X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vile Consort
    • Nov 2010

BBC Phil Nielsen Symphony Cycle

The 3 CD set has just fallen through my letterbox. Let listening commence!
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Vile Consort View Post
    The 3 CD set has just fallen through my letterbox. Let listening commence!
    Would be most interested to read your thoughts.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Ditto

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

The cover of that set looks slightly weird - a bit cartoonish. Also, the recording appears to have been made in 24 bit/96kHz, but the discs appear only to be regular CDs. Do Chandos do so-called hi-res downloads - and if they do - does it make any difference anyway? Doesn't seem to me that they do - http://www.chandos.net/details06.asp...r=CHAN%2010859

I hope that the set turns out to be really good.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
          • Nov 2010

Chandos's downloads are handled by an offshoot (classical shop.net), which offers a whole variety of labels, as well as Chandos. I've had a fair amount of bother with them in the past - their last upgrade/move of servers didn't seem to have gone very well - and their prices are higher than elsewhere (but not as high as Linn). As to the improvement in sound of 24/96 downloads over 16/48 CDs, only your ears will be able to tell the difference, although I did think that the 24/96 download of the Bavouzet/Noseda Prokofiev Piano Concertos sounded markedly sharper and with greater depth than the CDs. But, if you are after the Nielsen, here it is:

Chandos Records is one of the world's premiere classical record companies, focusing on superb quality musical recordings.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

HD msg 5

Thanks for that.

£24.97 for Studio Master level downloads does seem reasonably competitive at the present prices - for anyone who doesn't actually want to have physical CDs. Might also be of interest for anyone wanting to dip their toes into the water of hi-res downloads - though hopefully without the bother you mention.

Are most of the Chandos CDs now available in this way?

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Downloading from The Classical Shop tends to go better if you choose the Zip File option. Using their download manager works fine too, but the procedure can seem overcomplicated at first, as (on a Mac) you have to download the manager-software itself, then find it in your downloads folder, and open it by double clicking...

It does work OK after that though, as ever efficiency will depend on your broadband speed/stability. And as HD says, only your ears ( & your system, etc) can decide whether 24-bit ("Studio Master") works for you. ​But if you buy that option from TCS, eclassical or Qobuz, you get the lossless and mp3 thrown in free, so the comparison is there if you want it...

​Having bought (and heard) a lot of Nielsen this year, I'm cautiously awaiting reviews on this one! Musicweb have two fine Nielsonians, Dan Morgan & Jack Lawson... I've blown a bit hot n' cold with Storgards in the past, though I did love his Ondine Sibelius Violin Concerto with Zimmermann/Helsinki PO, and his Holmboe Chamber Symphonies on Da Capo, both in 24-bit...
              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 02-06-15, 14:10.

Comment

• Black Swan

I attended the Sibelius Cycle last year and was impressed. So I too am waiting for reviews of these recordings. On Jayne Lee Wilson's recommendation I recently purchased Nielsen 2 & 6 by Oromo. This recording although labeled as 2 & 4 has an outstanding review in the new BBC Classical Music Magazine.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  HD msg 5

Thanks for that.

£24.97 for Studio Master level downloads does seem reasonably competitive at the present prices - for anyone who doesn't actually want to have physical CDs. Might also be of interest for anyone wanting to dip their toes into the water of hi-res downloads - though hopefully without the bother you mention.

Without checking, I'm pretty sure that most if not all of the Chandos catalogue is available to download. I'm also sure that they will have got over earlier glitches with the download process.

Having now listened to a couple of the symphonies from the new cycle in its CD form, I'm pretty certain that a certain muddiness in climaxes in the recording might be clarified in 24/96 format. The recordings were made in Media City (as with the Prokofiev PCs I referred to earlier) where the same slight shortcoming in the recording on CD largely disappeared with the higher resolution of the downloads. I have to admit that I was more impressed with the recording quality of the Bernstein Espansiva than of the new one. I like the new performance, though, especially the first movement.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    HD msg 5

Thanks for that.

That value is somewhat enhanced by the fact that if you purchase the 96/24 download you also get complementary 44.1/16 and mp3 downloads, so you can still conveniently burn you own CD-Rs etc.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Black Swan View Post
                      I attended the Sibelius Cycle last year and was impressed. So I too am waiting for reviews of these recordings. On Jayne Lee Wilson's recommendation I recently purchased Nielsen 2 & 6 by Oromo. This recording although labeled as 2 & 4 has an outstanding review in the new BBC Classical Music Magazine.
                      Hiya Black Swan,

I'm looking forward to the BBC Phil's Nielsen symphony cycle starting tomorrow at the Bridgewater Hall.

Comment

Working...
                      X