sick of him. Remember all those Handel Operas? And it was some time after 1995 before I could listen to Purcell with any pleasure.

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Yes I enjoyed the Spanish concert but last nights was just not up to the Musical standard one would expect for a Radio 3 live concert - the orchestra * sounded bored with it all ( and who can blame them given how thin some of the Bond music is ) and the soloists were all over the place intonation wise .It wasn’t a terrific sound balance either. If they are not careful FNIMN is going to become an embarrassment.
                      * good drumming though and very forward in the balance.
                      I think tonight's concert on BBC4 might be the one at Alexandra Palace that marked the relaunch of FNiMN in its new home.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I think tonight's concert on BBC4 might be the one at Alexandra Palace that marked the relaunch of FNiMN in its new home.
                        "Nessun Dorma and the theme from The Magnificent Seven are just two of the classics performed by the BBC Concert Orchestra on a night of glorious music making.

Katie Derham and the orchestra are joined by tenor and MasterChef winner Wynne Evans and violinist Aleksey Semenenko to celebrate more than 70 years of BBC Radio's legendary concert series Friday Night Is Music Night.

Conducted by Anna-Maria Helsing, this special concert from London’s famous Alexandra Palace also features favourites by Tchaikovsky and Sibelius.

For the past seven decades, Friday Night Is Music Night has been a staple of BBC radio, and this concert marks an exciting new chapter in its history. Millions of listeners have enjoyed it on BBC Radio 2, and now in its new home on Radio 3, it continues to showcase the mix of music that listeners have always enjoyed."

[2 Samuel 1:27]
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          it continues to showcase the mix of music that listeners have always enjoyed."
                          [2 Samuel 1:27]
                          We shall see;it's not doing it for me so far.
                          "The weapons of war have perished!" Would that were so...

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

We shall see;it's not doing it for me so far.
                            "The weapons of war have perished!" Would that were so...
                            Proof, were it needed, that radio has the best pictures. After about 10 minutes I decided I would derive more satisfaction from watching my recording of last night's episode of 'Budgie', a welcome repeat from the early 1970s that never fails to entertain. .

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Proof, were it needed, that radio has the best pictures. After about 10 minutes I decided I would derive more satisfaction from watching my recording of last night's episode of 'Budgie', a welcome repeat from the early 1970s that never fails to entertain. .
                              My comment was referring to the FNIMN episodes on R3 so far, rather than the TV broadcast. I had the latter on but for listening not watching - and I'm glad you mentioned it as I would have missed it otherwise, being somewhat distracted by a family visit. The mix of music was very much what I would expect from the "real" FNIMN and with one exception the performance/performers were very much up to standard. Katie D was annoying as presenter/MC but that I expected, but the real low point was Wynne Evans - mute switch employed each time for his appearances.

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

My comment was referring to the FNIMN episodes on R3 so far, rather than the TV broadcast. I had the latter on but for listening not watching - and I'm glad you mentioned it as I would have missed it otherwise, being somewhat distracted by a family visit. The mix of music was very much what I would expect from the "real" FNIMN and with one exception the performance/performers were very much up to standard. Katie D was annoying as presenter/MC but that I expected, but the real low point was Wynne Evans - mute switch employed each time for his appearances.
                                It was when he began to struggle, and knowing that worse was to follow, that I switched off so as to put him out of his misery, so to speak, in at one least household.

Comment

Working...
                                X