X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

You have no way of knowing that. I responded positively to that discipline, and my life is culturally richer as a result. It doesn't work with all - my brothers ran a mile. But it worked for me

You may wish to buy my tee-shirt ™ "I think you will find it's a bit more complicated than that"

I suspect you are a devotee of Rousseau : I am very much not...

To be a devotee I would have had to familiarise myself with Rousseau and his ideas, of whom and which I admit have only second hand knowledge. Popularly though one thinks of Rousseau as championing untrammelled natural goodness over corruption; ultimately it was bibles and bullets with God's blessing that had enforced who or what was to be in charge. One could say humanity has survived notwithstanding weaknesses in "human nature" in need of control - whether that be by religious dogmas or some preordained "higher authority" - and posit that survival by way of evolutionary circumstances and drives, notwithstanding, that allowed for cooperation between reason and instinct because both at some deeper level were co-emergent properties rather than mutually at odds to be explained in neurological and ecological terms of understanding. Ciiviiisation had to evolve to the point at which it became possible to understand this because one had the terms and intellectual coordinates to hand. Who is standing in the way and to what purpose?
    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 11-06-24, 17:24.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
      .....who ain't got a list and little black book of some sort....eh? ....or a ad hoc number of envelope backs....
      Montaigne was a sceptic. To be a sceptic (about anything) is dependent on prior beliefs. Where do those beliefs come from?

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

....where did Montaignes beliefs come from???....from the Pope himself and his acolytes....t'was I imagine in those days a great deal easier not to suffer cognitive dissonance....Family _God and KIng with a slight bow to goodness towards those lesser than you....then again there was the massacre of Hugenots during his life....

....vint's is thinking "I wonder what the wine was like in those days....organic
        bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

....where did Montaignes beliefs come from???....from the Pope himself and his acolytes....t'was I imagine in those days a great deal easier not to suffer cognitive dissonance....Family _God and KIng with a slight bow to goodness towards those lesser than you....then again there was the massacre of Hugenots during his life....

....vint's is thinking "I wonder what the wine was like in those days....organic
          That's it. I have a good friend who is sceptical of my views on this subject, not trusting in his own inclinations, which is odd as he is a thoroughly decent bloke who sometimes makes mistakes, as we all do, and never intentionally or maliciously. Self-mistrust and belief one has to be cajoled into "making something of oneself" (one of my dad's favourite clichés) is self-contradictory since how can one trust one's mistrust? I put this to a religious relative once, and he said, "Ah well we see the answer in God's grace. Believe in that and it's the only way to salvation"; so I said, but if you don't trust your own intuitions on which to base that conviction, how can you believe even that? In the end we have no choice but to trust in our inner nature, with all its over-exaggerated imperfections, or fall in line with people with psychologically unsecured interests invested and or personal axes to grind at your expense (projection in good old Freudese). As someone much wiser than I put it, the alternatives are tantamount to chewing off ones own teeth.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

....where did Montaignes beliefs come from???
            ... as he wd say - "Que sçay-je?"

I feel comfortably at home with the scepticism of Montaigne. In my more severe moods I prefer the more absolute scepticism of my hero Pierre Bayle -

Comment

• eighthobstruction
              • Nov 2010

....sounds like a sort of Spinoza type (though a few years after) , possibly their paths crosserd I don't know....
              bong ching

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                • Nov 2010

With Montaigne , his Essays were a reworking of the few books he had come across mostly in Latin: i suppose has to be called an anachronism (but then that was what scholars did in those days -rehashed)and if you said the wrong thing your head could roll and family disinherited...........in The Essays there is very little contemporary stuff (I won't call it current affairs)....because it was too close to have had a book writen about it....the herald had not arrived that morning with his news update........and of course ancient warfare, the plague, infantile death can sharpen your senses....and makes personal and second hand observation an obvious imperative....I see Bayle swopped faiths - Calvinis/RC/back to Calvinist
                Last edited by eighthobstruction; 11-06-24, 18:46.
                bong ching

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Very probably a coincidence, but tonight's FNiMN included part of 'Night Mail' just a matter of hours after the Post Office announced that it was selling off its 3 remaining trains. I greatly enjoyed tonight's concert, with its range of pieces which I would call eclectic, although others may well choose other adjectives.

Comment

• smittims
                    • Aug 2022

I didn't know the Post Office owned any trains. Royal Mail chartered some from EWS, I think , but then , just after building expensive new mail-only stations at Warrington, Newcastle and Wembley, announced they were going back to road. I've seen a occasional 325 set (often 8 or 12 cars) come up the WCML so that may be one of the three remaining ones. They do seem to make some odd, not to say wasteful decisions. About 40 years ago they flew First Class letter post using a fleet of Dakotas going in and out of the then Speke airport. I don't know why that stopped.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                      I didn't know the Post Office owned any trains.
                      I think it's the Royal Mail trains which are to be sold.

At least they don't call FNIMN 'Radio 3 in Concert'.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                        I didn't know the Post Office owned any trains. Royal Mail chartered some from EWS, I think , but then , just after building expensive new mail-only stations at Warrington, Newcastle and Wembley, announced they were going back to road. I've seen a occasional 325 set (often 8 or 12 cars) come up the WCML so that may be one of the three remaining ones. They do seem to make some odd, not to say wasteful decisions. About 40 years ago they flew First Class letter post using a fleet of Dakotas going in and out of the then Speke airport. I don't know why that stopped.
                        More here

The question of ownership comes up against perception perhaps? If asked I think the majority of folk would assume that rail operating companies own rolling stock, but they don't (which is the case with other transport as well - the mocking of Grayling's ferry plan for not having any boats was only partly justified as the company wouldn't have owned any craft - they would have been leased - even if it wasn't a figment of the imagination)
                        I do wonder how this fits with the company lined up to buy the business.

Back on topic, I agree with LMcD re last night's programme - eclectic certainly and I do wonder what listeners thought. Perhaps audiences from both sides of the divide gave it a miss - too lowbrow for the evening concert section, and too highbrow(Mahler...) for the FNIMN one?

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          Back on topic, I agree with LMcD re last night's programme - eclectic certainly and I do wonder what listeners thought.
                          For me, judging from the playlist, it's just another musical snippets programme albeit performed by a live orchestra rather than on CDs. Thirteen separate pieces, ranging from Mahler to Moon River?

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

More here

The question of ownership comes up against perception perhaps? If asked I think the majority of folk would assume that rail operating companies own rolling stock, but they don't (which is the case with other transport as well - the mocking of Grayling's ferry plan for not having any boats was only partly justified as the company wouldn't have owned any craft - they would have been leased - even if it wasn't a figment of the imagination)
                            I do wonder how this fits with the company lined up to buy the business.

Back on topic, I agree with LMcD re last night's programme - eclectic certainly and I do wonder what listeners thought. Perhaps audiences from both sides of the divide gave it a miss - too lowbrow for the evening concert section, and too highbrow(Mahler...) for the FNIMN one?
                            It shouldn’t put off anyone who loves a good tune - and I include the Mahler lieder chosen as within that definition, a nd nicely sung!

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              You're right of course, although I'm probably not alone in continuing to forget the difference.
                              The VW was an inspired choice for the interval.
                              I'm not sure that Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen constitute(s) a snippet.
                              Last edited by LMcD; 13-07-24, 09:13.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                                • Apr 2014

Enjoyed the concert last night . Presumably the BBCSO has a bigger string section than the BBCCO - opening theme sounded resplendent. Have they ever done a FNIMN before ?

On the Rail mail front does any one else mourn like me the death of RED STAR - British Rails own mainline station to station parcel delivery service ? Far more reliable than any modern parcel collect and deliver service and much cheaper. The amount of stuff the BBC used to send via that method was amazing…

Comment

Working...
                                X