Nielsen Symphonies 1 & 4. BBCPO/John Storgards. 09/06/15. 1930 hrs. Bridgewater hall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Nielsen Symphonies 1 & 4. BBCPO/John Storgards. 09/06/15. 1930 hrs. Bridgewater hall

No reviews in yet of the recently released Chandos cycle, but here's a chance to see how Storgards approaches his Nielsen...

If you don't know the 1st yet, or not well - be reassured it's a work of irresistible rhythmic invention and melodic inspiration, from beginning to end!
    Among many lovely moments, listen for the magical horn/wind exchanges on a cushion of strings, in the coda to the andante.

John Storgårds launches our Nielsen Symphony Cycle on the composer’s birthday
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 09-06-15, 02:39.
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Well that was a truly excellent Nielsen 1st - and, via HDs, some of the best sound I've heard from this hall...

OK - extended coffee break now, leaving the Mahler to others....
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 09-06-15, 21:47.

Comment

• Vile Consort
      • Nov 2010

That (the first symphony) sounded very much like his performance on CD. Surprisingly slow tempo for the first movement, which is marked minim=104 but (on CD) he takes it nearer 80. In spite of this, he gets to the finishing line 20 seconds before the performance time noted in the score, and does so without rushing the other movements. Jarvi takes the first movement at the prescribed metronome mark - compared with this interpretation, Jarvi's is a bit of a scramble.
      Last edited by Vile Consort; 09-06-15, 21:45.

Comment

• Lento
        • Jan 2014

Storgards said that No 4 is not a war symphony, but it sounded very much like it to me, at least some of the time. I may have been watching too much 1864...

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

I was there last night at the Bridgewater for Storgårds conducting the BBC Philharmonic. I enjoyed the First Symphony but the Fourth Symphony was especially thrilling.
          Last edited by Stanfordian; 10-06-15, 16:24.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Poor old Mahler - sounds as if his songs were a bit of an irrelevance....

I only heard the First Symphony and my ears were opened to it by a stirring performance and broadcast.
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

To judge from this concert, weight and clarity are the prime movers in Storgards' Nielsen. He set a moderate tempo for the allegro orgoglioso of No.1, finding a generous rubato for the second group and the more reflective episodes; but lost no impact thanks to the precise articulation of rhythm and motif, tightening up well for the coda.
              A perfectly judged Andante - not too Romantic, urgent into the long climactic passages, with lovely concluding dialogues. All the rapid mood-shifts of the scherzo were deftly touched upon, again strikingly precise in its motivic detail with tender delicacy at the close.
              The cross-rhythmic interplay of the finale was more impressive for the strong bassline, the steady tempi still ​con fuoco enough in its power and definition; again orchestra and conductor really nailed it in the coda!

A terrific 1st, belonging more with Blomstedt in Denmark or Gilbert in New York, in its freedom of expression and affectionate warmth. But probably more disciplined and better played than either of those recordings - and not far behind them in orchestral character either!

For the first three movements of the Inestinguibile, I was with Storgards all the way. No, there wasn't a sense of galaxies forming from the start, but I was still rewarded by power, weight and clarity of the musical argument rather than the more typical breakneck urgency. Orchestral balance was exceptional here - no sign of thickening or congestion, all those urgent little figures sharp and clear. The transition to the allegretto was unusually intense (again like Gilbert's NYPO release - my favourite of recent 4ths, despite a controversial ending), the wind intermezzo flowing nicely, poised perfectly between the thoughtful and the carefree. As broadcast though, the level seemed a little boosted here; just too loud, and certainly not ppp...
              A stunningly intense attack to the Adagio, where Storgards was daringly slow in the reflective episodes - but tightened and quickened into a very powerful climax.

The finale began with tonal and definitional brilliance from the strings, but I felt the duelling timpanists lacked some ferocity; and began to feel the central quiet episode was laid-back, rather than tensing in anticipation. Whilst again impressive on Storgards' own terms, for me there wasn't enough sense of a battle as the finale rejoined, the struggles not quite hard-fought enough, or hard-won; I could have done with some sacrifice of Storgards' typical control to sheer abandon in the brassy peroration, which didn't quite blaze enough. (The over-control of the webcast may have been responsible for some of this impression...)
              Having said that, the final crescendo was very powerfully sustained.

(Heard live off R3 Radio Player, HDs at 320kbps. Immaculate, spacious balance/dynamics in No.1; some level manipulation in No.4).
              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 10-06-15, 19:14.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Poor old Mahler - sounds as if his songs were a bit of an irrelevance....

I only heard the First Symphony and my ears were opened to it by a stirring performance and broadcast.
                I like Roderick Williams but did not enjoy his Wunderhorn songs as much as I had expected.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

I'll be doing my usual!
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    I'll be doing my usual!
                    A pint of Spitfire, Bbm?
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Alison
                      • Nov 2010

The BBCSO/Oramo performance of the Fourth in February was in a special class and for me this couldn't quite compete.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

Symphonies 2 & 5 are live on Saturday 13/06, then 6 & 3 (intriguing combination...) next Thursday 18/06.

All ears to anyone with more to say about the Chandos release...

Comment

Working...
                        X