Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Well that didn't last long. They now appear to be starting on the repeats... I suppose in BBCland it boosts their live music output as a repeat of a live concert is now counted as live.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
      Well that didn't last long. They now appear to be starting on the repeats... I suppose in BBCland it boosts their live music output as a repeat of a live concert is now counted as live.
      Leaves more money for other things! (Unless the repeats cost just as much in rights payments)
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

No it doesn’t count I think as it’s a recording and a repeat. It doesnt even count as an origination.
        Last edited by Ein Heldenleben; 11-10-24, 20:05.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Leaves more money for other things! (Unless the repeats cost just as much in rights payments)
          No they don’t - I’m pretty sure . The orchestra is in house and the artistes are either on a buyout or so-called residuals - a percentage of the original fee.
          On the wider point it does seem very early on in the life cycle of the series to be running repeats . Another sign that money is really tight I guess,
          If memory serves the tenor had a bit of a difficult night…
          Still he’s now coining it on Strictly - so much easier than those high C’s I guess

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

No it doesn’t
            If FNIMN is recorded live, I think a repeat does count as live. TTN is counted as live because they are 'live' EBU recordings, not available anywhere else on commercial discs. That's my understanding when it comes to calculating the percentage of R3 output that is 'live music'.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

If FNIMN is recorded live, I think a repeat does count as live. TTN is counted as live because they are 'live' EBU recordings, not available anywhere else on commercial discs. That's my understanding when it comes to calculating the percentage of R3 output that is 'live music'.
              It looks like repeats up to and including 1st November.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

It looks like repeats up to and including 1st November.
                So repeats of Radio 2? Or is the R3 version different in some way?

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                  • Apr 2014

Sorry I don’t think that’s right unless Radio has decided to work in a different space -time continuum. A live broadcast that is repeated can’t count as live again - otherwise you could have 100 percent live broadcasting just by repeating the same programme over and over. So if TTN was repeated it would not count as live - though the first broadcast might well be because it was recorded ‘ live.’ Confused ? I’m not surprised.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                    • Apr 2014

So repeats of Radio 2? Or is the R3 version different in some way?
                    There is no Radio 2 version - it’s been moved to R3.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Sorry I don’t think that’s right unless Radio has decided to work in a different space -time continuum. A live broadcast that is repeated can’t count as live again - otherwise you could have 100 percent live broadcasting just by repeating the same programme over and over. So if TTN was repeated it would not count as live - though the first broadcast might well be because it was recorded ‘ live.’ Confused ? I’m not surprised.
                      That probably needs to go to arbitration then! The individual segments of TTN seem to be repeated. I'm not sure that they are then excluded from the 'live music' output. Though this hardly matters since the abolition of the BBC Trust and the service licences in 2016, which laid down the percentage of live and specially (studio) recorded music required (once 50% but latterly reduced to 40% of music output). In fact all Radio 3's targets seemed to have been briefed by R3 to be well within what they could provide under current funding. Hence always exceeded triumphantly!

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

My somewhat sarcastic comment about live output is because of the tendency to list something as live which is in fact a repeat, eg
                        Live from Pershore Abbey with the Choir of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge.
                        on Sunday 29th Sep. The daytime schedule had (R) after this, but the detailed page had no indication it was a repeat. The Sunday repeat of this week's offering from Liverpool does the same.
                        The glaring example of flexible interpretation and use of the term however is Classical Live where the only live music is the Monday slot from Wigmore Hall.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                          • Apr 2014

That probably needs to go to arbitration then! The individual segments of TTN seem to be repeated. I'm not sure that they are then excluded from the 'live music' output. Though this hardly matters since the abolition of the BBC Trust and the service licences in 2016, which laid down the percentage of live and specially (studio) recorded music required (once 50% but latterly reduced to 40% of music output). In fact all Radio 3's targets seemed to have been briefed by R3 to be well within what they could provide under current funding. Hence always exceeded triumphantly!
                          Whether the totality of TTN counts as live will probably depend on what percentage of the total airtime is repeated or first outing . It all strikes me as a bit of a fiddle to be honest. Live really should be live not recorded as live unless it’s time shifted within say a few hours limit - so called deferred relays. Putting out recordings made abroad several days or weeks previously is not live in any meaningful sense of the word,

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Whether the totality of TTN counts as live will probably depend on what percentage of the total airtime is repeated or first outing . It all strikes me as a bit of a fiddle to be honest. Live really should be live not recorded as live unless it’s time shifted within say a few hours limit - so called deferred relays. Putting out recordings made abroad several days or weeks previously is not live in any meaningful sense of the word,
                            Except in BBCland relating to its own content.
                            This week I heard the start of an ad, which began"Live music lives on BBC Radio3", and then progressed to another voice, talking over music, promoting "an evening of Rachmaninov". Which had me puzzled as I had listened to the first half of a concert that had previously been promoted in just those terms. I admit it is just possible that there is another evening of Rachmaninov coming up, to be broadcast live, as I switched off the radio before the ad finished, but I'm pretty certain it was simply another "listen again on Sounds" plug. Which IMO is not the same as listening to a concert as it happens in real time - ie what I would consider to be live. However I assume that the BBC has a different take on that, to justify the blurring of the definition of live.
                            Of the week's evening concert output 2 were live, 2 recorded and 1(FNiMN) a repeat which, even if the Monday Wigmore Hall concert is included, makes the original claim questionable as far as I am concerned. There must be many a day now where whatever turns up on In Tune is the only live music(as I understand it) in the schedule.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                              • Apr 2014

This week I heard the start of an ad, which began"Live music lives on BBC Radio3", and then progressed to another voice, talking over music, promoting "an evening of Rachmaninov". Which had me puzzled as I had listened to the first half of a concert that had previously been promoted in just those terms. I admit it is just possible that there is another evening of Rachmaninov coming up, to be broadcast live, as I switched off the radio before the ad finished, but I'm pretty certain it was simply another "listen again on Sounds" plug. Which IMO is not the same as listening to a concert as it happens in real time - ie what I would consider to be live. However I assume that the BBC has a different take on that, to justify the blurring of the definition of live.
                              Of the week's evening concert output 2 were live, 2 recorded and 1(FNiMN) a repeat which, even if the Monday Wigmore Hall concert is included, makes the original claim questionable as far as I am concerned. There must be many a day now where whatever turns up on In Tune is the only live music(as I understand it) in the schedule.
                              I would allow the “ live “ definition to include deferred relays where the transmission of a concert has been shunted back a few hours or so. I would even extend to it a performance recorded as live ie with no editing . Where it gets very dodgy is if that recording is then repeated - that’s stretching things to breaking point.

The Kings Singers are definitely live now on Saturday Live which is live (with the odd pre recorded insert)

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Indeed. I won't be persuaded without documentary evidence. 'Live', 'as live' and 'live and specially recorded' have been described simply as live music. Once you link live and studio recordings together, that opens the gates to 'live repeats'. Almost anything not classed as a commercial recording can be described as 'live'. If a prerecorded concert is advertised as 'live' why would a repeat not be 'live'?

Mystifyinglyly, an FNIMN is advertised as taking place at Alexandra Palace [BUY TICKETS] on 6 November - which is a Wednesday, so it will presumably be 'as live' on Friday 8th.

Comment

Working...
                                X