• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

AAM Goes Crossover: Live in Concert Wednesday 13 May

… exploring Venice's position as a trading hub with the Ottoman Empire. They are joined by the oud-virtuoso Joseph Tawadros to re-imagine the sounds that might have been heard in the 18th century's 'bazaar of Europe'.
    [...]
    Australian violinist and director Richard Tognetti […] says that "as musicians, we love the borders, and what goes on within those borders, and we happily cross the borders".

The Academy of Ancient Music perform music centred on Venice in the 18th century.

I wonder whom he means by ‘we’.

The programme seems to be of the works by the oud player which I assume played by the AAM, linked by Four Seasons. At least Katie D. won’t have to worry about getting historical reference wrong. Have fun etc….

Key word: re-imagine
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Jordi Savall has been doing this kind of thing for about 30 years.

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

And Concerto Koln did a couple of similar themed discs a few years back - "Dream of the Orient" etc.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Phew..... I misread that as a collaboration between AMM and Andre Rieu

Comment

• doversoul1
          Ex Member
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          Jordi Savall has been doing this kind of thing for about 30 years.
          I don’t think Jordi Savall re-imagines the music or considers himself to be crossing borders. Most, if not all his projects are based on thorough research and are usually performed from the original scores or the equivalent documents. Also, Hespèrion XX / XXI is well equipped for this sort of project whereas the AAM isn’t, at least hasn’t been.
          Last edited by doversoul1; 12-05-15, 17:10.

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
            I don’t think Jordi Savall re-imagines the music or considers himself to be crossing borders. Most, if not all his projects are based on thorough research and are usually performed from the original scores or the equivalent documents. Also, Hespèrion XX / XXI is well equipped for this sort of project whereas the AAM isn’t, at least hasn’t been.

I understand your point, DS, but I am not sure that it will be a travesty. fwiw, I have over 2 dozen Savall albums, and interspersed with the historical stuff there are a few freshly composed ditties that attempt to emulate the rest of the album material. The Kings Noyse also does this in many albums, but to a greater extent than Jordi Savall.
            THe AAM Program seemd to feature a lot of Vivaldi and a lot of Compositions by one Living Composer. So there should be some stylistic consistency. Let's see what happens and listen with open ears.

Comment

• doversoul1
              Ex Member
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
              I understand your point, DS, but I am not sure that it will be a travesty. fwiw, I have over 2 dozen Savall albums, and interspersed with the historical stuff there are a few freshly composed ditties that attempt to emulate the rest of the album material. The Kings Noyse also does this in many albums, but to a greater extent than Jordi Savall.
              THe AAM Program seemd to feature a lot of Vivaldi and a lot of Compositions by one Living Composer. So there should be some stylistic consistency. Let's see what happens and listen with open ears.
              Richard
              Many thanks for posting this when you have a serious worry about your health (re: Absent Friends & Missing Persons). I hope all will go well and look forward to seeing you here again.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                • Sep 2012

Richard
                Many thanks for posting this when you have a serious worry about your health (re: Absent Friends & Missing Persons). I hope all will go well and look forward to seeing you here again.
                Actually I welcomed the diversion....

Comment

• amcluesent
                  • Sep 2011

Academy of Ancient Music, 13th May

Sound balance seems all over the place in West Road Concert Hall, Cambridge, persistent background noise despite the super-close miking.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

And at least here, via FM, a massive splurge of interferrence during the Tawadros Kindred Spirits.

Oh, and perhaps the messages in http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...dnesday-13-May might be better moved here. This is the Performance topic area, after all. The broadcast is not an edition of the Early Music Show.

Another vote for:

and

by the way.
                    Last edited by Bryn; 13-05-15, 20:20.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      And at least here, via FM, a massive splurge of interferrence during the Tawadros Kindred Spirits.
                      no that's just the bl**dy announcer who can't keep her opinions to herself and even gets the name of the group wrong - I was looking forward to this concert but one more stupid announcement and back to CDs

Comment

• doversoul1
                        Ex Member
                        • Dec 2010

I gave up after half an hour. It sounded all too much like approximated easy listening to me. Admittedly, I was in a rather suspicious mind set. I might try later. As Frances jom says, the presenter didn’t help.

I have turned to this to cheer myself up;

Giuliano Carmignola and Venice Baroque Orquestra
                        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• amcluesent
                          • Sep 2011

Yep, shame as there's little enough historically informed performances on R3. Bleeding chunks of wilfully bizarre Vivaldi, lorra lorra chat and some new-age noodlings.
                          Last edited by amcluesent; 13-05-15, 21:21.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

I gave up after half an hour.
                            So did I. The 'Egyptian' bits sounded quite authentic.... however I once spent 6 months in an apartment in Paris with an Egyptian restaurant on the other side of the bedroom wall and the music (till 3 am ) was very very similar.... very very very similar, with the repeated phrases and patterns which are fine the first few times but then...

Hence I heard enough through the wall to last a lifetime (largely when I wanted to be able to sleep instead) - certainly don't need it after a busy day at work.... and I'm afraid I'm not far off feeling the same about the old Quattro Stagione. There's so much more great stuff instead...
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              Oh, and perhaps the messages in http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...dnesday-13-May might be better moved here. This is the Performance topic area, after all.
                              Had a quick word with ff and: yes indeed
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X